What color is your radiator fluid? (plus other topics) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Re:What color is your radiator fluid?

BigGunna,

>> Same thing - rear diff lock light blinks, front diff light stays on. Is this normal? <<

No. Reread raventai's advice. Do a search to find out how to test the factory diff locks. Let me know if you can't find it and I'll post a link to the archived thread.

Pics of a stock 80? :rolleyes:

-B-

What color is your radiator fluid?

[quote author=BigGunna link=board=2;threadid=11820;start=msg111033#msg111033 date=1077818854]
Dealership just called and told me my truck is ready! :D
They said they fixed the rear main seal, plus they replaced all the brakes (not sure if it was rotors or just the pads yet). This is all on their dime, so I'm satisfied thus far.
[/quote]

hmm.. Fixed??? There's no way to fix a rear main seal, you have to replace it. If they replaced it without you taking them to court or demanding your money back, then they deserve dealer of the year. I think that's about a 1200 dollar bill worth of parts and labor, not including the $10 metallic pads they put on. Sorry if I'm being a little cynical, but most dealers I've come across wouldn't do this, and I'm not saying you sound nieve.

Anyways, if you want to check it out for yourself and see if it's leaking, take a look at the arear where the transmission connects to the upper oil pan and engine block (about 4" aft of the lower oil pan). On the bottom side of this seam, there is a small rectangular hole. If your rear main or retainer arch seal is leaking, oil will run out of this hole and along the seam.

Good Luck,
Rookie2

Rookie2:
Sorry for the non-techical terms... I'm still learning! I guess the dealer replaced the seal. I don't have a service ticket as the sales department took care of everything for me, but I will speak with service tomorrow to get the details. They had the truck for 5 days, so I'm assuming they did spend quite some time on it.

Beowulf/Raventai:
I drove around with the diff locked for a several minutes and never got the rear diff light to stop blinking. Couldn't find the post you mentioned... can you link it for me?

And yes, the LX is stock... and I like it anyways!

Thanks.

BigGunna,

Here is a post on testing the factory lockers, and this post will give you more information on how the lockers work with pictures.

Glad you like your stock truck.

-B-

Nice pic of the truck - all hail 6M1. Try again on the pic of the rag and may I suggest that you only soak one area of it so we have contrast. And, ah get the camera to actually focus on it, eh?

Heh,

DougM

[quote author=BigGunna link=board=2;threadid=11820;start=msg111347#msg111347 date=1077848156]
I took delivery of the truck today and tried out the lockers again. Same thing - rear diff lock light blinks, front diff light stays on. Is this normal?[/quote]

take a look at the links Beowulf posted good stuff (BTW Beo are you into Beowulf clusters? Linux? or is there another reference for that phrase?) my rear was slow to engage at first with exercise it is getting better, I still may disassemble and re-grease it per this Slee article if there is a problem with water in there it would be expensive to fix later after the rot sets in

Also, I soaked some radiator fluid on a paper towel and took a pic. Is this what everyone elses looks like?

mine looked the same, it was a disgusting mix if old red and new green see my earlier post in this thread and the many better posts on this forum

And here's a pic of the ride... :flipoff2:

that also looks just like mine stock black LX450 also looks like a GA winter tree's behind it just like mine :flipoff2:

I looked at one here in the ATL that was being sold by a fellow in investing almost bought it but we could not agree on price, is that the one? It has a oil leak just like the one I did buy

>> BTW Beo are you into Beowulf clusters? Linux? <<
>> or is there another reference for that phrase?) <<

All of the above, but the nym was pre-Beowulf clusters. Didn't you read Beowulf in high school? If you didn't then this might explain why you would want to read it now.

Enjoy! :D

-B-

Beowulf:
I did figure 8's and 0's for several minutes this morning and could not get the rear diff to lock. I did learn a lot through reading the links - thank you.

Raventai:
I purchased the truck through a local dealer near DC - the original owners also lived locally, so I doubt we're talking about the same truck.

The dealership is mailing me the service records... they did replace the rear main seal. I will also be getting the radiator flushed as per everyone's recommendation.

Tomorrow morning, I have an appointment with a mechanic at the dealership who "specializes" in the LX. He says he'll spend as much time as needed to see if there are any problems with the rear diff... so I'll post an update tomorrow.

Just a thought,

How fast were you traveling? You need to be under 5mph or they are inhibited from locking. If you were it sounds like it's time to tear into it.

D-

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=11820;start=msg111763#msg111763 date=1077910544]
Just a thought,

How fast were you traveling? You need to be under 5mph or they are inhibited from locking. If you were it sounds like it's time to tear into it.

D-
[/quote]

Yes, I was driving less than 5 mph when testing.

>> I did learn a lot through reading the links - thank you. <<

Well, tell us what is going on based on the specifics of the testing. You have to let us more about the testing than "you did figure 8's."

-B-

I might also add.... don't let him tear into diff to fix this.

It's most likely the locker assembly that bolts onto the diff housing (but you know this from the slee writeup).

This is probably what you meant but just want to be sure.

Riley

B - what's a Beo-linux cluster?

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=2;threadid=11820;start=msg111791#msg111791 date=1077914337]
Well, tell us what is going on based on the specifics of the testing.
-B-
[/quote]

Here are the details…

I went to a local park that has a gravel/dirt parking area. I came to a complete stop and put the transmission in neutral (N). I moved the transfer shifter to Lo, put the auto in L (first gear), and drove in circles several times before coming to a stop again. During this period, the center diff light initially blinked for a few seconds but then became solid. I could feel the additional grip provided with 4 Lo, and even felt some skidding of the rear tires as I was doing tight circles.

On the next attempt, I put the auto in N, moved the locker knob to Rear (the shifter was already in Lo), put the auto in L, and began doing tight circles again. The rear diff light blinked and never became solid. I could not distinguish any difference in feel or grip when the rear locker was engaged and when it was not.

I did roll down the windows but could not hear the electric motor for the diffs, as was stated in one of the links. However, the area was not completely quiet at the time of my test, so it is possible that at another time I could have heard it.

[quote author=IdahoDoug link=board=2;threadid=11820;start=msg111554#msg111554 date=1077866037]
Try again on the pic of the rag and may I suggest that you only soak one area of it so we have contrast.
[/quote]

The brownish towel is soaked in the radiator fluid. The white background you see in the pic is actually the same color and type towel, and is what I used for contrast. Sorry about the focus... camera doesn't do close up's really well with the stock lense, but you can tell the color.

BigGunna,

>> I did roll down the windows but could not hear the electric motor for the diffs, <<

If you were attempting to fix the diff locking yourself, you would need to determine if the problem was electrical or mechanical. That's the purpose of the rolled down window and being able to hear the locking mechanism attempting to engage.

Riley,

A Beowulf cluster is described here. It's probably more than you wanted to know so the condensed version is that it is a low-cost computing environment using readily available and inexpensive consumer HW. Beowulf clusters are used in parallel processing systems and can approach the capabilities of some very heavy duty high dollar systems like Crays.

-B-

[quote author=BigGunna link=board=2;threadid=11820;start=msg111817#msg111817 date=1077916406]
Here are the details…

I went to a local park that has a gravel/dirt parking area. I came to a complete stop and put the transmission in neutral (N). I moved the transfer shifter to Lo, put the auto in L (first gear), and drove in circles several times before coming to a stop again. During this period, the center diff light initially blinked for a few seconds but then became solid. I could feel the additional grip provided with 4 Lo, and even felt some skidding of the rear tires as I was doing tight circles.

[/quote]

To me this sounds like rear locked and the indicator switch is not working properly. If you speak to the mechanic give him the same description of "skidding", without telling him how to fix it. It he asks, mention that someone on this list suggested the indicator switch. You may find with repeated operation of all the locks they may get "fixed". Usually the center locks almost instantaneously in a well used cruiser.

Question:

If you're in 4 Lo, does it even matter what gear you set the shift lever in? I.e, &#039:D', '2' or '1 (lo)'. Thought I'd ask before I d!ck something up good.

Thanks,
Rookie2

If your asking is relation to the lockers functioning no. You can use reverse if you want but the ring and pinion is weaker in that case locked or not and can break. If you add the CDL switch you can lock in any gear in high range. The biggest risk of damage is locking on high traction surfaces like pavement. Don't go test them in the parking lot.

Took the LX to the dealership this morning. Had the mechanic drive the truck and he could not get the rear locker to engage either. One thing I did notice today was the sound of the electric motor when engaging the diffs. Here is when I heard the electric motor and when I did not:

OFF ---> RR (no sound) blinking rear diff light, no front diff light
OFF ---> FR-RR (sound) blinking rear diff light, solid front diff light
RR ---> FR-RR (sound) blinking rear diff light, solid front diff light
FR-RR ---> RR (sound) blinking rear diff light, no front diff light

The mechanic wasn't sure what the problem is. He said it will take him several days to look it over because he hasn't worked on the 4 wheel drive system on this generation LX for several years and needs to do some research. So my truck is back at the shop for now.

BigGunna,

>> One thing I did notice today was the sound of the electric motor when engaging the diffs. <<

Understand that there are 3 electric motors. One for the center diff, one for the rear diff, and one for the front diff. Since you couldn't hear the rear motor running it sounds like you have an electrical problem with the rear diff actuator. If this is being covered under a warranty then you can let the dealer mechanic fix it. If it's coming out of your pocket and they want it for several days since "he's not sure what the problem is...", then I would go get the truck and attempt to fix it myself.

-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom