What Blind Spot? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Threads
I constantly see people posting how bad the FJ's blind spots are... however... I do not notice a blind spot AT ALL and kind of bothers me when people complain about it.I was always taught if you adjust your mirrors CORRECTLY (not able to see your vehicle in the mirrors), you won't have a blind spot.. which I find to be true.Anyone else feel this way or am I the only one.

Hey, thanks for sharing this issue on your first post. Welcome to ih8mud :flipoff2:

Yes, there are many who feel the same, many who can't learn to deal with it. It is what it is, if people don't like it, they should buy another vehicle...

It is the people who never learned how to drive properly with their mirrors are the ones that complain.

Try driving a semi or a Corvette.
Those have blind spots.
I see none with my FJ.

Yep, it's been a no-brainer to me to watch a car dissapear to one side from the rear view morror and adjust the side view mirror to pick it up from there.

Last edited:
The blind spot that I'm always worried about when my sister or nieces need to borrow my vehicle is the A-pillers. I'm used to peeking around them, even though I've lost a pedestrian in them more than once. I always remind them about it when I give them the keys.

I'm not complaining, I love the thick meaty A-pillers but not something most drivers think about.

I constantly see people posting how bad the FJ's blind spots are... however... I do not notice a blind spot AT ALL and kind of bothers me when people complain about it.I was always taught if you adjust your mirrors CORRECTLY (not able to see your vehicle in the mirrors), you won't have a blind spot.. which I find to be true.Anyone else feel this way or am I the only one.

Agreed.

Wife had a magnum at one point, now that thing has serious blind spots, the cruiser has none in comparison.

I put square convex mirrors on the inside top corners of both mirrors with the convex part facing out. I've been driving big trucks for over 20 years but even my wifey says there are no blind spots with them. Don't even have to look over my shoulder and the regular part of the mirror is still close to the sides for backing into parking areas!

Yeah I have square convex mirrors too so I can see all around me.

How about some pictures of your mirrors.

It is the people who never learned how to drive properly with their mirrors are the ones that complain.

The rear visibility isn't a problem for me, but the front A-pillars and mirrors are. When driving through a parking lot with pedestrians, I probably look like a strutting goose with how much I have to move my head around to watch for pedestrians. I'm hoping to get a camera hooked up on the front soon to make things easier (well, it's mainly for rock-spotting/trail use, but I'm sure it'll be fine for people-spotting too). Of course, the fact that I'm short is a big part of the problem...

There are obvious blind spots but I knew that before getting the FJ and I just have to drive accordingly. No big deal.

The only 'blind spots' that I have issues with is the D pillars while trying to pull out into traffic when the roads don't meet perpendicularly. That being said I encounter one intersection like this on a weekly basis, so I just avoid it. That's my only complaint really.

D pillars?

The only 'blind spots' that I have issues with is the D pillars while trying to pull out into traffic when the roads don't meet perpendicularly. That being said I encounter one intersection like this on a weekly basis, so I just avoid it. That's my only complaint really.

Pardon my ignorance but where is the "D " pillar on an FJ cruiser? All i know is A,B and C pillars.:confused:

... C PILLAR is what I was trying to talk about...

I assume you are talking about the passenger side C pillar, if so this is the same as driving a semi-truck, panel wagon or windowless van, it's all about driving approach. Make sure when you come into those type of intersections that you cheat left a little and then point the vehicle back to the right so that you are as close to perpendicular to the intersecting road as possible.

There are a couple of exit ramps in my area where they have a left turn area at the stop sign (not light) with a concrete raised curb triangle between it and the straight/right turn area but if you use that it puts you at that bad angle to see traffic coming from the right so I don't use it, I stay to the right of the curb. It freaks the drivers out that come off the ramp behind me and use the left "lane", but I still give my left turn signal and watch them on my left to make sure they don't go ahead and go even though no one ever has but some give me a strange look. Also if someone came off the ramp in front of me and uses the left "lane", I make sure to stay back from the intersection plenty so as not to block their view out their right side and then I'll pull up to the normal distance when it's my turn to make the left turn.

I've attached an image showing one such intersection in case I didn't explain it very well.

LeftTurnTriangle.jpg

Last edited:
I'm on my 2nd FJ, the blind spots have made me a better driver.

I have no problem in my FJ, I agree if mirrors are adjusted correctly then you can see just fine. My wife who is short drives she complains about no being able to see "over" the mirrors and front pillars.
I mounted my backup camera right above my third brake light so backing up is no longer done by cranking my head backwards but by watching the Pioneer in dash head unit and glancing in the mirrors. I find this MUCH better launching my 17.7" boat than it was in my S10 ZR2 trying to look backwards.

Blind spot is not that bad.... with that being said ive only hit one car while backing up…. And it wasnt because I didnt see the car..... I knew it was there. But just wasnt paying attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom