What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (66 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The reverse light is unique to 1973. It is larger and was only used for that year.
Mine was not present when I got it 25 years ago.

90638007-M.jpg

@POTATO LAUNCHER that was one of the really cool things Toyota did on the '73, wonder why they only did it for one year? I could see that being useful for camping to get at things in the back. Nice find............

I finally finished restoring my set of factory bows and will throw on the OCD top tonight. Everything is OEM except for the windshield channel which I bought from Real Steel. I have to give these guys a thumbs up because the channel was identical to OEM and it fit on perfectly. Price was good as well! I still need the two rear brackets that connect to the tub so I am using 3/4 conduit clamps for now. They actually work great!

These were freeborn red and pretty rusted up when I bought them. I had them media blasted and put some new hardware because a lot of the welded on bolts were super rusty and needed to be replaced. Each of the cross bars had 3 tabs on the top to run wires. A couple were busted off so I ended up fabricating and replacing with all new ones. Interesting the tabs were on both sides. (picture included)

After replacing the welded hardware, I had them painted with a 2k epoxy primer. From there I used Spraymax aerosol cans for the base coat and used Spraymax 2k clear coat to finish everything up.

IMG_0944.JPG
IMG_0947.JPG
IMG_0948.JPG
IMG_0951.JPG

IMG_0952.JPG

@jvincig01

Very nice you got the a bit later bows ... they have the opening for the dome light makes them around 73/74+ ... for oem FST canvas doors

You have the canvas doors as well?

Great looking cruiser!!!

Thanks!! I wish I had the earlier bows that were year appropriate for my '67 but these these things are so darn hard to come by, as you know. I actually like the idea of a dome light so I will install one soon. I am going to tackle the footman loops once I have the top on (read that on a post). I also read that the side loops are about an inch higher than the ones on the doors. I cant seem to find that thread again though.

I have the canvas doors but will probably start working on those next year. Between the top, the bows, the paint, etc. I have spent too much moola lately and the wife ain't happy. Guess I need to continue selling some more parts to fund the habit:clap:

I have already started looking for ways to restore the doors with canvas on the side. I literally just started searching for step by step instructions because I have never tackled that project before.

By the way, thanks for the tips on how to UV protect the top! I will be treating it with Trek7 when it arrives here this week.

hey, would 305/70/16 cooper st maxx fit on my 2001 land cruiser with 1.25 spacers all around?

You probably already figured it... This is the FJ40 forum, we still use square wheels and tires. Go up one level and find the right forum for you

Made a bracket for the proportioning valve and got the rear lines tackled. Next to finish up the front hardlines.

View attachment 1530287 View attachment 1530288 View attachment 1530289 View attachment 1530290
View attachment 1530291

I love your workbench!! Looks just like one we had in the farm outside of Cave City!! 'course, I was even shorter then...

Saw a little problem at my lower steering column when I was replacing my rag joint. So I took the steering column apart.
Now I need to find some parts.View attachment 1531474 View attachment 1531475

View attachment 1531474

Dave... Remember your thumb(?) nail? I cringe when I see your unprotected toes... :eek:

Didn't mean to post that last pic. That's my wife and Chewy our Ridge Back and Pit.

Right Nolen... Now, you're just showing off... That's one good looking dog!!

... and your wife is gorgeous!!

Loving great, Ryan!!

Not liking Montana, right?

The 'old ('70)' 350 is out and the 'new ('72)' one is ready to go in. Thanks to the help of some good friends. :D

IMG_6548.JPG

Haven't swapped the valve covers yet.

After 3 anxious weeks I got my truck back from the trim shop. But it was worth the wait!!!

IMG_1778.JPG

IMG_1779.JPG

IMG_1780.JPG

So, do 72 and older have a reverse light?

Yes but it was a standard small clear rectangle. 1968 to 1972, 74 brought the multilamp taillights that have reverse light integrated. 73 is the only year that I am aware of for that particular light.

light-reverse-7.jpg

So those are FJ60 seats? Are they attached to the stock seat frames? Any photos during the installation?

I'm thinking of installing FJ60 seats in my '71 FJ40 using '76 FJ40 seat supports and brackets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom