What issues need to look for when buying 2003/2004 GX470 with 200k miles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What issues need to look for when buying 2003/2004 GX470 with 200k miles

1. Rust underneath
2. transfer case leaking
3. air suspension rear and front?

What else we need to look into? Thanks.

Thrown codes,

For example, emissions codes indicating that the SAIS system is failing/ has failed.
There is an inexpensive bypass kit for it, as the oem system will fail eventually.

Oh, and the air suspension is only in the rear.

Steering rack, radiator, shocks, ac, bushings

No front air shocks just rear

If it’s pearl white the paint peels

Thank you so much for the help, I added them all up.

1. Rust underneath
2. transfer case leaking
3. rear air suspension
4. timing belt serpentine belt
5. codes and if emissions codes indicating that the SAIS system is failing/ has failed
6. Steering rack,
7. radiator,
8. shocks,
9. ac,
10. bushings
11. If it’s pearl white the paint peels

By the way, I saw one with nice maintenance, 2004, 200k miles, pearl white, ask for $8000, it is expensive?

No SAIS on 2003s and 2004, only 2005+, but the thought is still valid for other codes that could indicate other potential problems.

I'd add to the list the exhaust manifold tick, indicating a cracked and/or leaking exhaust manifold. It is mostly heard when starting up cold, as they can often seal up when the manifold expands from the heat, so beware if you show up to look at one and it is already warmed up for you. It generally doesn't hurt the vehicle at all, you just get a lot of looks in parking lots, and it also isn't an inexpensive or easy repair. My coworkers love making fun of my ticking Lexus...

Thank you for the help. I added as the following checking list.

1. Rust underneath
2. transfer case leaking
3. rear air suspension
4. timing belt (need to replace 100k miles or 10 years) serpentine belt
5. codes and if emissions codes indicating that the SAIS system is failing/ has failed
6. Steering rack,
7. radiator,
8. shocks,
9. ac,
10. bushings
12. exhaust manifold tick, indicating a cracked and/or leaking exhaust manifold (mostly heard when starting up cold)

I’m currently in the market for one, preferably 08-09. Does this checklist applies for all model years?

I'd say check the rear main seal as well. Factor that repair into your price or use it as a bargaining chip.

I’m currently in the market for one, preferably 08-09. Does this checklist applies for all model years?
Yep. The only major differences between the earlier and later models were the switch to VVTi (and 35 more horsepower) in 2005, the availability of KDSS starting in 2005 (I think), and the improved stereo options from 2006 on.

Yep. The only major differences between the earlier and later models were the switch to VVTi (and 35 more horsepower) in 2005, the availability of KDSS starting in 2005 (I think), and the improved stereo options from 2006 on.

I plan on swapping over my king shock setup on my 05 4runner. Can I remove KDSS completely?

I'm honestly not sure about the KDSS removal. I don't have KDSS on my GX, so it isn't something I've ever thought about or looked into. I know the sway bar mounts are different on KDSS-equipped models, but I don't know what impact that would have on swapping to standard sway bars. Hopefully someone a bit more experienced with KDSS can chime in.

I plan on removing front and rear sway bars all together like my 4runner. There’s just more articulation with the bars removed. But even with KDSS the shock, spring, UCA, aftermarket rear 4 links are interchangeable correct?

Thank you so much for the help, I added them all up.

1. Rust underneath
2. transfer case leaking
3. rear air suspension
4. timing belt serpentine belt
6. Steering rack,
7. radiator,
8. shocks,
9. ac,
10. bushings

By the way, I saw one with nice maintenance, 2004, 200k miles, pearl white, ask for $8000, it is expensive?
What is "nice maintenance?" Are all the above items addressed? Is the frame clean? If the truck is clapped out and major services put off or done 50k miles ago, thrashed interior, mismatched tires and frame with rust everywhere, yeah it is expensive.

Although any cruiser that has had neglected maintenance is going to be expensive- you either pay more up front or you buy cheap and pay as you go...

I plan on removing front and rear sway bars all together like my 4runner. There’s just more articulation with the bars removed. But even with KDSS the shock, spring, UCA, aftermarket rear 4 links are interchangeable correct?
I believe so. I haven't paid much attention the KDSS-specific parts, but I believe the biggest changes for KDSS are rear axle sway bar mounting points.

Can someone help me out on the "non warrantable code" on a large percentage of the lexus service history? What does this mean?

When I looked up my GX's service history, that was the label occasionally given for the "service engine soon" light that indicates oil change time. It didn't show that every time there was an oil change, so I can't say for sure that it doesn't mean something else as well.

Definitely number 12. I did the driver side and mine in the flange was completely broken off. She’s a bit quieter now that I did the driver side I still have to do the passenger side. Not looking forward to doing this and it was about a $2000 job to have it done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom