What happens to the points (and condenser) connector after installing pertronix ignition? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi

I installed Pertronix igniter ll on my 1990 FJ70 3F, I removed the condenser and the resistor. I screwed both resistor wires to the positive side of the coil.

The truck work fine, except I had to rotate the dizzy all the way that I could, 22 degrees.

There's one wire that I haven't touched. The old points and condenser are fed by this wire. I can't tell if it's a ground or positive wire.

Because when the car is off, it's a negative wire. After it starts, it a positive wire.

I did the resistance and loaded voltage tests recommended by Pertronix, and I passed. No issues there.

Should I connect this wire to the negative side of the coil? Or should I connect the negative side of the igniter ll to this wire instead of the coil? Or should I hook it up to the positive side of the coil?

Thank you

I'm reading the FSM, the wiring diagram in IG-3 shows that that wire should be a ground. But why does it appear as a positive on the voltmeter when the engine is running?
ig3.JPG

Last edited:
By looking at the wiring schematic you posted; you are reading the positive thru the coil windings.
That wire when wired thru the points switches the ground (makes and breaks) to power up the coil.
I would expect that wire to some how be connected into the Pertronix module to switch power when powering up the coil.

By looking at the wiring schematic you posted; you are reading the positive thru the coil windings.
That wire when wired thru the points switches the ground (makes and breaks) to power up the coil.
I would expect that wire to some how be connected into the Pertronix module to switch power when powering up the coil.

At the time of measuring the voltage in that wire, it wasn't connected to anything. I did not connect it to the coil, it was just dangling. I have no idea why it behaves that way. So I don't think it was affected by the coil at all. Keep in mind that my wiring has slightly changed after installing the pertronix unit of course.

OK so according to the FSM (chassis and body) pages 715-716, this wire appears to go to either the AC amplifier or the tach (my truck wasn't supplied with one). In any case it doesn't seem relevant to my problem. That wire is definitely a positive wire after further testing.

This leaves me with the plug wires. I thought the OEM wires would work fine, I promise I searched the topic before posting this reply but I'm still not clear.

Is the OEM plug wires suppression wires or solid core wires? Because it seems that I should be using either suppression plug wires or spiral-wound wires. I have seem this article linked by Pertronix but I still can't identify the wires.
Ignition Wiring - Rod & Custom Magazine

This is the OEM plug wires I have now (Denso 671-6180):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EQEQGE/

ig4.JPG

If I understand that article correctly, old-school wires with very low resistance can emit electro-magnetic "noise" that will fry the delicate electronic ignition. So maybe use an ohmmeter to measure the resistance in your plug wires then call Pertronix for guidance. I think the radio "noise suppressors" some cars have are simply capacitors...maybe look all over the wiring diagrams for one of them.

I have one small device that does that, it's located on passenger side near the battery and under/behind the air filter.

I just don't know which kind the OEM plug wires are classified under. I never read that people had to change them with pertronix ignition in these trucks (FJ70 FJ60 3F), so that just adds to my confusion.

If you don't get a whine or static from your radio while driving, I would assume something is absorbing or preventing that noise.
So maybe your Pertronix gear is safe?

If I understand that article correctly, old-school wires with very low resistance can emit electro-magnetic "noise" that will fry the delicate electronic ignition. So maybe use an ohmmeter to measure the resistance in your plug wires then call Pertronix for guidance. I think the radio "noise suppressors" some cars have are simply capacitors...maybe look all over the wiring diagrams for one of them.

Pertronix Stock Wires

8mm MAGx2 Wires

Ceramic Wires

Neither of their two spark plug wire types offered state they are Suppression Wires although pictures seem to indicate there is some suppression incorporated into the design.

If you don't get a whine or static from your radio while driving, I would assume something is absorbing or preventing that noise.
So maybe your Pertronix gear is safe?

This is not my main issue, but here's the information if helps the problem in this post.

I have an aftermarket stereo with the radio antenna disconnected, I listen via bluetooth only. And I have an FM transceiver.

Now, while listening on the transceiver I have no issue, but there is static with my transmit after I installed the pertronix unit. The static noise increases with increased RPM, I listened to it myself with another handheld transceiver.

The truck's transceiver is connected directly to the battery (positive to positive and negative to negative).

Does this help with diagnosing the main problem?

I now understand the problem better, but I don't have a solution.....
Can you disconnect the transceiver's antenna? If you can and you still get the noise it would seem like your Power system is getting the interference.

I now understand the problem better, but I don't have a solution.....
Can you disconnect the transceiver's antenna? If you can and you still get the noise it would seem like your Power system is getting the interference.

That is a good idea. The transceiver is now hard to reach, I will post back after I try this. Maybe it is because how I mounted the antenna.

I'm reading the FSM, the wiring diagram in IG-3 shows that that wire should be a ground. But why does it appear as a positive on the voltmeter when the engine is running?
View attachment 1940156

Curious how this has worked out for you? Happy with the Pertronix? Do you know the Pertronix part numbers you used?

Curious how this has worked out for you? Happy with the Pertronix? Do you know the Pertronix part numbers you used?

Hi I'm sorry I didn't see you message until now.

I bought the 91622LS , it has been a year without any problems whatsoever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom