Builds Wheel In Luxury -a GX470 build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

When I purchased my GX there was water in the back as you describe. I thought it was just from the yahoo's at the stealership just leaving one of the back windows open or being lazy with the carpet shampoo machine. I tore the back apart including removing the weather stripping around the rear door. I found that a lot of water in the weather stripping along the bottom of the door/hatch area. There was some rust forming down there also.

I checked on it again after the next big rain and while there was no water in the cargo area, the weather stripping was again holding water at the bottom. I cleaned it up and used some weather stripping sealant to try and eliminate the issue, as I "thought" maybe as the water was working its way down from the roof around the weather stripping, it was finding its way in. I didn't have enough to go all the way around the entire area, just the top portion and down each side, but am still seeing water in there.

I will be pulling the carpet and leaving everything out, then have my wife drive through the carwash while I scope things out in the back. I know certain companies make weather stripping conditioner, and I want to get a hold of that for the side windows.

So today I installed some backup sensors in the rear bumper. I ordered them a couple months ago off Amazon and just hadn't had a nice enough string of days to get them installed. I also wired in a switch on the ground so I could cut power to them if towing a trailer. I wish they were a little louder but for $20, I can't complain at all. The installation was pretty simple, and straight forward. I'm really happy with the outcome and this will be a mod that will serve me well from here on out especially with the limo tinted windows.
IMG_20170430_175047890_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170430_175139029_HDR.jpg

^May I ask why you need backup sensors when you have a camera?

^May I ask why you need backup sensors when you have a camera?
A; I have no backup camera, B; cause I like drilling holes :censor: , and C; cause why wallet was too heavy. -1 of those is a lie, and 1 is taken way out of context...

Last night driving home my traction control freaked out on me and almost caused me to crash several time, it would randomly without warning grab an individual front brake and pull the vehicle hard one way or the other requiring me to pretty aggressively fight the pull, it almost pulled me into a couple vehicles on the fwy at around 70mph. This morning it did it again and so I just had it towed back home. I had suspected it may be the lower control arm bushings that were bad. So I cut the old LCAs out and put in all new stuff (had it sitting on a shelf in the garage) it cost me a day of work but it feels so much better now. I'll be a little nervous about driving it for the next few days not gonna lie. I felt bad for the people I almost hit. I would be very pissed if I was them.

A; I have no backup camera, B; cause I like drilling holes :censor: , and C; cause why wallet was too heavy. -1 of those is a lie, and 1 is taken way out of context...

Ahh, I forgot Lexus built peasant spec GX's that didn't have a back-up camera. o_O I sent you a PM about your reverse lights.

I had a frozen caliper (intermittent) that caused this on mine. Replaced it and never had the problem again.

Last night driving home my traction control freaked out on me and almost caused me to crash several time, it would randomly without warning grab an individual front brake and pull the vehicle hard one way or the other requiring me to pretty aggressively fight the pull, it almost pulled me into a couple vehicles on the fwy at around 70mph. This morning it did it again and so I just had it towed back home. I had suspected it may be the lower control arm bushings that were bad. So I cut the old LCAs out and put in all new stuff (had it sitting on a shelf in the garage) it cost me a day of work but it feels so much better now. I'll be a little nervous about driving it for the next few days not gonna lie. I felt bad for the people I almost hit. I would be very pissed if I was them.

Yikes! This sounds super scary! Is there a way to disable traction control on a GX?

In a pinch you can pull the plug at the brake booster, but you lose ABS as well.

So it's been a few days since I have updated this build thread...

First update I am now running Icon 2.5 RR all the way around. The difference between these and the FCP isn't so noticable immediately, but give it a few days and you really start seeing the difference, especially if it's your daily driver, and you drive the same roads every day. With the Icons the truck feels so much more planted, there is greater confidence in the handling and overall comfort of the vehicle. But where the difference really shines through is off-road, especially on back gravel roads. The faster you push it the better they work and feel. Slow speeds the Icons and FCPs are very similar, Icons being a little more smooth but that's to be expected with a suspension that is 2x the amount. But pushing the GX on washboarded roads and rougher roads helps smooth things out. The timbren bump stops help too. The wife was very happy with their performance when she took the truck and kids camping while I was away doing some training with the military, she said she was cruising along some back roads on the way there and the pavement ended and immediately was a pot hole filled gravel road. She thought for sure the truck was gonna hit hard. No dice, the suspension soaked it up, there was a definite change but nothing to wake the kids up or cause alarm, at least what she said. However every fallowing her had a different story, her parents full-size Dodge hit hard and bounced around and so did their travel trailer.

I also picked up a NOS CVT awning for the GX on one of my central Oregon trips, CVTs customer service is nothing short of amazing, I was missing a small part we all overlooked when I was there at their shop, and they overnighted it to me right away. -totally didn't expect that, and would have been happy with just regular mail, but to see a company overnight me a part, that's how you earn a long time customer in my book. Not to mention they helped me get stuff that would work with my tent(not made by them and they know it), they listened to what I was after/looking for, and set me up right and even giving their input and recommendations to how to make things better and for me to save money.

After redoing the front suspension with brand new OE Toyota front LCAs I took it to Firestone and got a lifetime alignment- long story but they don't like modified vehicles but I was able to score the alignment. Anyhow the shop whom first did the alignment messed it up and my caster and to was out enough that it would set off the stability control, I also had very "loose" steering especially under acceleration and the truck would wonder all over. Anyhow had it realigned and problem solved.

I just installed a power steering filter on the return line to the reservoir, and I swapped out my transmission filter at the same time(magnafine filters). The truck has been running beautifully and my next installment is already on the way...

well put new shoes on the rig today... went with the old trusted Cooper ST MAXXs again same size, 285. I was very happy with them and had a great experience with them so I'm going for round two. The old ones still had plenty of life left in them, so I'll probably be reselling them to get my costs down a little bit.

Last edited:
Well I finally got around to installing my winch. Southern Style Offroad makes an awesome hidden winch mount called the incognito winch mount, and it's fantastic! And the best part is my warn 9.5ti fits and clears the bumper. There was so much room I almost thought about forgoing the winch and making a hidden compartment and smuggling drugs but... I had this winch just going to waste in my garage...

IMAG0121.jpg

IMAG0118.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom