what's the difference? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i've been shopping around for HDJ81 VX and seen a few different options in these trucks. im a little bit confused about the lock options in these trucks. some trucks comes with center diff lock with just a press of a button and others comes in a knob type of lock were you have a choice of rear lock, front lock or front and rear lock. what's the difference between these 2? and which one is better?

All 81 series trucks are equiped with a Center Differential Lock. When this differential is locked it puts the truck into conventional 4WD.

Some 81 series trucks have the optional front and rear differential lock systems in addition to the center differential lock. This feature is highly desirable and somewhat less common. It helps greatly offroad.

thanx for that info.

Tapage said:
some 80 series come with center diferential .. Full Time with HF2AV transfer case ..

what does a HF2AV transfer case do?

HF2AV is the internal toyota code name for the transfer case that 95% of 81 series cruisers are equiped with. (If you are asking what a transfer case is, its basically the box that gives you 4WD).

With the HF2AV you are always in 4WD, no matter what. This is called "Full-Time 4WD" because you are always in 4WD. This mode is great onroad but sucks offroad because it will get you stuck easier than conventional 4WD. So Toyota conveniently gave us a switch ("Center Differential Lock") to lock it into normal 4WD for offroading. The transfer case automatically locks the center differential when you select 4-Low, so the button is really only needed if you want to lock it in the high range.

Ocelot said:
HF2AV is the internal toyota code name for the transfer case that 95% of 81 series cruisers are equiped with. (If you are asking what a transfer case is, its basically the box that gives you 4WD).

With the HF2AV you are always in 4WD, no matter what. This is called "Full-Time 4WD" because you are always in 4WD. This mode is great onroad but sucks offroad because it will get you stuck easier than conventional 4WD. So Toyota conveniently gave us a switch ("Center Differential Lock") to lock it into normal 4WD for offroading. The transfer case automatically locks the center differential when you select 4-Low, so the button is really only needed if you want to lock it in the high range.

isn't this a topic of the coveted 7 pin mod......???...........I dunno, but heard much ado about it. Definately 80 series gayness............oh I will get flamed for that LOL

nah I like 80 series too. But only if they have a diesel. :flipoff2:

Ocelot said:

oki so whats the difference between conventional 4WD and a 4WD with CDL on?

sorry for my ignorant questions. just trying to get to know more about the truck and its options

brownbear said:
isn't this a topic of the coveted 7 pin mod......???...........I dunno, but heard much ado about it. Definately 80 series gayness............oh I will get flamed for that LOL

nah I like 80 series too. But only if they have a diesel. :flipoff2:

Pin 7 mod disables the Center Differential locking automatically in 4-Low, therefore you must control it in the switch, and you can enable 4-Low without the CDL engaged.

Here is some clarity, all of the 80's in US and most of the 81 an 80 from other countrys that have the full time 4 wheel drive have the ability to lock the center diff.

The full time 4 wheel drive is accomplished by a more complete transfer case that lets the power split from the front to the rear vary depending on demand and load so rather than a hard 50/50 split from front to rear it varies allowing it to work better on hard payments. When 4-wheel low range is selected the transfer case is automatically swithed into the conventional 50/50 split. All of the US model 80 series and many of the 81 and 8x models with an automatic tranny do not have the overide switch to allow manual switching into conventional 50/50 split of power in the transfer case. However ALL models have the wiring for the switch. So in the case of US model 80's all you have to do to allow the swith to conventional 4wd is buy the switch and install it in the dash (wiring is already there).

The advantage of allowing the switch to conventional 4wd is so your cruiser will handle better in slippery muddy or snowing roads where 4-wheel low is to low of a gear range. Trust me when I tell you, driving an 80 series on snowing/icy coverd road back east in US without the conventional 4wd is like driving on it with 2wd.

the 7 pin modification is to allow running in 4 wheel low without running conventional 4wd (I am pretty sure) however I am not sure why anyone would want to need to do that, and it is more of a strain on the transfer case. If someone knows more on the 7 pin and has actually done it please jump in.

Michael

I think the scenario given for justification of the pin 7 mod was situations like a boat ramp where you want to be able to manuever without binding but want to have the power from low range.

tlcruiserman said:
Here is some clarity, all of the 80's in US and most of the 81 an 80 from other countrys that have the full time 4 wheel drive have the ability to lock the center diff.

The full time 4 wheel drive is accomplished by a more complete transfer case that lets the power split from the front to the rear vary depending on demand and load so rather than a hard 50/50 split from front to rear it varies allowing it to work better on hard payments. When 4-wheel low range is selected the transfer case is automatically swithed into the conventional 50/50 split. All of the US model 80 series and many of the 81 and 8x models with an automatic tranny do not have the overide switch to allow manual switching into conventional 50/50 split of power in the transfer case. However ALL models have the wiring for the switch. So in the case of US model 80's all you have to do to allow the swith to conventional 4wd is buy the switch and install it in the dash (wiring is already there).

The advantage of allowing the switch to conventional 4wd is so your cruiser will handle better in slippery muddy or snowing roads where 4-wheel low is to low of a gear range. Trust me when I tell you, driving an 80 series on snowing/icy coverd road back east in US without the conventional 4wd is like driving on it with 2wd.

the 7 pin modification is to allow running in 4 wheel low without running conventional 4wd (I am pretty sure) however I am not sure why anyone would want to need to do that, and it is more of a strain on the transfer case. If someone knows more on the 7 pin and has actually done it please jump in.

Michael

oki now thats clear... thanx for that explanation
:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom