What The Heck Is Rolling Around In The Back? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 2021 Heritage Edition Land Cruiser with 3rd row delete. Yesterday I started hearing something rolling around in the back. It rolls from left to right and front to back. It is heavy enough to make decent noise and definitely not round. I checked everywhere including the tailgate storage area and nothing. I have a Dessent bumper, so it is not in the bumper area. It sounds like is is coming from under the carpet area in the rear. Any thoughts or insight is appreciated.

Like already written maybe the spare tire or you just remove the rear plastic housings in the trunk. Maybe something got loose and fell down inside.

Did this start happening after the bumper install? Maybe something fell inside the frame? Did you install a slider as well?

The tire underneath is tight and fine. The bumper was installed almost two months ago and there have been zero issues. It sounds like it is moving completely from one side of the vehicle to the other. Less movement front to back. A normal turn won't cause it. I have to turn hard, brake hard or accelerate hard to make whatever it is move. Also, the sound is more muffled and not the sound of metal hitting metal.

Check the roof rack? I once had some acorns in the rails/track.

Was driving me insane. I had to have someone ride in the trunk until we figured it out as I swore it wasn't coming from above.

Kids? Maybe a skittle got dropped into one of the AC vents on the wheel well humps or under the second row?

Kids? Maybe a skittle got dropped into one of the AC vents on the wheel well humps or under the second row?
The kids are in college, and I checked under all seats and even folded them up. Whatever it is definitely sounds heavier and larger in nature than candy or acorns. Think of the sound of a 3-6 inch 2x4 or wooden block the size of a Rubics cube rolling over carpet.

The kids are in college, and I checked under all seats and even folded them up. Whatever is definitely sounds heavier and larger in nature than candy or acorns. Think of the sound of a 3-6 inch 2x4 or wooden block the size of a rubics cube rolling over carpert.

I meant specifically inside the air ducting which runs under the carpet/seats. Those things can amplify sounds like a horn.

There just aren’t that many places for things to roll far enough for that.. or large enough. Which is why I’m thinking that location.. and it doesn’t have to be a skittle. Certain buttons, acorn, etc.

I had a vehicle in the past with a marble in the rocker panel and that drove me nuts.. every acceleration/decel..

We one time had a 3” rubber ball that sat on the roof rolling between the side rails and the cross bars. Couldn’t figure out what was making the noise. Took it to our local guy to have it checked out and after a while he found the ball. That ball was mounted onto a trophy that sits in their shop to this day.

Surely he would've noticed if there was a kid rolling around the back of his truck.
Probably not the strangest situation most parents find their kids in at one point or another..

Check the roof rack? I once had some acorns in the rails/track.

Was driving me insane. I had to have someone ride in the trunk until we figured it out as I swore it wasn't coming from above.
Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner!!!!!!! Here was the culprit. I climbed up on my rock sliders and low and behold, a rather heavy Magnolia Tree seed pod, It was rolling around on the roof inside of my roof rack. I would have sworn that it was coming from inside the vehicle.

IMG_E4215.JPG

We one time had a 3” rubber ball that sat on the roof rolling between the side rails and the cross bars. Couldn’t figure out what was making the noise. Took it to our local guy to have it checked out and after a while he found the ball. That ball was mounted onto a trophy that sits in their shop to this day.
You deserve a Chicken Dinner as well. Thanks for the help guys.

I subscribed to this thread all the way from the 100 forum just to see the resolution!! 🤣

😄 i was going to say I found a trailer wiring adapter rolling around in my quarter panel recently, but this is much better. You should bury it deep in the dash as an easter egg for some future owner. I've found a few great mementos in some of my past cruisers... picture of someone's sweetheart, Pikachu toy, plastic dinosaur, etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom