What hose clamp for metal T's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Western NC- Hour North of Asheville on the BRP
Before I bought my new truck I asked the seller if he knew of a Toyota mechanic he trusted who could do the T-belt/water pump replacement before he shipped it to me. My broken back has forced me to stop doing all of the wrenching myself-- perhaps my P38 RR put the nail in that coffin.

I also told him that this would be a great time to install new T's. He brought the truck over to his mechanic who did the job for a fair price. Odd having anyone besides myself wrenching on one of my machines.

I assumed that the mechanic would go with the OEM plastic because I had read some threads here that the stock spring clamps do not work well on metal aftermarket T's.

Of course, he installed metal T's and used wide traditional hose clamps with no rolled edges. Looks like he had to torque them down pretty hard to prevent leaks. There is a bit of coolant residue indicating a slight seepage prior to the retorquing. The hoses look pretty strangled.

As I do not want to drain the new coolant, I would like to find rolled edge hose clamps that will do the job with these metal Ts.

I made a search and I could not find any recommended clamps for metal T's. I am sure there are recommendations buried in many threads- but I could not find them.

Any recommendations?

JunkCrzr89-- McMaster is also my go-to.

I was going to buy the 304 stainless 5/8"-1 1/16" clamps, but I was thinking the 3/8" width of these clamps may be too narrow.

I could double them up but that could extend beyond the metal T's barbed end. I was wondering if there were wider stainless hose clamps available that were as wide as the original spring clamps.

The mechanic used .5" wide non-rolled edge clamps which have crushed the hose's OD down pretty severely to keep the metal Ts from leaking.

I thought I would need the same .5" width smooth hose clamp to match the crushed down length of hose that his clamps created in order to get a good seal.

But as normal- I could be overthinking this.

Last edited:
JunkCrzr89-- McMaster is also my go-to.

I was going to buy the 304 stainless 5/8"-1 1/16" clamps, but I was thinking the 3/8" width of these clamps may be too narrow.

I could double them up but that could extend beyond the metal T's barbed end. I was wondering if there were wider stainless hose clamps available that were as wide as the original spring clamps.

The mechanic used .5" wide non-rolled edge clamps which have crushed the hose's OD down pretty severely to keep the metal Ts from leaking.

I thought I would need the same .5" width smooth hose clamp to match the crushed down length of hose that his clamps created in order to get a good seal.

But as normal- I could be overthinking this.
They have a 304 5/8"-1 1/16" clamp in 1/2” width. Were the hoses replaced or are they the originals? If original, I would just replace all of them with new Toyota clamps and Toyota Ts.

They have a 304 5/8"-1 1/16" clamp in 1/2” width. Were the hoses replaced or are they the originals? If original, I would just replace all of them with new Toyota clamps and Toyota Ts.

I have no idea if the hoses are original-- they look good, soft with no splits on the ends. I will order the hoses to have on hand but I no longer have the back to lean that far into the truck and remove/replace them at this time.

I will watch them and in the meantime find a mechanic I can trust. Two years back I would have just gone and done that as part of baselining a new truck. I have always wrenched on my own machines so looking for and depending upon a mechanic is new to me.

Ha- missed the 1/2" wide clamp-- just one line down from the 3/8".

Thank you-- more senior moments.

Two years back I would have just gone and done that as part of baselining a new truck. I have always wrenched on my own machines so looking for and depending upon a mechanic is new to me.
On the bright side, you live in a beautiful part of the country. I grew up a couple of hours from Asheville, and spent a lot of time roaming the mountains there. My grandfather was a ski instructor in Boone/Banner Elk for a long time.

On the bright side, you live in a beautiful part of the country. I grew up a couple of hours from Asheville, and spent a lot of time roaming the mountains there. My grandfather was a ski instructor in Boone/Banner Elk for a long time.

Been retired up here for 12 years. I am only 10 minutes from the Blue Ridge and I would ride one of my motorcycles almost every day.

It is almost magical up here. But my back has restricted my riding which is sad for me.

Here is a photo of two of my bikes-- I was riding the '46 Indian and my stepson was riding my old BMW /2 "conversion"

Brenan and Me on parkway.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom