Wheel sizes 15 or 16 in (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm sure this has been asked before. I tried a search but It was successful. So, what are the advantage of 16 in wheels rather than 15 in wheels?(other than 1 in taller)
Thanks

73, James - KF4AQO Sent from my iPad using IH8MUD

No real advantage unless the tire you want is only available in a 16.

Tony

Or unless you've figured out how to mount the calipers over 13"OD front brake rotor. In which case I want to know what you did.

Rim diameter is not always responsible for overall wheel diameter; tire size can influence that heavily. One plus for 16 inch rims is that you can have Load Range E tires (10 ply rating). The best that you can have with 15 inch tires is Load Range C (6 ply rating). If you are running on paved roads it is not an issue, but rock and gravel it can be.

To add to what Heartworm said... Tall and skinny is easier to find in 16" than 15" diameter. If you're into that sort of thing. :)

(Two really nice 16" tall-skinny sizes are 255/85R16, which is hard to find, and 235/85R16, which gives you a few more options. They are roughly 33x10 and 32x9.5, respectively.)

BFG sells KM2's and AT's in a 33 10.50 for 15 in rims and a 33 950 in the AT. Not uncommon at all just limited tread selection. Got mine from Tirerack.com

Tony

For some tire sizes there is a difference in the construction of the casing between the two rim sizes. For example, check almost any tire mfg's data, and you'll see that for a given size (eg: 33X12.50, 35X12.50, etc) the tire in 16 inch will have a higher load capacity than the 15 inch tire. In addition, if you check the plys, you'll find more ply's on the 16 inch tire.

Does this matter, will it make your life better/different...don't know. But it is a difference.

Ill be going 16 when my current 15 tires are worn out. There are more options for tires at 16. Hell, there are more tire choices at 17 than 15 now. I would stay away from 255/85s though. I hated that tire under my Disco. On something lighter weight, maybe but under something heavy, the sidewall flex scared the s*** out of me many times.

I'm wanting to move to 16" myself---wanting to run 285/75's. Nearly every tire made is available in that size(roughly 33x11.5); I like the options and the strength.

If it helps I wish I had gone with 16's instead of the 15's just because I think there are more choices for rims.

I would stay away from 255/85s though. I hated that tire under my Disco. On something lighter weight, maybe but under something heavy, the sidewall flex scared the s*** out of me many times.

I currently running 255/85/16 BFG MTs on 7" wide rims on one of the 60s and I'm not experiencing any sidewall flex.

I currently running 255/85/16 BFG MTs on 7" wide rims on one of the 60s and I'm not experiencing any sidewall flex.

What pressure are you running? Have you ever even slightly aired down? When you air them down even the slightest bit, the footprint isnt wide enough and the damn tire gets all squirmy. Ill never put another set on any of my trucks.

I just want my stock rims to grow 1.5" wider...

watering them has not worked.

t

What pressure are you running? Have you ever even slightly aired down? When you air them down even the slightest bit, the footprint isnt wide enough and the damn tire gets all squirmy. Ill never put another set on any of my trucks.

I love them it is a perfect size. No rubbing issues do to a wide ass tire.

I have ran my Maxxis Bighorns at 11 to 40 psi and no squirmy issues and I bet my truck weights close to 6k lbs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom