What color is your radiator fluid? (plus other topics) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What color is your radiator fluid?

A few random thoughts and they are not fjz specific. You can run a 180deg t-stat to drop the temps(but don't do so to cover up another problem) the part(Toyota) is for a 75 2F motor and AFIAK it fits the fzj. The temps at the head are at least 10deg higher than at the t-stat housing, so if you measure or install the sensor someplace else keep this in mind, if I recall the temp sensor is in the head at least on 2F's prolly the same on a FZJ.

I don't leave home without my Raytech non contact gun :)

Each of the three coolant temp sensors has a differently configured connector. The gauge sensor has a single wire. The ac cutoff sensor and ECU sensor each have 2 wires. I presume none of the sensors are functionally interchangeable.

Rich

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=11820;start=msg108678#msg108678 date=1077495903] I am searching for the best possible 2 inch gauge for this. Any recommendations?

D-
[/quote]

I have heard good things about Autometer gauges from lots of different people (from the import scene, to muscle car, to some guys I know that race)
the big thing is a mechanical gauge. Electric gauges are always subject to problems due to wierd grounding or resistance issues.

I have Autometer mechanical H2O, oil temp, and oil pressure gauges in my 40 and I really like them. They all work regardless of the ignition switch also.

The only problem is the mechanicals have bigger probes so they are harder to ge plumbed into the system. Also, you have to be carefull of the copper tubing that connects the probes to the gauges. They can't be pinched or broken. Not a big deal though.

[quote author=- S.A. - link=board=2;threadid=11820;start=msg108613#msg108613 date=1077480799]
I have a few questions..with simple answers. I plan on flushing/changing my radiator fluid soon.

Q1. When i go to the Toy Dealer..do i just ask for "toyota red" fluid? or is there a specific part/type # i need to ask for?
Q2. How much of the fluid do i need to get? and how much $$ is it?
Q3. I know i can use distilled water to flush the system..how many times do i have to flush (ie. how much distilled water do i need buy in gallons)?
Q4. Should I use a 'cleaner' to flush system also? if so..what type.

[glow=red,2,300]JUST FOR THE RECORD...[/glow]Junk dont be mad..but, I did do a search..and it kicked back like 20,000 responses/topics! ???

If anyone gets upset that i am asking these questions...AGAIN....please see my avatar and 'think happy thoughts' :D

later..
JOE
[/quote]

Here is an old SOR post by Beo that should help:

http://www.landcruisin.com/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=000220;p=1

Re:What color is your radiator fluid?

Ryan,
It was also reposted to the 80/100 section here
-B-

[quote author=Rich link=board=2;threadid=11820;start=msg108616#msg108616 date=1077481150]
Last fall I removed the coolant temp sensor, placed it in a pot of water on the stovetop, and measured the change in resistence as the water heated up. The chart below shows that the curve flattens out around 200 degrees. The shape of the curve is typical for a thermistor. This shows why the gauge parks in the middle at higher temps. When I get the ambition I will repeat the test using oil and a high temp lab thermometer so I can heat the sensor beyond 212 degrees.

With the incomplete data one question that remains is what is the mechanism for pegging the gauge during overheat. It is possible that curve changes shapes at very hot temps, beyond what I could achieve in a water bath.

The only other observation I have is that my gauge was still in the middle when the coolant overtemp ac cutoff kicked in, which is supposed to occur at 226 F.
[/quote]

If this is temp sensor that goes to the ECU then it looks like your temp sensor is out of spec according to my 94 manual as they indicate at 212 you should be at 100 ohms where you are at that point much earlier. Given the diagram is logarithmic on the resistance scale it does show more change in the upper temp ranges than you measured. A lot of the temp sensors are wax based and do deteriorate over time.

The sensor for the dash gauge only list resistance values between terminals on the gauge and only a light bulb test for the sender.

The AC cutoff sensor is really a switch that is on at 226 degrees and off at 217 degrees.

Phil, my R/T chart is for the coolant temp sensor that drives the dashboard coolant temp gauge. As far as I know my gauge behaves the same as all other FZJ80s. I believe that my sensor and gauge are performing as Toyota intended, but not to my satisfaction.

Once I get around to buying a higher temp lab thermometer and repeating my measurements from 200 - 250 or so then I will have the info necessary to begin the next step, which is to source a different sensor that will be compatible with the gauge but give a response at higher temps that will be more useful.

Rich,

I kind of thought you were dealing with the gauge sensor only. I'd be very interested in your results. I was thinking after I posted that it might be possible to switch the two sensors to see what happens.

CruiserDan, can you confirm there are two different part numbers?

Well the dealer has had the truck for 5 days now, and so I finally call them for an update. The service advisor that I needed to speak with had already left, but here is what the sales person told me: oil was leaking due to the "rear main seal". What is the rear main seal and is this a big deal??? Anything else that should be checked out that could have caused this ???

Thanks.

Gunna,

You hoping to get your thread back? :D Dream on. I'm loving where this is going and interested in hearing if there are 2 P/N's for these sensors - Dan? Great stuff.

DougM

Gunna,
I can't see where a rear main seal leak would cause contamination of the antifreeze. the rear main seal leak is actually kind of common but usually not a big deal unless its gushing oil. most are just soem minor seepage.
Dave

the rear main seal is a seal around the crankshaft where it exits the block, it keeps the engine oil in the engine, the crankshaft rotates in this seal it wears out over time, nothing would have caused it to wear out besides normal use, to replace this seal you have to remove the transmission, there is also a pan arch seal in this area it would require removal of both oil pans, it is easy to confuse which is leaking, if you do not have confidence in your mechanic you may want to have them ensure before hand witch it is that is leaking

if you are not loosing a considerable amount of oil I would leave them be, especially if you are paying for dealer labor,

there have been many better thread about the rear main and pan arch seals, try a search

[quote author=IdahoDoug link=board=2;threadid=11820;start=msg110437#msg110437 date=1077751871]
Gunna,

You hoping to get your thread back? :D Dream on. I'm loving where this is going and interested in hearing if there are 2 P/N's for these sensors - Dan? Great stuff.

DougM
[/quote]

I have been reading this thread with great interest as well, I hope someone comes up with a bolt on solution to make the factory gage work properly :cheers:

[quote author=BigGunna link=board=2;threadid=11820;start=msg110421#msg110421 date=1077750555]
Well the dealer has had the truck for 5 days now, and so I finally call them for an update. The service advisor that I needed to speak with had already left, but here is what the sales person told me: oil was leaking due to the "rear main seal". What is the rear main seal and is this a big deal??? Anything else that should be checked out that could have caused this ???

Thanks.
[/quote]

Well it certainly shouldn't take 5 days to determine that. I stand by my other comments earlier in this post. If the leak, where ever it is located, is large enough to drop the oil level two quarts over a short period of time you have a serious problem and oil would be all over the undercarriage and puddles on the ground. There may be a small leak, but this appears to be improperly maintained by the previous owner and the dealer has not done a proper job of preping the vehicle for sale. They are not providing the timely service you need. Run Forrest run!!!!

The rear main seal is the seal around the crankshaft as it exits the block. To fix this is a major repair requiring the transmission to be dropped. Use the search function to look for more information on rear main seal or leaking oil pan. All of this has been discused repetively in that last three months. Bottom line is that this failure is rare and there have been a number of incorrect diagnoses of rear main seal when it actually was the oil pan and/or arch seal that was leaking. Still not a simple repair but not as major as the rear main seal. If you can't return this vehicle, get an estimate and then take it to another dealer or mechanic for a second opinion and estimate.

Dealership just called and told me my truck is ready! :D
They said they fixed the rear main seal, plus they replaced all the brakes (not sure if it was rotors or just the pads yet). This is all on their dime, so I'm satisfied thus far.

I've got one more question (for now) 8)...
The truck has front/rear diff lockers. When I turn the diff knob to engage the rear locker, the rear diff light just blinks, center diff light is solid. When I turn the knob to front/rear lock, the front diff light is solid, center diff light is solid, but the rear diff light still blinks. Does this mean the rear locker is not engaging?

Thanks again!

question....I was gonna change my coolant today and flush the system and all that..... my friend thats been a mechanic for years said to use the green coolant...that the red stuff breaks down easier...so should I just use Prestone or go with the toyota coolant??

BigGunna sometimes the lockers are slow especially if the PO did not use them, try getting on a large dirt area and driving in a slight arc for a wile and see if it will engage

if you cannot get it to engage it may need to be disassembled and cleaned

combatchuck66, your friend is probably thinking of GM DexCool (orange) which has a well know history of problems under certain conditions especially mid 90's S-10 blazers, DexCool uses a very different chemistry from normal coolant, the Toyota red is more standard in comparison, I have not found anyone who dislikes the Toyota red so I used in in my LC, if it has red in there or a mix of red and green I would keep going with red, if it is green you many want to stay with green or throughly flush before switching

I took delivery of the truck today and tried out the lockers again. Same thing - rear diff lock light blinks, front diff light stays on. Is this normal?

Also, I soaked some radiator fluid on a paper towel and took a pic. Is this what everyone elses looks like?
coolant%20pic.jpg

And here's a pic of the ride... :flipoff2:
BigGunna%20LX450%20001.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom