Where to get a FF rear... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I too have a hard time seeing the increase in strength. Theoretically it's there (and I'll likely have a full floater eventually since I might stumble across one here in Central America) but I've sheared off all my wheel studs and not busted the axle before! Yes the studs were tight but pounding over Mexican potholes in an overloaded truck took them out.

How much of the full float rear do I actually need? I assume the housing, shafts and hubs only??

Mike S said:
I like the FF rear in my 60. makes it easy to add a Toy cable or e-locker, and it has better load capability when loaded or pulling a trailer. Small difference, perhaps. I really bought mine to set up for e-lockers...

M

Exactly the reasons for me wanting a FF. I'd love to get my dirty paws on a Toyota cable locker assembly, but more'n likely, that ain't gonna happen. I do plan on alot of towing and I regularly carry a LOT of weight in my truck, which is probably why my rear springs are so sagged now (a ton at a time of pellets for my grandmother's stove twice a year. you want squirrely steering???).

Spook50 said:
Exactly the reasons for me wanting a FF. I'd love to get my dirty paws on a Toyota cable locker assembly, but more'n likely, that ain't gonna happen. I do plan on alot of towing and I regularly carry a LOT of weight in my truck, which is probably why my rear springs are so sagged now (a ton at a time of pellets for my grandmother's stove twice a year. you want squirrely steering???).

told ya oz land, :grinpimp: :grinpimp: thousands of them

Spook50 said:

I have super low miles, JDM 60 series FF with a cable locking 4:11 in Calgary. Not too far from Eastern WA. I wasn't the least bit interested in selling it until somebody offered me a set of Volvo portals. Now I'm hard up for cash. PM me with a chance to beat your best deal when you find it. I can make you a killer deal on a Fireflex suspension that'll laugh at your ton of pellets too.

The FF is WAY stronger than any SF. The way the weight is carried on the bearings makes all the difference.

All the crap about the studs breaking are 100% related to normal maintence. If you plan to wheel it hard or do a lot of expedition type heavy weight riding than a FF is a great investment. Its not for nothing that every true HD vehicle in the world runs one type of FF or another.

My favorite thing thing about them is dropping the 3rd with the wheels still on the truck. :)

Oh yeah, think I might sell mine.

cruiser_guy said:
I too have a hard time seeing the increase in strength. Theoretically it's there (and I'll likely have a full floater eventually since I might stumble across one here in Central America) but I've sheared off all my wheel studs and not busted the axle before! Yes the studs were tight but pounding over Mexican potholes in an overloaded truck took them out.

How much of the full float rear do I actually need? I assume the housing, shafts and hubs only??

Get the whole thing... but you can swap in your brakes, third member, etc.

M

SOR has the whole thing for 450 + 55 or so for a seal kit.

My FF rear has travelled over 500,000 km's now and the only thing that I have done is replaced a seal on one side (last december). Pinion has some wear but I wouldn't have known unless someone else hadn't have shown it to me (4 years ago). I've got a diff kit and ARB locker ready to be fitted.

I haven't heard of anyone here having a problem with the studs...

Mike S said:
Get the whole thing... but you can swap in your brakes, third member, etc.

M

OK, I'm hoping to be able to pick up one from scrapped '60 series from the Honduran government. The third's usually are expensive here so I'll leave that then as I'm putting an Aussie locker in the rear of my truck next week anyways.

My FF rear is for sale (along with the rest of my 60...). :D Granted it's an 80 series FF rear (with electric locker and disc brakes with park brake)...but it's set up on my 60 series and the width is freakin' perfect with the 80 series stock alloys...and the Sky's widening kit up front matches the rear width almost perfectly (~1.5" TOTAL difference...not much at all). You can buy it with or without the front axle and you can even buy it still attached to my 60 if you want... Here's the thread if you wanna read more about it:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=59018

-Ferg-

david why do you think a FF is significantly stronger than a SF?

I can see mild strength gains but nothing major.

kinda like the reason a stock rear D60 is no major improvment over the stock rear axle...

30 spline = 30 spline

Mace said:
david why do you think a FF is significantly stronger than a SF?

I can see mild strength gains but nothing major.

kinda like the reason a stock rear D60 is no major improvment over the stock rear axle...

30 spline = 30 spline

FF none of the weight of the vehicle is supported by the axle shaft, and it is a whole lot easier to fix when busted!

If you take the 30 splines, and make them do more work than a seperate set of 30 splines that do less work, wouldn't they get fatigued quicker? I have not seen actual test results, so I am just speaking my opinion. Maybe there isn't a significant difference?

I seem to remember somewhere the argument that since the axles on the fully floater do not neck down that there is more potential for the axle to...twist (for a lack of a better word) instead of just snapping.

What we need folks is some pictures of people who have broken both stock Cruiser SF and FF shafts. 40-45-60-80s

More info that anybody could want on axle tech...http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PR-BV60/index1b.html

Simply, the neck down of the SF axle creates stress risers that don't exist in FF shafts. This is where the TORSIONAL strength of the shaft is improved.

FF shafts experience only TORSIONAL stress, while SF shafts experience combined loading (Torsional and Bending from the weight of the vehicle).

FF rear axles are superior! Not to mention easier to work on.

I have read that article a few times. One thing to remember, the FF shafts increase in size from the splines (gradually)

I do not know what the FF shafts do..

Like I said, I can see some slight advantages in teh design. But not anyHUGE improvments in strength.

I guess the question is, who has broken SF and who has broken FF shafts??

I read a story not too long ago (may have been on this forum) of someone that had a SF diff.
He said that the axle had broken while leaving a freeway via an offramp.
The wheel apparently separated from the cruiser. The vehicle could not be easily driven because the wheel wasn't attached, the handbrake no longer worked, and only the front brakes would have worked. If he had had a FF rear he could have selected 4WD and safely continued on his way (and not be stuck on the off-ramp). I think that the same thing could easily have happened on the trail.

This is the only case that I have read about, and the cruisers here don't have SF rear diffs so I don't know how common it would be. I cant say that I know of anyone here breaking a rear axle.

I'd think that it would cost more for Toyota to manufacture a FF rear axle than a SF one, so there must be some advantages to the design. Early landcruisers were aimed at mining companies (here) so I would reckon that Toyota believed that it was a good idea to put a stronger rear axle in the cruiser to survive the rougher roads.

Rodd

RoddQLD said:
I read a story not too long ago (may have been on this forum) of someone that had a SF diff.
He said that the axle had broken while leaving a freeway via an offramp.
The wheel apparently separated from the cruiser. The vehicle could not be easily driven because the wheel wasn't attached, the handbrake no longer worked, and only the front brakes would have worked. If he had had a FF rear he could have selected 4WD and safely continued on his way (and not be stuck on the off-ramp). I think that the same thing could easily have happened on the trail.

If I remember correctly, that case involved the "C" clip slipping off the end of the axle thereby allowing the axle to slide out of the housing, not a broken axle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom