What do you think of seat covers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What your thoughts on seat covers? I saw this site showing some breathable seat covers for the LX 570. I've heard that some vehicle have airbags on their seat so covering them up is not a good idea. I assumed a 2014 LX 570 do not have airbags on their seat, correct? My other concern is, since the LX 570 have heating and cooling, does "breathable" allow this heating/cooling to continue to work? My other option is paying for an upholstery repair service.

The 570 has seat airbags. From the link you sent, it claims "We use a special sewing technique to ensure that our seat covers are fully compatible with side airbag designs found in newer vehicles." Considering that site is almost certainly dropshipping from China or some other overseas manufacturing plant, I personally wouldn't trust them to have done proper safety-critical testing.

My vote would be for finding a good upholstery shop and repairing the OEM seats.

The 570 has seat airbags. From the link you sent, it claims "We use a special sewing technique to ensure that our seat covers are fully compatible with side airbag designs found in newer vehicles." Considering that site is almost certainly dropshipping from China or some other overseas manufacturing plant, I personally wouldn't trust them to have done proper safety-critical testing.

My vote would be for finding a good upholstery shop and repairing the OEM seats.
Thank you for the input. After posting it here, I did a few searches on Google and didn't find much good reviews on the site.

My 2013 seats are still in pretty good condition. No rips or tears. I don't use the ventilated seats a ton but I elected not to get seat covers so that I could still take advantage of them on hot sweaty summer days. Honestly I see my seat leather lasting another 5-7 good years. If at that point I need them repaired or reupholstered to Katzkins or something then I'd say I got good use out of them. It think the biggest thing with leather seats is to take good care of them and they'll last a while.

Just wanted to add that Honda put out a good demo of why you might not want to install anything that could impede airbag deployment.

What your thoughts on seat covers? I saw this site showing some breathable seat covers for the LX 570. I've heard that some vehicle have airbags on their seat so covering them up is not a good idea. I assumed a 2014 LX 570 do not have airbags on their seat, correct? My other concern is, since the LX 570 have heating and cooling, does "breathable" allow this heating/cooling to continue to work? My other option is paying for an upholstery repair service.

My grandparents had the plastic covers on the sofa and “nice chairs” which emotionally scarred me for life as a kid, lol.

They sucked and when my grandparents died—no one wanted their furniture so my parents donated it to the Catholic Church.

At that pre-pubescent moment, I vowed never to cover a seat.

My .02:

Maintain, enjoy, and wear out the nice leather seats and have them reupholstered to as good as new if necessary.

My grandparents had the plastic covers on the sofa and “nice chairs” which emotionally scarred me for life as a kid, lol.

They sucked and when my grandparents died—no one wanted their furniture so my parents donated it to the Catholic Church.

At that pre-pubescent moment, I vowed never to cover a seat.

My .02:

Maintain, enjoy, and wear out the nice leather seats and have them reupholstered to as good as new if necessary.

That and remote covers!!!

I think it rly depends on what kind of clothes you are wearing mainly.
If you wear mostly working stuff, jeans or something like I would head for covers. If not i wouldn’t if you are comfy. But depends also on the brand how durable the leather is.
Cant talk about my 200 since he has fabric seats.

I have covers on my 2014 LC from a company called CalTrend. I bought them soon after buying the truck, mainly because I am often wet and muddy when entering and exiting.

The covers I purchased are a mesh-type which are supposed to allow function of the ventilated seats. My seats don’t function all that well to begin with, as I think there’s an AC leak somewhere. But I can still feel it.

The covers also have these large, loose “flaps” (for lack of a better term) which allow for deployment of the side airbags. I had the same covers in my work truck. I ended up in an incident where the bags deployed and the covers didn’t restrict them at all.

I also got the covers because my seats were not in great shape to begin with. Not torn or anything, but very worn (I bought the truck used). I wanted something that looked a bit cleaner. And if I’m going to spend money on seats, I’ll probably wait and replace the crappy seats altogether rather than just the leather.

Does 2009 Land Cruiser have seat airbags?

Is there anyone who makes custom covers and can make something like this for LC with massagers? Ive been wanting to improve the comfort of the seat somehow. About to reupholster the cushion after 300k miles.
s-l1600.jpg

I've said it before and will say it again, covering leather seats to keep them nice is like not banging your girlfriend in order to save her for the next guy.

I do have a cover over my second row bench, but that's because I 1) have an infant riding back there, 2) put all groceries on that seat (frequent leaks), and 3) use that seat for everything from plants (landscaping) to bricks (home depot). I would never in a million years cover it up if I did not have weekly potential for significant damage. And before anyone asks, my cargo area is 80% full with a large dog crate and side drawer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom