What do you think this will cost me? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Install new timing belt, water pump and seal kit - All Toyota parts
Install new serpentine belt - Toyota part
Install new radiator hoses - Toyota parts
Install new antifreeze - Toyota red antifreeze
Repack wheel bearings and check CV/boots
If front brake pads are worn more then 50% replace pads
Replace/flush brake fluid
Replace fluid in front and rear differentials - use synthetic fluid.
Replace fluid in transfer case - use synthetic fluid.
Service transmission
Grease driveline and front suspension.

"Not a dealer its being done at a local independant shop".

Figured since the serpentine belt needed to be replaced I might as well have the timing belt done since it's past the 72 months but only has 58K miles.

Depends, are you getting the parts from cruiserdan? That'll make some difference in price right there!

I would guess $1200 or so.

I just had a shop do all new brakes/rotors/pack bearings on the LX, I gave em the parts($300-ish) they charged $240 for the labor, the had quoted $400 orignaly. The rest of the stuff I had done on my 2000 LC for $800 at the dealer.

If you pay retail for all the parts and have the dealer do the work, I'd guess the following:

-t-belt+water pump: $700-1300
-sepentine belt: $50-70?
-rad hoses: maybe $100 for the hoses alone+labor (total $150)
-toyota red coolant: say 2 gal ($35) plus labor (total $60 for drain&fill only, more like $250 for flush), but labor might be a freebie if you're getting the t-belt done since you typically need to pull the radiator and drain the block.
-repack front wheel bearings: $300-$350 (dealer price for a mini/4runner)
-front brake pads: $70? (retail parts only since labor is a freebie)
-flush brake fluid: $100-150 (it's like $75 for a honda accord at the honda dealer if you have a coupon!)
-t case fluids/diff fluids/lube d-shafts: this is the 4wd chassis service. You should be able to get a package price on it (maybe $75?)
-tranny service: not sure what you mean by this? A full flush? If so, $200?

If you buy the parts yourself, I'd say $450 ish plus ATF plus diff/t-case fluids (maybe $220 if all synthetic). Then maybe $800-1K labor. You'll have to buy the red coolant at your local Toyota dealer, since UPS won't ship it from Cdan.

Mechanic's quote is around $1800 Toyota parts and labor and synthetic fluids in the diff's and transfer case (also replacing all rubber hoses under the hood). The guy has done this work before on other Toyota LC's and Tundra's. Super clean shop and highly recommended. I figure this will give me a good base line on my new LC. Should be good for 6 more years and 90K miles for the hoses belts, and 30K miles on the fluids and wheel bearings. After this work is done I will have $24,420 in this LC ($22K for LC, $620 tires and $1800 update maintance) but it will be solid and that is $35K less then a new LC, and it will be close to new condition. With only 58K miles on this mall cruiser from Arizonia. :)

PS- Dealer did an oil/filter change and I figure I will go to Mobil 1 5w30 synthetic in 3K miles and then run 5K mile OCI's.

Last edited:
I paid $600 for Timing Belt, Serpentine Belt, and water pump all OEM Toyota parts at an independent shop.

$200 for wheel bearings repack. (That included a diagnosis fee as my truck was making a grinding noise at that point)

I did all of the differential, transfer case, and transmission fluids and brake pads myself. Found this car to be very easy to work on with respect to fluids. Being so high off the ground gave me a lot of working space.

Thanks guys, from reading all of the posts on getting all this stuff done, prices seem to be all over the place. A common one is the timing belt service, from $1500 to $600. I'm sure my guy will end up charging me a fair price and also make a profit. Based on all of the work I'm havin done $1800 sounds fair.

I went to Toyota Auto Masters in Englewood, CO
They did these things to my 98 TLC
Install new timing belt, water pump and seal kit - All Toyota parts <--399
Install new serpentine belt - Toyota part <-- 80.00

Total cost after taxes was 515.00 - All genuine toy parts. I go with Toyota Auto Masters (previously called Toy dr before their business spit) Their owner is the 2nd best toy tech in the nation according to a toyota tech survey/comp. (its all in their office).

I don't know what UT techs their are but Toy Auto Masters might have a refer a quality shop in UT for you. Call them at 303-730-7052 - They're friendly and can help you.

theRash said:
I went to Toyota Auto Masters in Englewood, CO
They did these things to my 98 TLC
Install new timing belt, water pump and seal kit - All Toyota parts <--399
Install new serpentine belt - Toyota part <-- 80.00

Total cost after taxes was 515.00 - All genuine toy parts. I go with Toyota Auto Masters (previously called Toy dr before their business spit) Their owner is the 2nd best toy tech in the nation according to a toyota tech survey/comp. (its all in their office).

I don't know what UT techs their are but Toy Auto Masters might have a refer a quality shop in UT for you. Call them at 303-730-7052 - They're friendly and can help you.

WOW that is a great price. Parts cost $515 including tax or did the parts cost you $479 and the labor and taxes brought it too $515 total cost? Either way that is the best deal I've ever heard of. Thanks for the info. I live in a town of 4K people it is a off road vehicle oriented community and this mechanic comes highly recommended. Based on what others have paid and the extra work my guy is doing (replacing all hoses under the hood) along with the above list I think his prices are inline with what most are paying.

SWUtah,

If you are going to change your oil every 5,000 mi. then don't waste your money on Mobil 1 full synthetic. The full syn is good for 10,000 mi. in your engine with a M1 oil filter. I'm using the M209 filter, which has the same specifications as stock but has a larger capacity and more filtering media.

Oil analysis on the 4.7 with full synthetic oil at 10,000 mi. shows the oil is still fine and could be used even more.

And changing the oil and diff fluids is very easy and a good experience if you are up for it.

calamaridog said:
SWUtah,

If you are going to change your oil every 5,000 mi. then don't waste your money on Mobil 1 full synthetic. The full syn is good for 10,000 mi. in your engine with a M1 oil filter. I'm using the M209 filter, which has the same specifications as stock but has a larger capacity and more filtering media.

Oil analysis on the 4.7 with full synthetic oil at 10,000 mi. shows the oil is still fine and could be used even more.

And changing the oil and diff fluids is very easy and a good experience if you are up for it.

I'm anal about oil, if it is dino it goes every 3750 miles if its synthetic it goes every 5000. I am a member of www.bobistheoilguy.com and have read the used oil analysis on the Toyota 4.7. This engine is so easy on oil that I agree you can go 10,000 miles. I would reather waste the money and change my Mobil 1 every 5000 miles. Do it myself??? How would that effect the economy? I use to rebuild MGA's, and other cars with my dad when I was young. Even did all my maintance on my old cars. Just because I know what needs to be done and how to do it does not mean I want to crawl around and get dirty, busting my knuckles. Plus I might get my tools dirty. I work on stuff only in an emergency and I try to have enough preventive maintance performed that that never happens :)

So I don't understand your logic;) How does doing the oil change yourself affect the economy in a negative way? It forces the mechanics to keep their prices honest, or more customers will do it at home:D Plus it makes me feel manly and allows me to justify the purchase of various tools and implements I would otherwise never buy:D

And throwing out perfectly good motor oil before the end of it's service life is wasteful and bad for the environment;)

Most of the people on the forum do at least some of the stuff themselves. I mean who is going to pay a mechanic to swap in the plastic cell phone holder (my favorite cheap trick)? I will also pay a mechanic to do some jobs, which may frustrate me or take longer to do than I am willing to endure:doh:

For example, I bought new aftermarket front rotors and pads, took them to the mechanic and had them installed and bearings repacked. Saved myself the frustration of doing this work in my 1 car garage. Went to work and did a day of overtime which resulted in a net gain after expenses. Sometimes, it's just not worth it to do it yourself:D

Now some of the folks here are just tackling some DIY jobs for the first time. That can be fun and exciting too. And some are old hands at this stuff but lack the desire to lay on the cold slab for hours. Nothing wrong with that either!

Now for me, I've had bad experiences with shops changing my oil and diff oil, so I just suck it up and do it myself. That is why I use high quality synthetics, so I don't have to do it often!!!

Now, to answer your original question, I believe for Toyota parts, labor, etc. and using a trusted mechanic, that your $1800 quote seems fair. Rates will vary some based upon location and mark-up but I'd say piece of mind is worth a ton of $$$.

BTW, I've been through Kanab before and it is a nice area to visit!

Well i will say go to the stealership and see if you can talk to the mechanic. lots of these mechanics work on the side. I found a guy locally and i am in heaven. I had a 2001 IS and the only reason i got me a LX470 instead of a land cruiser was the tech. He saves me whole bunch of money every time i have to get something done. I just got the 60k service done and guess how much it cost me ? 300 bux (including parts) and plus 70 bux to repalce the serpentine belt. His rule is you find out from the dealership and he cuts it in half or sometime even more.

So if you have some social skills put them to use and save your self alot of money :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom