When adding carpet back to the FJ62/60, is NVH padding reccomended? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@MarkBC, I think you’re better off treating with Rust Bucket general rust treater then painting the floor with the Rust Bucket inhibiting paint or a POR product
But does it get deep into the seams and permanently halt the rust?

No but if that’s the case, lifting the sound deadening material is the least of your worries
Well pretty much all of these trucks have some seam rust in the floor since it connects to underneath. I don't want to permanently seal access to that off from above. The rust isn't a huge issue to manage if you can get access from above for periodic inspection and treatment if needed. Treatment would generally just consist of adding some oil-based rust inhibiting product to seep down into the seams, using gravity to pull it down towards where the seams are open underneath the vehicle. It doesn't last forever so would need to be re-applied every year or two depending on use. The trucks aen't falling apart from seam rust but it's there and needs to be managed or it will grow exponentially. If there's rust there then the original caulking should be removed to open it up and the question is whether new caulking should be addded to replace it; I argue no, since the rust will never be removed from the seam so the caulking will only encase it and allow it to grow faster. Same as if you get a ding on a pretty external panel, the rust will grow under the paint and cause bubbles that travel under the paint a surprisingly long distance. It actually grows faster under the paint than if you were to just wire wheel off all the paint in that area and expose it to the elements, but add rust inhibitor.

I think I answered my own question. If I add sound deadening which I would like to do, I'll only add it sticky on the clean areas without seams, and where there's a seam, I'll try to devise a way so that it isn't permanently adhered and can be pulled back if needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom