Wheel spacers? Anybody use them! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have run both types of spacer. If you get the adapters with the new studs in them they have to be at least a little thicker than your current lug studs are long. Otherwise your wheel mounting surface will interfere with the remaining stud sticking through. I ran into this problem on the back of my 60(not the front though) and had to install a 1/4" cheap spacer behind my 1" spacer to get past the factory studs. Mine is an '83, i'm not sure if all are the same, but 1.25" is the least amount I should have gotten.

On my 40, I ran 2 of the 1/4" spacers to get some O.E. 16" 4runner wheels to work. The wheels took the later style shank lugs that recess into the wheel, so I still had plenty of thread engagement. However, I was very concerned with running two spacers stacked (very not recommended), so it was only for off road uses. I checked torque on them periodically, but they never woorked loose.

On both setups, you face vibration issues because you are relying on a lug centric wheel to center itself. As you space the wheel further from the hub its more likely to not center correctly. And with the stud style spacers you are hoping that not one, but two lug centric mating surfaces line up properly.

Bottom line is, that using the proper wheel is always best. But if not feasable then use spacers with care. They continue to build them for some reason. Obviously it can't be that bad.

1.5'ers from Marlincrawler. Well made, and have had no problems with them. I put a little loctite on the studs to keep them tight.

1" from Marlin. Double check the torque a couple of times when you first install them and go for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom