Wheel Locks

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by 80and100cruisers, Mar 13, 2004.

1. 80and100cruisers

80and100cruisers SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    My 99 100 has wheel/rim locks, only problem is that I don't have the "key." How much will a new one cost? My dad and I are thinking it be easier in the long run to just get a normal bolt to replace the lock, anyone have this done? The rims aren't anything special so I don't think I'll have to worry about them getting stolen. Seems simple, but as of now if I get a flat it's gotta be towed :-[

-Matt

2. Docmallory

Docmallory Guest

I had this problem on my Tacoma. You can go to the Toyota dealer and they will drag out a box of keys. They'll then go through the keys and find one that fits, then order you a replacement.

That is, if your locks are "factory" locks - although in truth the factory locks on my Tacoma were made by McGard. Yours may be too.

BTW, the replacement key cost me about $16 through the dealer.

(Of course you could always just get those locks off the hard way and replace them with a regular lug nut - but heck, $16 is worth not having to spend the time and effort to do that, IMO.)

3. lagwagon

lagwagon

In my experience, locks are not worth having. I have good insurance anyway. I have been far off road and stripped a lock key and there was much damage to the wheel before it was removed. Never since.

4. 80and100cruisers

80and100cruisers SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    The reason I brought up the locks is I have a leak...I have had 2 plugs, and both leak. So the plan is to go to the dealership and hopefully they will take off locks and just replace it with a normal bolt, get 2 new front tires and take the slightly used front tire and make it my spare...as of now the spare is the tire that came w/ the truck...a little small. I recall reading it is good to have tires of equal tread life across from each other. I am on break mon-fri so hopefully I can get this all done Sat.

-Matt

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.