Wheel Locks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

80and100cruisers

SILVER Star
Threads
My 99 100 has wheel/rim locks, only problem is that I don't have the "key." How much will a new one cost? My dad and I are thinking it be easier in the long run to just get a normal bolt to replace the lock, anyone have this done? The rims aren't anything special so I don't think I'll have to worry about them getting stolen. Seems simple, but as of now if I get a flat it's gotta be towed :-[

-Matt

I had this problem on my Tacoma. You can go to the Toyota dealer and they will drag out a box of keys. They'll then go through the keys and find one that fits, then order you a replacement.

That is, if your locks are "factory" locks - although in truth the factory locks on my Tacoma were made by McGard. Yours may be too.

BTW, the replacement key cost me about $16 through the dealer.

(Of course you could always just get those locks off the hard way and replace them with a regular lug nut - but heck, $16 is worth not having to spend the time and effort to do that, IMO.)

In my experience, locks are not worth having. I have good insurance anyway. I have been far off road and stripped a lock key and there was much damage to the wheel before it was removed. Never since.

The reason I brought up the locks is I have a leak...I have had 2 plugs, and both leak. So the plan is to go to the dealership and hopefully they will take off locks and just replace it with a normal bolt, get 2 new front tires and take the slightly used front tire and make it my spare...as of now the spare is the tire that came w/ the truck...a little small. I recall reading it is good to have tires of equal tread life across from each other. I am on break mon-fri so hopefully I can get this all done Sat.

-Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom