what's with the factory roof rack? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for all the pics and info, riley!

I've been contemplating this rack for a while and I had exactly the same concerns re: placement relative to pass. doors and clearance for the rear air deflector. You've cleared up a lot of my questions with just the pics!

Thanks!

Derek - A pic on the rack from up high and roughly head on. Again ignore the crappy looking second set of black bars.

Looks like it could be a little wider with no real downside.

Riley
roofrack_topview2.jpg

Riley,
How about posting picks when you are done using the POR15 on the screw holes for the rear air deflecter? I have 3 cans of POR15 waiting to be used.

Those holes have been POR-15'd and covered over with washers and screws since last winter. This is actually an old thread that got revived because the pics got lost in the forum upgrade that occured last spring??

I just reposted the pics to help out Derek with some specific questions.

I can give you a pic of the holes all sealed up but not of the holes themselves.

You can mount the rack without pulling the deflector but I need the rack mounted as rear as possible to allow me to flip my boat up there.
may_trip04 006.jpg

Very cool Riley. Unfortunately, my 18' Jet Boat does not fit on the roof of my 80. However, your pic makes me want to go fishing! Too bad it is snowing right now.
Please post a pic of the finished product or link me to the other thread. Please!

Nice. THat rack mounts just like my ARB rack. I'm sure the ARB is much heavier than that rack though.

Just on a related note...I took my factory rack off today. There was no rust around the inserts!!!! The inserts themselves looked pretty crappy. I used the o-ring, trim washer and silicone sealant method reccomended on the forum. In it's place is the full length Tradesman I got from dclee. I was very happy about the lack of rust. There is a small amount of paint abrasion around the feet as others have suggested, but nothing through the paint.

Cruiserdrew said:
Just on a related note...I took my factory rack off today. There was no rust around the inserts!!!! The inserts themselves looked pretty crappy. I used the o-ring, trim washer and silicone sealant method reccomended on the forum. In it's place is the full length Tradesman I got from dclee. I was very happy about the lack of rust. There is a small amount of paint abrasion around the feet as others have suggested, but nothing through the paint.

Hehe, so you ended up moving it from the 60 to the 80, huh? Well, I guess now it's in its proper place! :D

I have the full length model and was able to install myself. It weighs about 80 lbs. Rack is very nice.
ChuckD

Dirk Diggler said:
Very cool Riley. Unfortunately, my 18' Jet Boat does not fit on the roof of my 80. However, your pic makes me want to go fishing! Too bad it is snowing right now.
Please post a pic of the finished product or link me to the other thread. Please!

Here you go Pat. Not surprising your 18' won't fit up top. My 12' is almost too long given my support points.

The truck is a little dirty but you get the idea.
roofrack_holes001.jpg
roofrackholes002.jpg

Thanks Riley. Looks great!

Turbo, Riley should be in Moab.....but knowing him and tech, he'll be wireless there.

:cheers:

TY

Turbo,

I can take measurements for you. I have the full length Outback for I'm sure the mounting brackets are the same.

Let me know where you want the measurements taken. I'm guessing center rear at the highest point. Keep in mind there are ribs in the roof but the Outback rack doesn't use those ribs like the factory rack does.

-B-

Turbo,

The Outback rack has brackets that are adjustable for height. Mine are set at the absolute minimum, meaning my rack is as close to the roof as the brackets will allow.

Adjustable_Bracket.jpg

The entrance to my garage is about 82.75"

Garage_Entrance.jpg

As you can see, the fit is pretty tight and, with an empty tank and no load, it barely makes it.

Tight_Fit.jpg

You will have 6.25" from the roof to the top of the top rail.

Top_Rail_6.25_Inches.jpg

.... and 3.5" from the roof to the top of the bottom rail.

Bottom_Rail_3.5_Inches.jpg

Good luck.
-B-

The eyelets are add-ons that go into the channels built in the rack. You can put them just about anywhere on the rack that you want. You can't see it in those pictures but the eyelets can be put on the bottom of the rails, including the base of the rack. I bought 6 for the side rails and 6 for the floor panels and have them at various places and move them depending on the load.

The top rail will come off with the removal of 20 bolts.

-B-

Turbo,
I run 305/70R16 tyres (~33") with OME 851/860 springs + 1" front spacer. My truck sits lower than many with the OME "medium" springs because it has dual batteries, front bumper, rear bumper, and OBA where the spare used to be. It's a pretty heavy truck.
-B-

Landpimp said:
I don't think the 100 sereis OEM rack will have the issues that the 80's do, they are mounted differently and I don't think they are screwed into the roof the same way.........but not sure.......havn't really looked.

The 100 is longer and has 6 points of attachment but that is all I know. My 80 which is a west coast baby with no rust anywhere and it was a rust bucket under those 4 feet. Tore it off and welded the holes and repainted! Look great! Plus the OEM could only hold 150 lbs:flipoff2: POS

http://www.boompa.com/jditom/land-cruiser/123/pictures/987/

http://www.boompa.com/jditom/land-cruiser/123/pictures/984/

turbocruiser said:
So would you think that your truck sits higher or lower than the 2.5 to 3" HD springs all around?

My truck sits ~1" lower than those with 850/863 combos. Guaranteed. My butt drug all over Moab while others in front of me didn't. I gotta go with the 4" Slee springs soon.

-B-

Reactivating an older thread to add some pics of the screw/rosette washers I used in my roof when I removed the rack and had the roof refinished. Several members have indicated an interest in seeing this so here it is:
Reactivating a 13 year old thread to say....This thread is useless w/o pics.
Grrrrr!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom