Where's a good place to get a tranny rebuilt? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I live in CT and I have a 4 speed to put in my 71 40 that currently has a 3 speed. I want to get the tranny and transfer rebuilt before I install them. So does anyone know of a reputable place to get that done?

Thanks

Andy

I was asking the same question a couple of months ago. I think that will end up doing the H55 swap as the cost to get the tranmission rebuilt was very high. I think people saying $1200-1500 or more (called Marlin and they don't/won't do it). For that price you can get an H55 with lower first gear and over drive for under $2k and the tranny is new. Of course then there are drive shafts, ebrake issues, split case and linkage ect and it will end up being quite a bit more.

When I was inquiring most people told me I would be better off getting a good used unit. H42's usually pop up for around $100 or so.

As far as the t-case I have read up on it and it doesn't seem that hard if you are mechanically inclined. I have the rebuild kit and plan on mating a 3spd to my H41 until I can afford the H55 swap.

Rebuilding the t-case isn't that bad at all... get the kit and a FSM and just walk through it. Some good threads here too so search away.

Rebuilding the tanny is another story... it can be a major PIA to get the bearings out (I've tried with no luck). Even heard stories of the Toyota SST breaking before they budge. Most would recommend just getting another when the time comes. I say run what you got.

Hi Andy,

If you are interested in a local purchase...I have some set ups that might interest you...pretty local too.

I have a low mileage H42 pulled from a 84 FJ60 complete with shifter.....$120

I also have a rather nice (60-70k) 1978 4spd tranny and solid tcase from a 40 series, with all shifters ($300).

I'll be making a run down towards Albany in the next several weeks if you want to meet up, or you could just enjoy our Mud season weather and trek up here to Burlington, VT.

Let me know if you are interested.

Thanks VTcruiser. I love Burlington. I always think about moving there. I have friends that live near the dog park by the lake. Anyway I appreciate the offers on the transmissions but I have one that I think will do. How would I check mine to make sure its a good, usable unit? I dont want to install it just to have it pop out of gear or something.

Thanks

Andy

Thanks VTcruiser. I love Burlington. I always think about moving there. I have friends that live near the dog park by the lake.

I like it up there, too. But it's expensive, and the pay scale seems to be on par with the Ozarks. I don't understand that one. Ah, the joys of New England living...

Sorry I can't help you on the tranny right now, but I may have an H42 for sale in a few months. I'm hoping to swap it out for an H41/Orion setup.

Here is a couple of thoughts on why VT is pretty expensive....Pay scales are reduced because the quality of life is so good. Employers across most employment sectors don't have to compensate folks as much to get them to move or stay here via wages. This isn't true in all sectors however. Businesses that are not geographically bound, such as software development, chip R & D, etc. likely have to pay higher wages because their competitors also co-locate in idyllic places.....e.g. sunny Caribbean islands, Tuscon, Palo Alto, etc.

My wife just mentioned to me Vermont was one of only two states, in some recent time period, that experienced growth in either housing sales or prices. Despite the wage issue...people still vote with their feet......or super swampers. :)

Thanks for all the help guys. If they paid teachers as much in VT as they do in CT I would be there already. For now I will just have to visit regularly and dream...

Andy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom