What size is this battery cable ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

93yotasr5

Come and take it
Threads
I acquired this fatty battery cable some time ago with the intention of using it for my dual battery set up.one end already had the battery terminal pressed on. I have looked online to figure it out based on diameter but I am coming up short. It’s approx. 2” In circumference. Trying to figure it out so I can order the correct terminations. I have it next to a 4ga wire for comparison. I may just say screw it and order some 1ga wire to simplify things.

4292D959-BCBC-49E3-A542-464B5812566C.jpeg

71B8DC13-66BB-466C-B9C6-D7691EB40F0C.jpeg

E294EE22-3831-404B-A0FA-4C1D4D4EC016.jpeg

8DE6C4B2-950F-48C2-9D2E-8ADF2364F083.jpeg

That is a nice big cable. If there is no marking on the cable outside sheath (it should be given in mm2 I would think, since it's german), what I would do is measure the conductor diameter, estimate the number of strands, and look in one of the many tables out there that list the dimensions of various cables to estimate the size. Should get you close enough.

That is a nice big cable. If there is no marking on the cable outside sheath (it should be given in mm2 I would think, since it's german), what I would do is measure the conductor diameter, estimate the number of strands, and look in one of the many tables out there that list the dimensions of various cables to estimate the size. Should get you close enough.

thanks. I may do that, or maybe just take it to the welding shop and see if they have the correct sized terminals.

Looks like welding cable, high amperage for sure.

Looks like welding cable, high amperage for sure.
It definitely does. But it was ok a vehicle. I got it at the local junk yard for a couple bucks. If I can find the right terminals then it’s plenty for my dual battery set up.

image.jpg

It's very easy to make cable terminals with a piece of copper pipe of the right size, and much cheaper than buying them

So after some further investigating, I figured out that the wire is pretty much a 00ga wire. I think it’s too big for my set up so I’m gonna end up using a 2 gauge wire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom