What would it cost? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know a guy who is selling a 85' FJ60 with 155k on it but the only problem is the engine has a bad leak and leaks oil big time. He said it would cost about $1000 to fix but instead of getting it fixed how much would it cost to drop something else in it? Another 2F or something a lil' stronger. The tranny and transfer case have been rebuilt and run perfect. The rear fenders have really bad rust on it. Everything else is pretty good shape. He's asking $2000 and lives locally to me. So i am weighing the options of if i get it what to do with the engine.

Suggestions? Advice?

wheres it leaking from? even if you spend 1k to fix it, its gonna be ALOT cheaper then stuffing some other motor in.

2k even for a leaking fj60 sounds fair to me, as long as its not rusty

Oil leaks are often from the pan, and mis-diagnosed as coming from the rear main seal. Be sure that you know where the leak is coming from before you plunk down your money.

Also, check the PS pump, air (smog) pump, clutch and hydraulics, tranny and Tcase, and GET A COMPRESSION CHECK.

I bought my '87 FJ60 with 144K on the clock, and an oil leak, which cost much less than $1000 to fix. In the process, however, we found a number of other issues to fix - from leaky PS pump, to smog pump, to leaking front headlight cleaners.

Old crusiers are awesome, but they are used, and need to be brought up to proper tune . If you can't afford to do the repairs, and are unable to do them yourself, don't buy it.

Pimp is right - it is usually better to fix the engine than to do a wholesale replacement.

Mike S

I have a customer that is trying to sell an '87 fj60 for around $2000. I checked it out and it is rust free always in Cali and had the motor rebuilt by Danny Warden about 20k ago. It needs a smog pump, P/S pump reseal but ran smooth and had no Exhaust manifold leaks like you usually find. The odometer read 266k miles is the only bad part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom