What happens when I unplug my voltage regulator? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I burned out my headlights first both on low beam and then both on high beam. I have a GM alternator with my smallblock conversion. My ampmeter is always flying all over the place, regardless of what is turned on or off. My battery charges well, and all my other lights and accessories work fine. My headlights used to go from dim to bright randomly. Then they all just burned out. I checked my voltage going to the battery with it running and it went up to 16+ volts. I unlugged my voltage regulator and everything still works, lights, etc. I have not plugged my new headlights back in as I don't want to blow new bulbs. Is my stock voltage regulator being bypassed? Prior owner had SBC conversin done by a shop and doesn't know how it was wired up. Thanks!

VR

Yes it sure sounds like your voltage regulator is not working. Dont run it unregulated because the alternator will constantly put out its full current not to mention 16 volts---if it is doing 16 volts at idle it is probably climbing beyond that when you rev the engine

Either you VR was not wired in correctly or is bad

Find the alternator field terminal and make sure it was not wired to battery 12v constant

Last edited:
The 16 volts burned out the headlights and will take out your ignition system next.

If you have a GM alternator you probably have an internally regulated alternator. So if you unplugged your regulator, you unplugged the OEM external one? Was it really still connected, or was it there but bypassed? If it was already bypassed that's why unplugging it made no difference. If it was actually connected that would explain some of your problems.

Sounds like the GM alternators internal regulator has failed. Remove the alternator and take it to Auto Crap to be checked for free.

I unplugged the factory VR.

Yes, I unplugged the factory voltage regulator. Doesn't all the power go through this? If I unplugged it why would me running lights still work?

I only have a single wire running from my alternator to the battery, is this maybe the internal regulated one that has failed?

Thanks!

Yes, I unplugged the factory voltage regulator. Doesn't all the power go through this? If I unplugged it why would me running lights still work?

I only have a single wire running from my alternator to the battery, is this maybe the internal regulated one that has failed?

Thanks!

So you have a one wire hookup. If you are reading 16 volts then yes the internal regulator has failed. Is there a plug on te alternator with a jumper wire in it?

Remember you can run without an alternator at all. The battery will power everything in the truck including your running lights. (Till it goes dead of course... ;))

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom