what size and spec for a utility trailer? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

semlin

curmudgeon
Threads
so I want to pick up a utility trailer. I'm wondering what size folks have found works best?

this is for everything but camping. e.g., hauling garbage, lumber, gravel, top soil, and heavy stuff. It looks like I am going to be taking on some big reno work shortly so I need something that can dodecent sized loads. I'm looking at an 8x4 with 3500 lb axle, 14 inch wheels, fixed 16" sides, tailgate and removable boat/ lumber rack,. A 10x5 sure is tempting but a fair bit more dough and I wonder if it will be more of a pain to two behind the 80. I'm thinking that the 8' bed is too short for 14' and greater lengths of lumber. I'm also wondering whether removable sides might come in handy.

anyway, post up what has worked for you...

I have a 8x4 works fine for hauling stuff around town and is usable off road.
Yes, a small 1/4 ton mil type probably is handier offroad but these don't carry too much. The 8x4 is a bit big offroad but holds enough to last 3 weeks in the desert...

If I could find a good deal on one, I'd get a 1/2 ton military if I didn't already have mine.. But they are not cheap.

I got a good deal on the utility one but making it fully ready for offroad is adding up, just the pintle hook system is going to be over a $100. Had to flip the axle over etc.

Removable sides are not that critical -for me at least. Mine are removable but never took them off.

What I like about mine is that it is way overdesigned and very sturdy. I put on a metal rack on it and could easily put a tent up there.

I have an 8X4 flat bed with removable sides. Not that I have ever removed them. With the right tires I can haul 2 yards of base rock or gravel. About as much as I want to deal with in a weekend. Bigger trailer = more work. Stick with the 8X4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom