What can I do to increase GAS mileage. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MDH33 said:
After a recent tune-up, Jim C. carb rebuild and replacing lots of smog equipment and vacuum tubes I'm getting about 17 MPG average running 31's, everything else stock. Not great, but it proves that 60's can do better than 10mpg.
:cheers:

Not great? I get 13 and thought I was doing pretty well, guess I should give some serious thought to a complete tune-up. Getting another 4mpg would pay for the parts pretty quickly.

Ditto

I'm going through the same problem, just got my 84 cruiser home. Paid $1500 and drove it 300 miles home. Trying to find ways to increase mpg as I used a full tank to make it home. (although I suspect that if I hadn't driven it with my foot on the floor for 300 miles it might have done better).

300 miles on a full tank is really good. I wouldn't look any further!

I think I am getting around 10 mpg. I got 173 miles out of my last tank. Why would bigger narrower tires help the situation and how big do I need to go exactly. I run 31 bfg all terrains right now. Is there really anything else I can do except tune ups. WIll a header help a bit?

Walk, bike or live with it. I get 13-15 with 33 and a vortec. It is not a gas miser.

I was beginign to wonder if we scared you off dabruin15. Header wont really help. The tires is to give you a rubber overdrive and stay skinny to decrease resistance.
33x9.5

33x9.5 will help mileage a teensy bit more than 33x10.5. But not much.

Correct air pressure will help.

Using a milder tire vs. a mudder MIGHT help.

Has anyone on here messed with the ignition timing to squeeze a little more out of these motors? Factory timing is notoriously off and often not optimal for power, has anyone had luck advancing/retarding ignition timing or even cam timing?

Matt

dabruin15 said:
I think I am getting around 10 mpg. I got 173 miles out of my last tank. Why would bigger narrower tires help the situation and how big do I need to go exactly. I run 31 bfg all terrains right now. Is there really anything else I can do except tune ups. WIll a header help a bit?

You are getting less than 10 miles to the gallon if 23.8 gallons got you 173 miles!!!! As long as you really used lets say 20 gallons, that would get you 200 miles going on 10 miles to the gallon. Lets recalcalculate. :doh:

BTW, my 6er gets 21 mpg highway AVERAGING 75 mph. WHAHOO!!!

I just topped off today after driving 216 highway miles, and I only put 11.8 gallons, which gives me a 17.94mpg average. I routinely get 17mpg on the highway. I run a 5 speed with 31" tires, aired to 40psi, with all season style tread. I've also got fresh engine, with all systems working as designed, in including new OEM carb, air pump, and distributor. I try to keep my rpms around at my engine's sweet spot (2500rpm), and it gives me a road speed of about 65mph, which I'm content with. When I try to keep up with traffic, my mileage tends to drop off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom