What we learned on our trip to BHCC and Yellowstone (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.toontoys.ca
Let me start by stating that I took my HJ61 with a CDNM101 in tow and we went about 5500Km. It was with my new wife Jen and I on our honeymoon. I learned a few things about the truck that where both good and bad. And found out what I would like to change for next time.

An auto SOA 60 series on 38's with A/C and an MP3 player is a great rig to travel in. I have upgraded the axles and tranny but everything else is relatively stock. (well, it's mostly Toyota) But we did run into a few issues. The first being the clutch fan on my rig is week. It will keep up to about 100* F temps, anything past that and it starts to slip and can't keep up, causing the truck to warm up (we never got over 210* F) but that's warmer then I would have like it. Also the bilstien shocks got extremely hot in the front end causing a few "bouncy" monents on some bad highways we traveled.

A bed in the back of 60 is GREAT. We really enjoyed this option and used it for the majority of our travels. I built the bed and drawers myself and they worked as expected. The ability to access the drawers from the front of the truck was a great design feature. I did screw up though. I made the bed as low as possible to maximize headroom, in doing this I was an inch short on hieght for a standard cooler to fit under the front section of the bed. Not a big deal, but I would lose the headroom next time. Also, for us I found a small 2 step stool that was great for getting in and out of the truck at night.

In the drawer system we carried all of our tools, parts, etc on one side and all our kitchen gear on the other. I made the back ten inched of the bed lift up on hinges so the you can have access to part of the drawers with the tailgate closed. The drawers are also fully removable with handles on both ends. This was handy for when we did set up our kitchen tent as we could haul everything at once. The drawers also slide forward and are accessable from the front of the truck. They worked great.

A third battery is a MUST. (or a second if your truck is only 12V) I have a 24V-12V solar converter going to a charge monitor connected to a blue top optima. It never let us down and was great to have. We bought a 12V light, fan and coffe maker. I also invested in a 1000W inverter that is connected via forklift quick disconnects for easy removal. It worked great and runs anything you want. We used it for the computer, charging batteries and my grinder.

A small cooler in the truck was sufficient for packing lunches and keeping our drinks cool for the day. I did end up moving the front support for the bed towards the rear to offer more space behind the seats. This was great for storing items that you want access to while moving. A flip up lid to under the bed may be an option as well. I would like to find a small plug in cooler for inside.

I was sceptical on towing the trailer for that distance but it turned out to be just fine. It pulled nice, is easy to wheel around by hand and the convience of it out weighs any downfalls IMO. I have a standard CDN M101 military trailer that I did a SOA to and have it on TLC hubs running a 9.00R16 tire. This allows me to only have to carry one spare tire and one set of hub bearings. We kept bigger parts and tools along with oils, tarps, chairs, tents and our cooler in the trailer.

SOA trailers on 36" tires NEED a tailgate. It's that simple. Rifling stuff up an over the top edge of the trailer got old really quickly. A hard top is essential for security. I only had the original canvas cover. The cooler should go outside the trailer in it's own alluminum box. Buy an Engel/ARB and have it with it's own batteries. Packing ice SUCKS. For myself, I am going to build a two battery box and cooler box on the front tongue of the trailer that is charged by the altenator (it's a 24V truck) This does two things for me. Allows the Engel to run on 24V and consume half the amperage and allows me to have a seperate set of batteries for my on board welder. To balance the wieght I am going to mount the spare tire on a swing out at the rear of the trailer.

All in all I was really pleased with the performance of the rig. It performed as I would have expected from any Land Cruiser out there!!

Last edited:
Beautiful truck you have there! Do you have any pics of your drawer setup that you could post?

Sounds like a great experience. I'd love to see some pics of your setup. Congratulations on your marriage, I'm getting married this weekend.

pics of everything please. Trip, drawers, bed, trailer, blah, blah, etc. Sounds like a great trip and congratulations!

OOPS, I just ran out of time and I am having trouble getting pictures off off my camera.

Here are the few pics of the trip and some of the drawers that I have posted in outfitting (I think). I will get better pics on the weekend of the drawers in action.

BlackHilklsCruiserClassic2006062.jpg

BlackHilklsCruiserClassic2006052.jpg

BlackHilklsCruiserClassic2006016.jpg

BlackHilklsCruiserClassic2006045.jpg

cruiserstuff006.jpg

09-06-06_1612.jpg

BlackHilklsCruiserClassic2006032.jpg

DSC01373.jpg

Sweet truck Dude.

I have a 12H-T I'm putting into my '60. I'm wondering if you can tell us diesel wannabies what you think of the engine in terms of power, torque, and highway manners.

Thanks much,

Goat

Hey Goat,

You will love the 12H-T. I have mine in front of an auto and really enjoy the combo. It's a little hard to tell with my truck as to what is normal... With the 5.29s and 38" rubber I think it performs great!!

On the highway we cruise comfortably at 65mph. Above that I have my fuel set such that my EGTs climb to high for my liking. I have my pyro in my exhaust manifold for the most accurate reading. On a WOT run I hit 1200* and running down the road I am between 900 and 1100. I have also set my boost to 14 PSI. Toyota doesn't turn on the warning light for boost on my truck until after 15 PSI so I figure 14 is OK. Prior to this, my truck ran very hot in stock trim (easily hitting 1500*). I think this engine screams for a bigger turbo.

I have PI installed on the truck but I have not mounted a DOT approved tank yet and the coppers give me grief about my camp bottle so I haven't had it hooked up in a while. I think it is a safe option with moderate levels and using the powershoot 2000 system. I don't care for the homebrews and the popular bullydog system. The powershot regulates the amount of propane with the amount of boost. A nice feature.

I am hopefully going down to a local Dyno days on the 16 of sept. It should be neat to see what kind of HP and torque I am making.

seen your rig at the classic...but didnt get a chance to see it up close..wish i would have got a chance to hit the trails with you when we were there....i was in the other lifted 60 there...the blue one toting 3 kids around...i didnt hear about your rig till the last day cuz you were on the otherside of the campgorund...your rig is an ispiration to anyone driving a wagon on the trails...and congrats on your marriage

Ah, yes. We checked your rig out as well but never found the owner. Very nice. Too bad we didn't hook up. Not a lot of 60 owners at the classic this year.

Here are some pictures of the drawers and bed.

DSC01686.jpg

A simple latch front and back allows me to open the drawers from either end without unlocking the other end. Simple and cheap.

DSC01687.jpg

Drawers pull out and have handles on both ends. One side for parts/welder/tools and the other for kitchen gear.

DSC01688.jpg

On the left side of the truck I have a third battery running 12V outlet and a 400W inverter that are permantly in attached to the truck. The 1000W inverter is on quick connects the same as the welder. The right side is used for recovery gear.

DSC01690.jpg

DSC01689.jpg

As you can see in this pic the front support for the bed is set back allowing for more room behind the seats. The front section is two peices with the supports on a piano hing allowing it to fold flat for easy storage. The whole mess is held together with 6 stainless bolts with nutserts to keep it sturdy. It takes about 2 minutes to undo and remove from the truck.

DSC01691.jpg

DSC01692.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom