What is the rubber pad mounted under frame rail... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
On 2000 TLC, there's a thick rubber bumper or pad, mounted to the underside of the frame rail, located roughly under the front seat. It sort of looks like a large number 8 or double donut, where a bolt goes through each hole and fastens in the frame. About 8 inches long, and and around 2 inches thick.

My guess is that it's a jacking point for a hydraulic lift to pick up the car. But the odd thing is I only see one on the passenger's side. There are two bolt holes on the rail under the driver's side, but no pad.

Does anybody know what this is and whether I should have one on each side?

Should I be using this as a lift point for my floor jack?

This one has been discussed in the past without much resolution. The consensus is (I think) that it is a damper for a harmonic vibration that develops somewhere in the exhaust or chasis.

Some vehicles have it, others don't.

I read there are 5 different ones that resonate at different frequencies, there is a TSB about it IIRC

Anti-flipover device.

yup, some kinda vibration damper, heard folks removing them with no ill effects.

Thanks for all the posts. Commencing to ignore the thing.

I won't use it to jack the vehicle.

I like the sprinkler hold-down idea!

Some 1998 – 2006 model year Land Cruiser vehicles may exhibit an exhaust booming noise after the vehicle reaches operating temperature at idle with the vehicle stopped and the transmission in the &#8220:D” range. The following procedures have been developed to correct this condition.......

Various procedures for different vehicles

............Install No. 4 Crossmember Damper Weight.....(probably what you found)

.........The 5 exhaust pipe dampers are tuned to different frequencies (32 Hz, 39 Hz, 48 Hz, 43.8 Hz, and 34.6 Hz). Install each of the 5 exhaust pipe dampers to determine which is the most effective. etc etc

But mine is not mounted on a cross member.

The rubber "8" is mounted on the right-sight longitudinal (front-to-back) frame rail that runs under the front passengers seat, the right rear passenger's seat, and heads toward the back.

It's not on a cross member or exhaust component.

So are we talking about the same thing?

I removed mine sometime ago and now my 100 lists to one side

Kidding aside, I can hardly stand all the additional frame/chassis vibration now that I don't have this thing installed anylonger

Could resist mess'n whichya...Know one actually, truly, knows what it is for....
LC frame dampener.jpg

spressomon said:
Kidding aside, I can hardly stand all the additional frame/chassis vibration now that I don't have this thing installed anylonger

Did you have the vibration before or after your lift ?? And if before, it get any worse after the lift?

My LC is brand new and I do notice a minor vibration at a certain RPM coming up through the chassis/foor pan.... but on the driver side. I don't have figure 8 dampeners, I wonder if this is a TSB fix ?

I'm curious as to the possible source of this vib... exhaust? driveline?

a990dna said:
Did you have the vibration before or after your lift ?? And if before, it get any worse after the lift?

My LC is brand new and I do notice a minor vibration at a certain RPM coming up through the chassis/foor pan.... but on the driver side. I don't have figure 8 dampeners, I wonder if this is a TSB fix ?

I'm curious as to the possible source of this vib... exhaust? driveline?

I removed mine sometime ago and now my 100 lists to one side

Could resist mess'n whichya...Know one actually, truly, knows what it is for....

...the devil made me do it :D

spressomon said:
...the devil made me do it :D

I've been duped ... I think I'll exit stage left :eek:

ZJ2UZJ100 said:
The rubber "8" is mounted on the right-sight longitudinal (front-to-back) frame rail that runs under the front passengers seat, the right rear passenger's seat, and heads toward the back.

It's not on a cross member or exhaust component.

So are we talking about the same thing?

More than likely, the TSB calls it a no.4 crossmember damper, but shows it mounted just behind the crossmember as yours probably is.

I'm telling you for the last time. It is a bolt on sprinkler control system! Just unbolt it and hold down your sprinkler even when the water is on full blast. You won't know the difference and you won't have that big steel bugger hanging off your frame rail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom