Builds Wheel In Luxury -a GX470 build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

so this may interest some of you, I picked up a stock front diff from a 2005 4cyl Tacoma, and am gonna couple that with the stock rear diff out of my 97 4runner(I've regeared that to 4.88) both are 4.10 geared, and will be swapping those into my GX. stock the GX470 comes with 3.73 gears so the 4.10s should be a nice bump. it's gonna put me just slightly lower geared than stock with the 285s and that's perfect for me, especially for the price ($250+ gear oil, and new axle seals, so like $350). it will definitely help with towing. this will be a nice way for me to know if I want to go to 4.56s or 4.88s in our other gx, before i spend a bunch of money and time regearing in the bench.

so this may interest some of you, I picked up a stock front diff from a 2005 4cyl Tacoma, and am gonna couple that with the stock rear diff out of my 97 4runner(I've regeared that to 4.88) both are 4.10 geared, and will be swapping those into my GX. stock the GX470 comes with 3.73 gears so the 4.10s should be a nice bump. it's gonna put me just slightly lower geared than stock with the 285s and that's perfect for me, especially for the price ($250+ gear oil, and new axle seals, so like $350). it will definitely help with towing. this will be a nice way for me to know if I want to go to 4.56s or 4.88s in our other gx, before i spend a bunch of money and time regearing in the bench.
Does this also address the issue with the weaker 8” diff? Or that’s a separate problem than you are solving here.

Does this also address the issue with the weaker 8” diff? Or that’s a separate problem than you are solving here.
Nope. Still using the same 8" third member, just a lower gear ratio. I've been running 8" thirds for over 20 years, I can count on one hand how many gear sets I've broken, and I know why I've broken all of them... being stupid and abusive. I've never been surprised by breaking one.

Jumping and landing under power, Bouncing the vehicle with wheel spin ect. That's how theses break.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom