Where to Eat! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bodean

Hot Damn
Threads
I figure since we have our own CLC food critic that we could have a thread about Food and where to eat at home and on the road. Post up your experiences. Several CLC members are always taking pics of food so post them as well.

Nolens write up on Beatty Street Grocery here in Jackson:

This is SO my kind of place. Jackson has some great food and I am finding it slowly but surely.

Located at 101 Beatty Street in Jackson off High Street, it is not the nicest part of town, but that is often where the great food is.

All the reports I had was that Beatty Street was a take-out only type place with a grill and a meat counter in the back of a grocery store. Since the postings I read and the reports I had, the place now has long counters and stools for dining inside. Most all of the old grocery store is gone to make room for diners.

I rolled in to get a foot long roast beef po-boy, but after seeing a burger on the grill, I had to give it a whirl.

The menu is old-school and pretty extensive for a small grill. They have everything from a grilled chicken salad to a 16 oz burger. Both sell for under five bucks!

There are more items than those on the menu posted on chalk boards, poster boards and white boards around the counter. One thing that caught my eye was Sweet Potato fries...when I ordered, I was asked if I wanted cinnamon/sugar on them......uh, that would be a yes....

Burger toppings were extensive. I added Jalapenos and Swiss cheese to my 8 oz. bacon cheeseburger. My buddy Julius ordered sauteed onions and green peppers.

Both of us considered the 16 oz, but I barely finished the 8 oz. Julius is up to the challenge of the larger burger. He also said he thinks it is the best burger he had ever had. I rank it up in the top 2 or 3 I have had with the Local 463 Kobe burger edging it out for flavor. Topping availability could make this burger tops on anyones list.

Sweet potato fries were spectacular. The regular fries were a bit greasy and bland in my opinion.

I will go back soon for the Po Boy to see what that is all about. I will be sure to report in as I work my way through the menu.

Cash ONLY! So you don't look like a dope, here is how you do it there. Order what you want....be ready, they keep the line moving, move across the hall and grab your drink. Large drinks are LARGE drinks. Grab a seat and pay attention, they will call out your order by what you ordered...not by your name. Take the food and the drinks up to the front and pay up. Take it out or to the table and pig out. If you leave hungry you ordered wrong.

Last edited:
Greg and I are on yelp.com, we do some reviewing of restaurants.

I am thinking about starting a website to direct folks to my Yelp and Facebook pages for reviews.

Greg and I put Lash on Superior Grill in BR today....I look forward to hearing his thoughts.

I love to eat!!

Check out my reviews here:

Nolen G.'s Reviews | Canton | Yelp

Could you please update this thread for those of us that are too lazy to look elsewhere?

If you're ever driving through Leland on 82 be sure and hit the Phillips 66 Station. It's owned by the Fratesis and has the best philly cheese steak I've ever eaten. It's a gas station, bait shop, general store and diner. After 4 p.m. it turns into a self serve bar. Farmers pull single fence posts out of the cooler and drink until about 7. This place still runs store credit. Try doing any of that down here.

I recall Jeff and Nolan discussing how Nolan eats at Newks 4 times a week.......eaten here fellas?

Aladdin Mediterranean Grill went here last night with my sister and wife.

I have frequented the one in Fonderen for lunch a few times and like it. The one in Dogwood has a different feel, but the food is EXACTLY the same as is the menu.

Lamb chops and tilapia are my favorites. all dishes come with humus, a fresh salad and either wheat or white bread for the humus......very good.

the real winner in this restaurant is their mint tea..........phenomenal!!!!

If anybody ever turns up hungry in Mobile, AL give me a holler.

Jeff I tried the Natches Best BBQ joint in the gas station by Mail It and Copy today in Flowood.

I had a pulled pork sammich, beans and potato casserole.

The sammich was a bit on the small side but the meat was tasty as was the not-too-grotesquely sweet sauce. Beans were in the same BBQ sauce and were good and the potatoes get an A+.

Overall, not bad at all for MS BBQ in a gas station. Thanks for the tip.

Natchez Best BBQ at that gas station is some of the best gas station BBQ around. The sauce has just enough sweetness. I usually pick up the Lil Natchez that comes with a half chicken, pork, and one large side.

The baked potato caserole is "fine"

The potato salad is "real nice Clark". It is the sour cream style with bacon bits.

The potato salad is "real nice Clark". It is the sour cream style with bacon bits.

I may be way off but I betcha it's store bought. Performance and Sysco market a pot salad that puts mine to shame. I'm ok with that. That's how I learn.

Anyone ever been to The Cub in Shreveport? Awesome filet and the best au gratin potatos I've ever had. Its primarily a bar with a back room with a few tables. You better have a reservation. I've eaten there 3 or 4 times and its always fantastic. An institution since 1939!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom