What's Next? (The ongoing search for a knock)

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by MTPCRUISER, Mar 4, 2007.

1. MTPCRUISER

MTPCRUISER

Okay, here's the story up 'til now. I have a 1977 FJ40 with the original 2F engine. I had an engine knock that I was trying to chase down. I started by disconnecting the plug wires one at a time to see if the knock could be isolated to one cylinder. There was no discernable difference. After that I borrowed a stethoscope and found the knock to be loudest at the timing cover. After finally getting all the tools I needed, I got the timing cover off, only to find no obvious signs of damage. The only thing I saw was some marks on the crankshaft timing gear that looks like someone whacked it a few times to get it seated properly. (see photo)

So what's my next course of action. Do I drop the oil pan and see what there is to see from underneath? Do I bolt it back together and take it to a mechanic? I'm coming to the limits of my :banana: :banana: skills. Any suggestions?
    img1.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.