What is this leak? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2006 GX470: What is this that is leaking (circled in yellow) and how much lighter will my wallet be?

This is taken from the middle looking towards the front. The oil pan is right in front of it (that's not leaking, I just made a mess trying to change my oil)

Thanks all, trying to learn.

IMG_9464.jpeg

looks like rear main seal

or transmission leak

It is a rear main seal leak and is pretty common in the 2UZ. Mine had it, and it seems to have fixed itself after I added a bottle of AT-205 seal conditioner in at an oil change earlier this year. Fixing it "for real" would likely involve dropping the transmission and transfer case, and is not something I would do unless it started to really leak. Luckily the AT-205 was the ticket for mine.

It is a rear main seal leak and is pretty common in the 2UZ. Mine had it, and it seems to have fixed itself after I added a bottle of AT-205 seal conditioner in at an oil change earlier this year. Fixing it "for real" would likely involve dropping the transmission and transfer case, and is not something I would do unless it started to really leak. Luckily the AT-205 was the ticket for mine.
Oh man, I just changed my oil yesterday too... So I will be OK for now until the leak gets worse? Just check oil levels and keep an eye on it? What is worst case scenario?

It looks like a pretty small drip, so just check your oil semi-regularly. Mine dripped for maybe a year (?) but it was literally just a few drops between oil changes, so it didn't really drop the oil level. You can add in a bottle of AT-205 right now and it will probably dry it up prior to your next oil change.

It looks like a pretty small drip, so just check your oil semi-regularly. Mine dripped for maybe a year (?) but it was literally just a few drops between oil changes, so it didn't really drop the oil level. You can add in a bottle of AT-205 right now and it will probably dry it up prior to your next oil change.
OK thanks!!

I also have a drip from this area but it is not the rear main. It is the input shaft seal on the trans. If your trans fluid is in good condition and still red it's easy to distinguish between the two.

But if the trans fluid is old and dirty it can look like oil that would suggest a rear main.

I suggest you dig a little deeper before you start dumping seal conditioner into something that doesn't need it.

I also have a drip from this area but it is not the rear main. It is the input shaft seal on the trans. If your trans fluid is in good condition and still red it's easy to distinguish between the two.

But if the trans fluid is old and dirty it can look like oil that would suggest a rear main.

I suggest you dig a little deeper before you start dumping seal conditioner into something that doesn't need it.
Seal conditioner will help all of your seals, regardless of it they are already leaking or not. It works on transmission and TC/axle seals as well, I'll probably be dumping a a few ounces in my differential and TC at the next fluid change, as well as the transmission.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom