What is this dash bulb for? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GS 60

SILVER Star
Threads
Hi,
While changing out the dash pad, I noticed a bulb holder taped back on purpose that obviously inserts into back of 4WD unit on dash.
What should light up next to 4WD icon?
Many thanks.
1988 HJ61 VX (JDM)

fullsizeoutput_57b.png

fullsizeoutput_57d.png

fullsizeoutput_57e.png

If you shine a light on the front you might be able to see what would light up if the bulb was behind there.

not too much info on the part number, "indicator light"

Tried the light, nothing doing, lols like this is only a bulb indicator of some sort, what, I have no idea The cruiser part net number and tape over is exactly the same as mine. The holder seems to be factory wrapped back into the loom as well which makes me think this was done at factory for an option I don’t have ,
Intestisting that Cruider Net call it a front turn signal lamp, maybe it’s an option that tells you you turn signals are not working,?
Not going to stress about it, as I think it was factory done, still love to know what’s it’s for though😜

Petrol Version JDM .That spot is used in a Fj62 3fe.
Took a picture from a JDM brochure.Zoomed in on that spot.
20190603_212359.jpg

On my LHD HJ61 it is a blank on the opposite side.
It is not an air filter symbol .Catalyc converter ? Heat warning ? Did they, Fj62, have that ? Don't know.

Petrol Version JDM .That spot is used in a Fj62 3fe.
Took a picture from a JDM brochure.Zoomed in on that spot.
View attachment 1993672
On my LHD HJ61 it is a blank on the opposite side.
It is not an air filter symbol .Catalyc converter ? Heat warning ? Did they, Fj62, have that ? Don't know.
Hi Sved,
That makes sense. So, it’s unused on your Hj62 as well? What year is it and have you had a look behind the dash?

Sounds like it’s an option of some sort, could be just on the petrol engines ?
Thanks

Hi Sved,
That makes sense. So, it’s unused on your Hj62 as well? What year is it and have you had a look behind the dash?

Sounds like it’s an option of some sort, could be just on the petrol engines ?
Thanks
Meant to say HJ61 of course

Hello Frank,

My HJ61 '88' is in resto mode so it was easy to take a look behind the dash. It has only half of the bulbholder that you showed.
Makes sence since there is no need for this catalyst converter temp warning on non JAP 62 series,so they didn't bother to provide the rest of the world with a empty bulbholder.
The JAP EPC shows a thermosensor bracket on the exhaust(Cat) on the 3FE models,which can not be found on the USA EPC .
And it has nothing to do with diff locks,because mine has the cable lockers and the warning lamps are in the center of the dash behind the steering wheel.

So only JAP FJ62 3FE's have this gadget.

Last edited:
Hello Frank,

My HJ61 is in resto mode so it was easy to take a look behind the dash. It has only half of the bulbholder that you showed.
Makes sence since there is no need for this catalyst converter temp warning on non JAP 62 series,so they didn't bother to provide the rest of the world with a empty bulbholder.
The JAP EPC shows a thermosensor bracket on the exhaust(Cat) on the 3FE models,which can not be found on the USA EPC .
And it has nothing to do with diff locks,because mine has the cable lockers and the warning lamps are in the center of the dash behind the steering wheel.

So only JAP FJ62 3FE's have this gadget.
Thanks Sved,
So the blank and associated loom are on every JAP HJ and FJ but only used on the JAP FJ 62?

yes, that is my conclusion. But then again Toyota has build the most weired 6# combination,so you never can be sure :p

yes, that is my conclusion. But then again Toyota has build the most weired 6# combination,so you never can be sure :p

Good enough for me.

Good luck with the rresto.

Thanks again

I thought this was the location for the "check engine" light for North American FJ62's. Can't find a picture right now...

EDIT: oops. nope - that's on the other side.

It's really common for Toyota to build one wiring loom to suit multiple models and spec levels, makes manufacturing and assembly simpler and cheaper. Unused plugs etc are just tucked away or left hanging
Dash is similar. Unused indicator windows are taped to keep dust out.

Look around your engine bay for example, there'll be unused plugs allover the place

It's really common for Toyota to build one wiring loom to suit multiple models and spec levels, makes manufacturing and assembly simpler and cheaper. Unused plugs etc are just tucked away or left hanging
Dash is similar. Unused indicator windows are taped to keep dust out.

Look around your engine bay for example, there'll be unused plugs allover the place
Hi , yes, I can see that, there are unused plugs everywhere. Taking the dash pad out and reinstalling is such a pain that I didn't want to put it back in without checking this out first.
Thanks to all responders, my mind is at ease now and its back in.
Incidentally, I have a BJ42LX that came from your part of the world (serviced at Bronte Autos) It has unused plugs all over it as well?

Thanks again.

RLCovgmyS9Gjreo1PDtcOA.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom