What year did nav system start? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pskhaat

Tourer
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
alamosa.mobi
In what year did the navigation system (via LCD) become available? I thought I had asked this before a while ago, but I can't seem to find it in search. I thought it was 2003, but saw a 2002 with it. Was it only 1998-2001 that did NOT have them?

IIRC, 2001 had the option for the Navi.

Honestly, I haven't used it much at all. I've lived in the same city most of my life and know my way around. The two times it has saved me the most was driving back from business trips and I had advanced notice of a major traffic problem on the highway. I was able to guide myself along back roads to find an alternate route home. I loved it those two days!

Jay, the bad thing about Toyota's NAV is it's no good offroad... no breadcrumbs or topo features. That is the main reason I didn't get it.

Yeah, I'm not too impressed with it. I didn't actively search out a model with it; it just happened to be on the one I bought. As FirstToy just stated, it doesn't have as many options as a nice GPS unit. The other thing that worries me about mine is that if it ever fails, the stereo and the climate control system is all tied into it. I bet it's big $$$$ to fix/replace. But, like I said before, I loved it the couple of times it helped me avoid some nasty traffic delays.

the NavSys is terrific in town.
As said, offroad it's not great. In a pinch one can put a bunch of markers to approximate breadcrumbs but that's a pain.
Also does not readily show the instantaneous coordinates, but there is a trick: if you go in the emergency info mode it will show the coords in a submenu, a bit unwieldy though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom