What would you do with $20K to burn on your LC200? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Title says it all. $20k to burn on your LC200 (also a daily driver). What do you do?

I'd recommend before you do anything, figure out the goals for your vehicle.

$20k may get you little or much, or may even take your rig backwards relative to your goal. Far too many build to someone else's image or ideal of what a great LC should be, only to realize in retrospect that they've built a one trick pony pig that no longer is even good at being the already great car that Toyota spent tons of R&D to put together.

Well my first thought was road trip. Buy a Trailer and hit the road. Then you had to go and clarify. So with that in likely in this order.
Rock Sliders
Belly Armor
Front and Rear Bumpers w Tire Carrier
Largest Belly Tank that fits
Top Rack
Light Bar
Winch
With all that done redo suspension to deal with extra weight and add 2 inches of lift
Larger AT tires
Chrome delete
Pull third Row
Add drawers
Buy full set of recovery gear
Plan a trip to Moab, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana,

Good luck and have fun

I'd recommend before you do anything, figure out the goals for your vehicle.

$20k may get you little or much, or may even take your rig backwards relative to your goal. Far too many build to someone else's image or ideal of what a great LC should be, only to realize in retrospect that they've built a one trick pony pig that no longer is even good at being the already great car that Toyota spent tons of R&D to put together.

Well, to be fair, the question was what would "I" do with 20k to burn 😂

I’d struggle to spend that much, starting from my current rig (already has most of the items on these lists - and zero interest in steel bumpers). I’d do front and rear lockers, and swap out my Landshark Reef cargo boxes for a Trekboxx Bravo full system. Maybe trade my rims for some TRD BBS forged ones. I don’t think that even hits 10k.

If I was starting from a stock 200, this would also be on the list:
  • Budbuilt sliders
  • Budbuilt aluminum skids (full set)
  • Budbuilt rear shock guards (stainless)
  • King 2.5 (600 lb front)/OME 2721 rear
  • Dobinsons UCAs
  • Tundra TRD rims
  • BFG AT KO2 tires
  • Dual Odessey AGM batteries
  • Slee battery brackets
  • Redarc 1225 BCDC
  • Slee bcdc bracket
  • ARB compressor
  • Slee compressor bracket
  • Switch-Pros 9100
  • Slee sunglass bracket
  • Redarc Towpro Elite/switch blank
  • Long Range America 12.5 gallon aux tank
  • Trail Tailor Hidden Winch Mount
  • Warn 12k winch (upgrade to Xeon platinum if budget allowed)
  • Assorted recovery gear
Not sure where in this list the money would run out... I’d want to install it all myself except the gears, so I have familiarity when something goes wrong on the trail or the road. It’s a lot less financially painful if you add stuff a little at a time.
Is that all Charlie LOL..... hey hope your doing well !

Well my first thought was road trip. Buy a Trailer and hit the road. Then you had to go and clarify. So with that in likely in this order.
Rock Sliders
Belly Armor
Front and Rear Bumpers w Tire Carrier
Largest Belly Tank that fits
Top Rack
Light Bar
Winch
With all that done redo suspension to deal with extra weight and add 2 inches of lift
Larger AT tires
Chrome delete
Pull third Row
Add drawers
Buy full set of recovery gear
Plan a trip to Moab, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana,

Good luck and have fun
That would be a ton of fun!

Get mt tires and sliders.
Get recovery gear.
Put in drawers and a fridge.
Buy a ‘solar generator’ and a 150w solar blanket
Take the balance (around 15k) and fund a three month road trip. I think the Mexico border is still open, you should be able to get as far as the gap and back.

Looks like you’re in Utah? Put that money into a down payment to buy a garage for it. If it comes with a house, great, you’ll gain 20k/mo in equity in this market. You can rent it out too and use that money for mods. haha

but seriously it depends on what you want out of it. Lots of heavy stuff you can bolt on and make it a slower daily. I would spend 20k on a nice 80 series for a trail rig, or supercharge the 200 and go long travel with fiberglass fenders

Everyone and their mom is doing all these overland type trucks with heavy bumpers and racks and ladders and shovels and fuel cans. Id love to see just a clean LC with the best suspension available and maybe more of a body color-matched front bumper that integrates better with the lines of the vehicle. So take that 20k and go balls to the wall on suspension, as-in, the best you can buy, and add some high quality, good-looking tires and wheels (new Rock Warriors? or something maybe just a little wider than stock and with more offset to fit the new proportions of the vehicle) then go from there to deciding on a functional, but good-looking, front bumper.

I think so many of these overland trucks are just totally overbuilt for what they are used for. They are obnoxiously function-over-form. Some people use all that stuff and actually go on long distance off-road trips, but most people just put all that stuff on for the looks. I think that "look" is kinda overplayed now.

You can still have a highly functional truck and not look like you are about to drive to Patagonia on your way to dinner.

Id delete the roofrack altogether. Delete running boards. Dont do sliders at all. Add some of those soft flappy rally mud flaps. Makes it look fast when standing still. Maybe more of a Baja style truck than the usual thing we see everywhere now. Forget a steel rear bumper. Delete 3rd row and store full size spare inside. Add lightness.

Just my .02

Last edited:
Everyone and their mom is doing all these overland type trucks with heavy bumpers and racks and ladders and shovels and fuel cans. Id love to see just a clean LC with the best suspension available and maybe more of a body color-matched front bumper that integrates better with the lines of the vehicle. So take that 20k and go balls to the wall on suspension, as-in, the best you can buy, and add some high quality, good-looking tires and wheels (new Rock Warriors?) maybe just a little wider than stock and with more offset to fit the new proportions of the vehicle) then go from there to deciding on a functional, but good-looking, front bumper.

I think so many of these overland trucks are just totally overbuilt for what they are used for. They are obnoxiously function-over-form. Some people use all that stuff and actually go on long distance off-road trips, but most people just put all that stuff on for the looks. I think that "look" is kinda overplayed now.

You can still have a highly functional truck and not look like you are about to drive to Patagonia on your way to dinner.

Id delete the roofrack altogether. Delete running boards. Dont do sliders at all. Add some of those soft flappy rally mud flaps. Makes it look fast when standing still. Maybe more of a Baja style truck than the usual thing we see everywhere now.

Just my .02
That’s the great thing about it. You can do whatever you want to your own vehicle.

Who cares what another person does to theirs? Who are we to decide what is overbuilt or that our idea of an ideal build is better than the next person’s ideas?

I know I don’t really care what anyone thinks about what I do on my build, and I try to appreciate other people’s builds (or lack of build) for what they are.

What I try not to do is judge other people’s choices against my personal sense of propriety or aesthetics. I’m not always successful, but I try.

That’s the great thing about it. You can do whatever you want to your own vehicle.

Who cares what another person does to theirs? Who are we to decide what is overbuilt or that our idea of an ideal build is better than the next person’s ideas?

I know I don’t really care what anyone thinks about what I do on my build, and I try to appreciate other people’s builds (or lack of build) for what they are.

What I try not to do is judge other people’s choices against my personal sense of propriety or aesthetics. I’m not always successful, but I try.

Oh for crying out loud I knew someone would find a way to take offense by what I said. Im not judging anyone. HE asked for opinions, so obviously HE cares what other people think. I simply obliged him. If he wants to take input on what he should do, Im simply giving him an argument for doing something different than what everyone else does.

Maybe I read it differently. I didn’t read it as the OP asking for opinions about other people’s builds. He asked what others would burn $20k on building their 200.

Oh, and ps: I didn’t take offense at what you posted. In fact if doesn’t actually apply to me. My 200 still gets mistakenly identified as a Highlander or a 4Runner regularly....

Put it towards payments to pay it off earlier
I like this idea. For me, my needs are pretty simple. Sliders. BFG KO2 in stock size. That’s all i need for my needs. I want to keep close to stock performance as much as possible (handling, braking, acceleration over hills). I want to keep wear & tear to bear minimum, while still achieving capability that i need. KO2 and sliders keep me going on the trail without sidelining due to flats and/or painful damage to my rocker panels.

Everyone and their mom is doing all these overland type trucks with heavy bumpers and racks and ladders and shovels and fuel cans. Id love to see just a clean LC with the best suspension available and maybe more of a body color-matched front bumper that integrates better with the lines of the vehicle. So take that 20k and go balls to the wall on suspension, as-in, the best you can buy, and add some high quality, good-looking tires and wheels (new Rock Warriors? or something maybe just a little wider than stock and with more offset to fit the new proportions of the vehicle) then go from there to deciding on a functional, but good-looking, front bumper.

Id delete the roofrack altogether. Delete running boards. Dont do sliders at all. Add some of those soft flappy rally mud flaps. Makes it look fast when standing still. Maybe more of a Baja style truck than the usual thing we see everywhere now. Forget a steel rear bumper. Delete 3rd row and store full size spare inside. Add lightness.

Just my .02
I whole heartedly agree, I'm having trouble finding a stock-like front bumper that I can throw a winch on as well. Your approach and mine are the same!

Looks like you’re in Utah? Put that money into a down payment to buy a garage for it. If it comes with a house, great, you’ll gain 20k/mo in equity in this market. You can rent it out too and use that money for mods. haha

but seriously it depends on what you want out of it. Lots of heavy stuff you can bolt on and make it a slower daily. I would spend 20k on a nice 80 series for a trail rig, or supercharge the 200 and go long travel with fiberglass fenders
Yes I am in UT - the market is on FIRE! I have a garage for it already (60x60 shop) on the property. I would love to add another property to the portfolio but I'm over the bidding wars for the time being!!!

I whole heartedly agree, I'm having trouble finding a stock-like front bumper that I can throw a winch on as well. Your approach and mine are the same!
If you are happy with the stock bumper, you could check out the Trail Tailor Hidden Winch Mount. Several of us on ‘mud are running them. They work great and can be very subtle/stealthy.

Why do you want to build up the truck? To see it sitting in your driveway or to have adventure? I have zero desire personally to have 'a cool truck'. I want to use it up on adventures. So here is what I would do - Take an extended leave from work, load up the truck, and go on an adventure. Other than investing in tires, you need to spend ZERO dollars on stuff to go have a life changing adventure. I drove to Patagonia and back on a bone stock LC 100 with (at the time) 250k miles. Up until COVID, I drove down to Baja twice a year for vacation - again in a bone stock 100 or 200.

Yes I am in UT - the market is on FIRE! I have a garage for it already (60x60 shop) on the property. I would love to add another property to the portfolio but I'm over the bidding wars for the time being!!!
It's insanity. But that's awesome man.

From my experience in Utah there's a lot of fast trails with incredible scenery. I have a '21 HE and if I was going to burn $20K on it right away, I would go with:
- King/Fox coilovers
- Bumpstops
- Lighting - Combo of driving, spot, flood
- Lightweight rooftop tent with load bars
- 33-34" tires
- Supercharger
- Regear
- Air compressor
- Maybe sliders and hidden winch mount with a Comeup 12.5K
- Maybe front and rear lockers if you're in there anyway for a regear

That would be the ultimate 200 for my style.

SDHQ is starting to make more stuff for the 200, I'd check them out:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom