Wheeling and Exploring in MT (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Those MVUMs are interesting. I wish I could help you with 568 or beaver creek campground. (I've only visited the area once) The house we were eyeing was one map north, in the Hungry Horse MVUM. It seems like there are miles of FS roads near there. Have you explored out there at all?
Haven't explored the area at all other than just passing through a couple times. You can rifle hunt during the rut in the backcountry HD though so I'm planning to make it happen.

Heres the spotted bear MVUM, which covers the limits of the driveable area adjacent to the backcountry area I will be trying to reach. https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd495962.pdf

I'm specifically interested in 568 that goes east from spotted bear campground and ranger station. Would love to know what the beaver creek campground looks like, where exactly the gate is shortly thereafter, general road conditions.

Would also be interested in 2826/549 south from spotted bear, similarly what sort of camping is available and road conditions.

Heres a link to all the MVUM's for Flathead for your info. Flathead National Forest - Maps & Publications - https://www.fs.usda.gov/main/flathead/maps-pubs#MVUM
I've been to the Meadow Creek trailhead on 2826, it is a well maintained, dusty gravel road. There are a few places to pull off the road and camp between Spotted Bear and Meadow Creek, and probably more along 549, but everything past Meadow Creek is in a burn area and won't have much (if any) shade.

I haven't been up 568 toward the Silvertip trailhead, but I have heard the road is similar. That whole Spotted Bear area gets pretty heavy traffic during hunting season and is quite popular for horse packing and river rafting during the summer.

Montana and Idaho are loaded with endless roads. Pick a national forest, find the main vein that runs through it, and start to patch together some routes. I have covered just about every cruiser worthy trail in this area. IF you have a spot in mind and need advice just give me a shout.

Glacier park and surrounding area ( hungry horse res ) is a zoo during the summer. If you like that kind of camping then go for it but it's best to get out of the flathead county to find the true remote areas that this state is known for

I've been to the Meadow Creek trailhead on 2826, it is a well maintained, dusty gravel road. There are a few places to pull off the road and camp between Spotted Bear and Meadow Creek, and probably more along 549, but everything past Meadow Creek is in a burn area and won't have much (if any) shade.

I haven't been up 568 toward the Silvertip trailhead, but I have heard the road is similar. That whole Spotted Bear area gets pretty heavy traffic during hunting season and is quite popular for horse packing and river rafting during the summer.
The fishing isn't half bad either!

This thread continues to come through with good information. Do you guys Onyx maps out there? (I heard it was handy out there) Out east, Gaia is popular... or Avenza. What is your main source of information for route planning? I bought a Gazateer and that seems to have some good information...

This thread continues to come through with good information. Do you guys Onyx maps out there? (I heard it was handy out there) Out east, Gaia is popular... or Avenza. What is your main source of information for route planning? I bought a Gazateer and that seems to have some good information...
Gaia is king . Maybe onx has some features that hunters like that Gaia doent but I'm not sure.

All of these apps are pulling data from open sources. Avenza is not a good option , all of the maps wiin are on Gaia plus more.

As far as route planning and offline exploring go, in my experience Gaia has been the best

Gaia is king . Maybe onx has some features that hunters like that Gaia doent but I'm not sure.

All of these apps are pulling data from open sources. Avenza is not a good option , all of the maps wiin are on Gaia plus more.

As far as route planning and offline exploring go, in my experience Gaia has been the best
OnX is better for land information and I have found their trail (hiking) information to be a little more accurate. Gaia is better for roads and I love their route drawing features. They both have their place.

Wow - my flyfishing feeds are showing the devastation of the flooding going on right now. Hope you're all staying safe. I was hoping to get up next week to wheel, camp and fish but looking like you all might be cleaning up. Just awful on top of tourism/guiding recovering from the pandemic.

Wow - my flyfishing feeds are showing the devastation of the flooding going on right now. Hope you're all staying safe. I was hoping to get up next week to wheel, camp and fish but looking like you all might be cleaning up. Just awful on top of tourism/guiding recovering from the pandemic.

I have just been reading about the flooding as well. It's crazy that this isn't getting more media attention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom