When good things go bad - canister oil filter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.yankeetoys.org
So I decided to try and fix that pesky little oil leak that I've had from the bottom of the canister oil filter. One thing led to another and I ended up stripping the remaining paint off of it and painting it. While the paint dried, I searched for the exploded view of how everything should go back together and never got a clean detailed view of it. Oh well. Then I found out that the Toyota filter comes with every gasket/grommet neede EXCEPT the one that was leaking, the one that goes in the bottom of the canister. So I improvised and took apart a second filter kit and stole one of the poly-like donuts out of it, took the bench grinder to it to make the OD a little smaller, and so far so good. Now this all seems pretty straight forward, but let me tell you, it wasn't I now have a 4' stain of oil on my new driveway because when I thought the oil was draining from the filter into the pan that I had underneath, it was really draining into the frame, and running all the way down to the rear wheel and exiting to the ground.

So anyone have a source for the grommet in question? Or a part #? It seems it is unobtanium. If not, anyone have a new one that I can have cast? I'm sure most 40/45 guys have a similar problem too.

Hope you ground some speedi-dri into that oil on the brand new driveway. Wash off with soapy water. Don't use a degreaser as it will pull the oil out of the new asphalt. :D

There's a grommet in the bottom of that can? Can't help you there. :confused:

yep, it looks like it once had a lip on it that went in from the outside and popped into the hole at the bottom. Then the center shaft slip fit through it. I'll search Grainger and see if I can fid something that'll work.

Sppedy dry was on it before it got to the back of the truck.

and yep, its definitely waterproofed for now.

The grommet in question is Packing, Oil 15651-39010. doesn't look like a good number anymore. The whole can including the packing: Filter Assembly, Oil 15600-60020 looks like it's at least in the system.....no idea if you can really get it.

I know, big help. :rolleyes:

Here's a couple pictures.
0025a.jpg
0024a.jpg

Jim, can you send those to me in hi-res so I can read them? :D

When I did mine it had one of those old style filters in it. Wonder when the last time the oil was changed....

Last edited:
well, took the 25 on a 3 hour tour today to see if it'll make it to NH and back. The oil leak from the bottom of the canister reared its ugly head again. I lost a quart every hour or so. Gawd dayum thing!!!

I did order a used canister from SOR hoping that it would have a good grommet on the bottom and as un-luck would have it, they sent me a newer canister and it uses a different sealing method. This is why there is an o-ring that comes with the Toyota kit, its a newer style filter. I thinnk for now I'll use the 40 canister as long as it is the same diameter as the 25 filter, which it should be so it'll fit into the clamp.

Last edited:
Did I ever tell you about my friend's 40 that nearly burnt to a crisp because of an oil leak? :flipoff2: Put it out with sand. :D

Didn't know you were shopping for a used one, probably had one. The other one will fit fine, no one will know, 'cept us. ;p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom