Wheels on my Pickup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need some help. Since im not going to be able to buy a 40 even if i sell my truck(wife's orders) i have decided not to sell my truck and just sink a little money into it every once in a while.

I am wanting to get some wheels sometime soon and was wondering what the widest i could fit on the truck without changing anything. Right now it has the stock 15x7 alloy wheels and i am running 31x10.50R15s on it. I would like to keep the tires since they have many miles left in them. So im going to have to go with 15 x something. What width can i go with and keep the tires but be able to up grade in the future? 8 inch? 9 inch?

No lift or anything just stock.

lunyou

We need to know what year your truck is, I assume it is 4WD.

I wouldn't put a 10.50" wide tire on anything wider than 8".

You can run a 32" X 11.50 tire on the stock 7" wheel. You can also run a 33 X 9.50 on the stock wheel.

You can try a 33 X 10.50 tire on the stock 7" wheel but it will tend to wear the center of the tire more than the outside so the tread life will be lower than if you had it on a proper 8" wheel.

If you plan on doing one of the common 4 inch lifts on the future like a pro comp or trailmaster, get the wheels with the 79-85 offset. The 86-newer wheels don't fit with these lifts. But an 8 inch in the older offset wheel will probably rub quite a bit if you wheel your truck. I run 15x8's 3-3/4 backspacing (came off my cruiser) with 31x10.50's on my 89. They do stick out a bit, and probably should have flares, and they rub a bit, especially with the plow blade lifted and turning. But if you got a set of wheels like these, they could take 33's no problem in the future and would work with a bolt on 4 inch lift.

can i run 33 x 10.50s on the stock truck with new wheels or would i have to get a lift of some type due to rubbing issues?

lunyou

If you drive this truck every day, and don't currently have the cash to regear I would stick to 31's. The older trucks are absolute slugs with 33's on them without regearing. I have run 33's on a few older 84-93 trucks with just a 3 inch body lift with no issues. And I have heard of guys running 33x10.50's with just cranking the torsion bars and putting a block in the back. But it would rub quite a bit with anything but a stock offset wheel. But if it's your only vehicle I would suggest saving some cash for a suspension lift before slapping 33's on there. Shortly followed by a set of 4:88 gears.

sorry for all the questions but what does a set of 4:88 gears cost? Do they just install in the existing equipment or what?

One time a while ago i almost put a 4 inch Suspension lift on it and my dad was going to pay for the 33 x 12.50s and wheels(if i paid for the lift) but i bought a nice electric guitar instead.

lunyou

Chris_Geiger said:
You can try a 33 X 10.50 tire on the stock 7" wheel but it will tend to wear the center of the tire more than the outside so the tread life will be lower than if you had it on a proper 8" wheel.

I disagree. I'm on my 3rd set of 33x10.50's on my stock wheels, one set was on 15x6 Cruiser wheels, the others were (are) on 15x7 SR5 alloys. No wear problems or issues.

Why would a 33x10.50 wear funny, when they put 31x10.50's on the SR5 15x7's at the factory? A 10.50" wide tire is a 10.50" wide tire.

lunyou said:
sorry for all the questions but what does a set of 4:88 gears cost? Do they just install in the existing equipment or what?

A set of gears will run you about $200-250, maybe you can find them a little cheaper. But you'll pay more than that for the labor to get them installed. Figure AT LEAST $500-600 per axle, and you have to do both of them.

lunyou said:

One time a while ago i almost put a 4 inch Suspension lift on it and my dad was going to pay for the 33 x 12.50s and wheels(if i paid for the lift) but i bought a nice electric guitar instead.

lunyou

You actually might be able to junkyard this one. I think, not positive, but pretty sure that v-6 automatic 4 runners that came with factory 31's had 4.88's stock. You could get the front axle and rear 3rd member and bolt them in yourself. At one time I had a 91 with a 4 inch lift, 33's and 4.88's with a 22re and a header. went pretty good.

KLF said:
I disagree. I'm on my 3rd set of 33x10.50's on my stock wheels, one set was on 15x6 Cruiser wheels, the others were (are) on 15x7 SR5 alloys. No wear problems or issues.

Why would a 33x10.50 wear funny, when they put 31x10.50's on the SR5 15x7's at the factory? A 10.50" wide tire is a 10.50" wide tire.

I agree. I had a 91 4Runner that had that tire/wheel combo. No problems with exessive center wear. Original tires lasted 40k. Replacement Michelins lasted 50k. Tires were rotated every 5k mi. 15x8 may give it a little wider stance (depending on bs) and might improve handling a bit, tho. If you're wheeling it, the 7" wheel would serve you better.

so what backspacing should i get so that they don't rub(perferably not at all) but if they don't rub unless i turn tight right or left then i guess thats okay too.

lunyou

if it says the wheel will not fit a toyota tacoma does that mean it will not fit my truck too...probably a stupid question

lunyou

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom