what was the original vintage roof rack of the toyota fj40 like? (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
what was the original vintage roof rack of the toyota fj40 like? Original color ?
pictures ?

thanks

the original ones were wire frame racks.... these were sourced local in most areas... later racks were more stout racks.

alot of racks were add-ons by previous owners that were screwed down into the fiberglass.... places like jcwhitney sold the universal kits.... more appropriate add-ons were the con-ferr porthole racks

wire frame dealer in OZ:

84fj45troop-vi.jpg

wire frame as see in sales lit:
fj55 roof racks.png

wire frame sales lit

87140677.JPG

screwed down aftermarket as well as some dealers possibly installed

image1dfgjs.JPG

Con-Ferr rack on my truck circa 90? or so
MVC-026F.JPG

I don’t remember any coming stock with a rack. Probably the most popular vintage rack was a Con Fer, made right in Burbank, CA. I believe.

The ones that attach to the roof rails will eventually bend the rails down and cause leaks and rust

The ones that attach to the roof rails will eventually bend the rails down and cause leaks and rust

Really depends a lot of things. Climate, number of mounting points, weight of rack, how heavy it is loaded and how hard the cruiser is wheeled. Obviously a rack mounted to the frame would support the most weight . Mounted to the body would do better if want to drill and add bracing. Then straight to the fiberglass which I personally would never considering the washboard trails in AZ. I personally would use a lightweight rack with a minimum three mounts per side. Unlike the frame the fiberglass top is not designed to flex, which would be a drawback if you wheel hard.

Bought my ‘75 40 new. Dealer add on was a Con Fer. Still have the 40…and the Con Fer.

Con Fer is now sitting on my 60. Great rack. We like racks.😁

B2349F64-0635-4371-96C6-5334889E9371.png

7AD62146-8CFB-496F-AE0D-EEFA07ECE65B.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom