What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (107 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Went out to Smorr with our group and spent the weekend in the passenger seat. my 14-year-old daughter did all the driving, making locked Jeeps look bad. Proud dad.
1627C43E-8D19-4029-A40E-5BF42AD48562.jpeg
79785FC6-5491-4338-BC38-4436C7D73ABF.jpeg
70F1C285-EB25-4218-A32F-B6EB18B4302A.jpeg
A05BA602-BFA8-42AF-96F8-6530C10E6CA8.jpeg
8F3FCC07-08BF-4A48-9534-74F905DD77E8.jpeg

Had to drive home but made a few stops along the way.
20180421_122729.jpg

20180419_194944.jpg

Also had a blow out on the way home from the above trip, 15 miles from the house. Glad I purchased the warranty certificates from Discount Tire. I’m honestly surprised the tires have faired this well given all the shale rock I wheel in.

View attachment 1684142
Those ko2's? interested about the additional warranty, never bought it before. Does it work out well usually vs just buying a new tire?

It's my own design. Started with a 2x4 piece of rectangle tube as the main bar and then added 3/16 bumper ends. I wanted something to follow the flare and lines of the truck and original ends, jut a bit stronger and with more clearance:)

Did you have to cut the end of the frame, like with a 4x4 Labs bumper? Did you design/sketch it, or just do it free-hand? More photos of the bumper, please! :D

Those ko2's? interested about the additional warranty, never bought it before. Does it work out well usually vs just buying a new tire?
They’re Cooper’s ST Maxx. For the warranty you pay an extra fee per tire, it was something like $30 or $40 per tire. But if you replace one tire during the life of them it pays for itself when your spending $325+ per tire. Their rules are:

“If a tire covered by the Certificate for Refund, Repair or Replacement fails due to a defect or a non repairable road hazard, and still has legal tread (3/32") remaining across the tire, and it has been in use less than 3 years from date of purchase, Discount Tire will give a refund of the full purchase price, together with the applicable sales tax and give you the option to purchase the same new or comparable tire at the refund price, with the payment of any applicable sales tax. There is no prorating, no disqualification for any reason such as run-on damage and no mileage adjustment. It is the very best tire certificate program we know of.”

https://www.discounttire.com/customer-service/certificates

Honestly I’ve been really pleased with these tires. I do a 5 tire rotation every 8 weeks or so. I purchased with 212k on the clock and now am at 256k. So 44,000 on the tires and they still have 9/32” of tread.

Did you have to cut the end of the frame, like with a 4x4 Labs bumper? Did you design/sketch it, or just do it free-hand? More photos of the bumper, please! :D
Yes, the frame is both shortened, notched and angled for improved departure angle and just more clearance. There are a few more pics in my build thread too. I will get more up as well.

They’re Cooper’s ST Maxx. For the warranty you pay an extra fee per tire, it was something like $30 or $40 per tire. But if you replace one tire during the life of them it pays for itself when your spending $325+ per tire. Their rules are:

“If a tire covered by the Certificate for Refund, Repair or Replacement fails due to a defect or a non repairable road hazard, and still has legal tread (3/32") remaining across the tire, and it has been in use less than 3 years from date of purchase, Discount Tire will give a refund of the full purchase price, together with the applicable sales tax and give you the option to purchase the same new or comparable tire at the refund price, with the payment of any applicable sales tax. There is no prorating, no disqualification for any reason such as run-on damage and no mileage adjustment. It is the very best tire certificate program we know of.”

https://www.discounttire.com/customer-service/certificates

Honestly I’ve been really pleased with these tires. I do a 5 tire rotation every 8 weeks or so. I purchased with 212k on the clock and now am at 256k. So 44,000 on the tires and they still have 9/32” of tread.
Cool, thanks for the insight. Also the review of the Coopers. The KO2'S on my truck camper are wearing a bit too fast for me to want to buy again, granted they are on a ram 2500 diesel with a camper..., and I have done 9k mile road trip west on them (the SW heat will wear out your tires), about 30k on the tires total, and probably have another 10k in them. I just don't like running worn tires on a heavy rig. My 80 will be getting the KO2's only bc nobody really sells a 33x10.5 AT other than them.

Oh yes I did...full pink panties mode now. Gold making the comeback. :flipoff2:

20180422_162045.jpg

20180422_162105.jpg

Decided it was time to fill that awkward void between my new oem sun visors without the little ears. Fills the space pretty nicely!
3A9640BF-D25B-4E49-AEFF-21E82F939512.jpeg

546269C7-BED6-4FA9-812A-1D66BDA321F0.jpeg

Of course I had to test out my new super useful overhead console and gauges. I don’t have a sub tank and the Altimeter didn’t move much, mostly because we just drove to the beach. But was a great day to be out in the 80!!
3241CEA8-E5C3-43F2-8B72-8B0642EB94C5.jpeg
1DA4ED54-7510-4865-8617-2C0A719FE110.jpeg

First attempt at trying to fit a 14" coilover under an 80 without going through the floor. Angle is a bit too extreme so I may need to rethink the mounting...

M4Phk2Th.jpg

HYcz6klh.jpg

It's that time of year ... 21yr old lawn tractor supported by my 21yr old truck. Had to find a leak in the hydrostatic drive. Think I got it fixed. Now if I could just get my 15yr old son to stop trying to wheel the mower harder than I wheel the truck.

20180421_133105[1].jpg
20180421_133123[1].jpg

It's that time of year ... 21yr old lawn tractor supported by my 21yr old truck. Had to find a leak in the hydrostatic drive. Think I got it fixed. Now if I could just get my 15yr old son to stop trying to wheel the mower harder than I wheel the truck.

View attachment 1684555 View attachment 1684559

Make sure you wear your safety sandals while working on it too!

I think someone tagged one of my mirrors in a parking lot last week and broke the inside spring etc so the mirror just flopped around and was useless. I got a used mirror from @ginericLC that he overnighted to me and I got it swapped out on Saturday. Could have bought an aftermarket one for less money but it wouldn't have been here in time for Cruise Moab. Besides Eric is awesome and had an OEM one so was happy to get one from him.

Besides swapping the mirror on Saturday I whipped out a little project. I am doing a 5 day trip ( SW Adventure 2018) with Slinky delaers and customers starting on Saturday and finishing in Moab next Wed in time for CM. I decided I didn't want to take my Tepui tent with me this time but didn't want to sleep on the ground. I got an idea for a hammock stand from a dude on IG. I've seen something similar that attaches to bumpers but I didn't want to modify bumpers. This was a cheap and super easy and seems to work well in my driveway. :) I'll use this on the 5 day trip and see how it goes. Will be my first trip sleeping only with a hammock. I used about $30 of steel I had laying around some 1.5" tube sleeved with 1.25" tube inserts, plug and end welded. I had the hammock already that I got for free from a vendor at Outdoor Retailer a couple years ago and have never used. So all in all was a easy and cheap project. What's not in the photos is a couple ratchet straps that I use to counter the tension from the weight in the hammock. Don't think they are necessary but give me some piece of mind. They attach to the posts and back to the base. Built it in pieces so it packs up easier.

IMG_2706 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_2707 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_2708 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_2705 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_2702 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

Broke in the new gears, locker, and front end rebuild taking the cruiser to prom.

It was sweet and the cruiser was pretty flawless. Only bummer of the evening was the day of prom it was super cold and muddy and I picked up my date who lives on a dirt road and first time she try’s to get in and she got mud all over the back of her dress. She’s cool though she got over it pretty quick and it was a great time. :bounce:

B6627938-FDCD-47BF-8D7B-7BA2AB2F1417.jpeg

0005477A-34EB-4FC8-BB79-A1E96191C1EA.jpeg

They’re Cooper’s ST Maxx....

Honestly I’ve been really pleased with these tires....

They are my current tires also, and I like them as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom