What are these parts...round 2 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all....I am finishing up a resto on a '77 40. I have these three parts-all look familiar but can't figure out where the heck they go. I have scoured SOR books but I apparantley keep missing it-figured this would be easier-anyhow here they are from left to right (1) (2) (3)....thanks a bunch!

Last edited:
The one on the left looks like teh bracket that goes from the air cleaner to the block on the passenger side of the engine compartment.

The one on the right looks like part of the jack mount. Goes under the drivers seat.

The middle one, looks like something that might mount to the inner fender or battery tray area. Mount for the fuel filter???

The small one in the upper left, no clue.

Last edited:
The one in the upper left looks a lot like the hose hold down clip for the hoses that run to the rear heater.

left most piece holds the air cleaner snorkle to the fender. middle appears to be the coil bracket from the PS fender, but normally these are welded to the fender. right most is the jack holding bracket that goes under the seat on your year cruiser.

The middle one might be the holder for the washer bottle, I think it lives on the left fender near the voltage reg.

edit-not sure looking again.

The middle one I think holds igniter/coil to right fender. (80-84), but not sure.

Yep, the center one holds the coil/igniter. Don't know how you're running without it, since it is welded to the fender, and the coil grounds thru it.

Yep, the center one holds the coil/igniter. Don't know how you're running without it, since it is welded to the fender, and the coil grounds thru it.

The coil is only grounded by the distributor. The case contact with sheet metal is not relevant to its function.

Au Contraire my pin headed friend! I've had a many of these off...won't run! Dunno the exact why or what, but definitely had to be mounted to work on mid 70 to 83. Haven't studied the wiring diagram, but there's somethin there!

First ,I don't think I want to challange pin_head when it comes to wiring.
Last year when changed from the conv points to FT Toy distributor in my 2f, I had to mount the igniter/coil to the fire wall and it wouldn't run till I ran a wire straight from the batt - to one of the coil mounting bolts. It is still working fine.
Vic

in my 76 the middle one is definately what holds the coil/ignitor to the PS fender.. i have HEI though so it is just sitting there... also the PO installed fiberglass fenders so he probably just drilled it out and bolted it to the fiberglass... same in your case maybe...

I stand by my statement.

There is no electric connection to the case and if there is a circuit between any of the coil connections and the case it is shorted or burned out. Ignitors need to be grounded.

Thanks a bunch.. after you all tagged it I stuck my fat head in the fender and tada- a new one was welded onto the replacement fender..guess this on can be used to hold up some books--or all the other parts flaoting through my garage right now!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom