what are these chunks of metal for in my oil pan? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I pulled the oil pan and found plenty of aluminum. I hope the price for scrap metal is still up. Anyway ,does any one know the cheapest place to buy pistons and rings? It is only one piston that is shot. Should I replace just the one bad one now or do all new? I will double check but it looks like somehow the walls are not scratched. Any one in Virginia have any parts they are looking to sell?

Last edited:
Grab one of the pieces and hit it with a propane torch. If it melts right away and bubbles its not aluminum, its lead (aka bearings).

I had almost identical pieces and I'm 95% sure it was from a cam bearing disintegrating. I've been driving mine for 6000 miles since then (!!!). Its on my to-do list...

Yeah, that's gotta be bearing material. If you are lucky, it will be from rod bearings which can be replaced without tearing the motor apart. I had a few fine shavings, looking like 1 cm (or less) long hairs, mabye a dozen of them. If I had seen what you saw, I would have shat my drawers.

I think it is the piston. I can look up through the motor and through the center of the piston and see the valves. The good news is the valves look clean. Oh well.

I'm guessing that he can see obvious damage to that "one" piston.....

Edit: Damn, he was typing at the same time....

I think it is the piston. I can look up through the motor and through the center of the piston and see the valves. The good news is the valves look clean. Oh well.

Thats generally a good clue.

I think its the piston. You're welcome. :grinpimp:

I see chunks of aluminum... surely no one thinks bearings are that thick?

Mark...

If I had seen what you saw, I would have shat my drawers.

x 2, then I would have put a clean pair on shat them also. Thats great that the cylinder wall seems to have came out unscaved though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom