Wheels & Tires for my LJ78 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

tiresandals

SILVER Star
Threads
I believe these wheels / tires will fit my 1994 LJ78. I searched the forums and didn't find confirmation. So, I thought I should start a thread.

These tires are 5.5 inches wider than stock. With a +18 offset (.7 inches) the wheels would stick out 2 inches beyond stock. That would be right out to the wheel flairs but not beyond.

Can anyone confirm that these would fit? Are you running something similar?

Wheel Lug Pattern: 6x139.7 (6x5.5)
wheel width: 9
tire size: 34x11.50R18
offset: 18
Hub bore: 106.2

reference: Toyota Land Cruiser Prado 1994 - Wheel & Tire Sizes, PCD, Offset and Rims specs - https://www.wheel-size.com/size/toyota/land-cruiser-prado/1994/#trim-24-dt-lj78g-jdm-95
wheels.jpg

tires.jpg

Last edited:
You need a negative offset, not positive. Probably -40mm or so for a 9" wide rim.

what-is-wheel-offset.jpg

Going from a 6in wheel to 9in would add 1.5in on either side of the wheel midline. A -40mm offset would shift the wheel 1.7in out from the center of the vehicle. So, the inner side of the new wheel and old wheel would be about the same with a -40mm offset.

So, is there room in the wheel well to accommodate a wheel that extends in toward the chassis 1.5 to 2 inches? Would the tire rub the mud flaps or something when you turn? Or do wider wheels have to go out?

wheel comparison.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 2976834

Going from a 6in wheel to 9in would add 1.5in on either side of the wheel midline. A -40mm offset would shift the wheel 1.7in out from the center of the vehicle. So, the inner side of the new wheel and old wheel would be about the same with a -40mm offset.

So, is there room in the wheel well to accommodate a wheel that extends in toward the chassis 1.5 to 2 inches? Would the tire rub the mud flaps or something when you turn? Or do wider wheels have to go out?

Nope, front tire will hit radius arm at very least, and probably more. Basically, you need to keep inside of rim where it is. I have a -27mm offset 8" rim with 35x12.5 and even that is marginal.

Nope, front tire will hit radius arm at very least, and probably more. Basically, you need to keep inside of rim where it is. I have a -27mm offset 8" rim with 35x12.5 and even that is marginal.
Damn, I cant seem to find wheels with the proper bolt pattern, bore AND offset... Very limited options. Would 9" width work ? Send me a link to the ones you're rocking, I love those!

Damn, I cant seem to find wheels with the proper bolt pattern, bore AND offset... Very limited options. Would 9" width work ? Send me a link to the ones you're rocking, I love those!

Ion Wheels 171-5883P. I bought mine here:

You'll find there are a few brands that make these same wheels. Eagle Alloy, Mickey Thompson too I think. Maybe others.

I do really like them; still happy years later.

Amazing. Thank you so much. You are like the angel of 78s I see you everywhere over this forum helping out everyone with your years of knowledge. Thanks man 🙏🏻

Haha, thanks man; happy to help.

Last question Mr coupe, what lift did you go for to rock some 35 ? I would like to get some 34" and I wonder if the 1.75" lift from dobinsons would fit considering I was told skinny 33" fit on stock suspension. I wanna keep my gravity center as low possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom