What gives with the HDJ81 JDM scaremongering? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

12?

Even a day wheeling saw 14
With 33's on, my hjd81 is dead on with the speedo. The infamous 114 kmh on the cluster is also 114kmh's on the dash. It gives the thing when cruising long distances on the highway exactly 13.5 liters/100 kmh. it makes it 17.4mpg at top jdm cruising speed (114kmhs) which i find okay since i have geo3 m/t's on.

if i had normal non so agressive tires i'm pretty sure the mpg's would go up since these tires are quite noisy and all. When driving around my town commuting it's funny because is get slightly more milleage out of it. Around 18.5 mpgs. I run a 1hdft jdm.

With 33's on, my hjd81 is dead on with the speedo. The infamous 114 kmh on the cluster is also 114kmh's on the dash. It gives the thing when cruising long distances on the highway exactly 13.5 liters/100 kmh. it makes it 17.4mpg at top jdm cruising speed (114kmhs) which i find okay since i have geo3 m/t's on.

if i had normal non so agressive tires i'm pretty sure the mpg's would go up since these tires are quite noisy and all. When driving around my town commuting it's funny because is get slightly more milleage out of it. Around 18.5 mpgs. I run a 1hdft jdm.

In rarely cruise at the limit of my cruise due to speed limits around here. But with my 35s I see 17-18 at 75mph

I've owned one for 3 years. I've done extensive maintenance and have found parts not that hard to get. Most of the time the shipping from Amayama is cheaper than from the toyota dealer down the street from me. Minus large items getting aftermarket fun stuff from Australia isn't terrible because exchange rate is favorable. I've also been able to source products specific to an hdj81 here in the US. I've never got the fabled 20mpg, more like 12 to 14. The connecting rod bearings (BEBS) are a real concern. Negative, you need to be willing to tune these yourself, at least where I live, trying to find a diesel shop willing to tune injection pump ect on it has been tough.
Don't worry about the BEB's, it's a couple of hours, if you're sure that yours have not been done then get on it. There is rarely any warning, the bang will make you jump when the engine puts a leg out of bed, and of course a considerable amount of oil to deal with.

Re your comment on tuning. The diesel engine pump is gear driven, so they don't go out of tune.

No faulty sensors, no air trunking to split, no cables burning through on the bulkhead, no cats, no thoughts of head gasket needing replacement, no PHH, no lamba's...blah blah.

Regards

Dave.

Don't worry about the BEB's, it's a couple of hours, if you're sure that yours have not been done then get on it. There is rarely any warning, the bang will make you jump when the engine puts a leg out of bed, and of course a considerable amount of oil to deal with.

Re your comment on tuning. The diesel engine pump is gear driven, so they don't go out of tune.

No faulty sensors, no air trunking to split, no cables burning through on the bulkhead, no cats, no thoughts of head gasket needing replacement, no PHH, no lamba's...blah blah.

Regards

Dave.
I've done my BEBS, not a terrible job to do. Injection pump tuning I was referring to is if you start modifying things. Bigger turbo ect.

I've done my BEBS, not a terrible job to do. Injection pump tuning I was referring to is if you start modifying things. Bigger turbo ect.

Tuning to increase power can reduce engine longevity as well as associated running gear. But if you know what you are really doing then great.

Fitting a proven package designed for any particular vehicle is the way to go, changes made by inexperienced owners, or reading about other people's own mods is not the way to go.

Regards

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom