What are folks doing for dashcams? Wiring, models, LTE, etc (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just installed a Viofo a129 half-a-duo (lol the rear camera wire wasn't long enough.

It runs off a fuse tap which powers a blackvue 124x battery which gives the camera enough juice for around 20 hours give or take. I was going to put that battery in the glove box, but underneath the passenger seat in front of the vents fits well & because I don't have rear passengers that need the footspace, I'm content with it being there.

Install was quite easy for the front, but I broke virtually every clip on the passenger side panel for the tailgate - which turned out to be a waste of time because I ran out of wire.

Ahh well. You win some, you lose some.

The camera and the battery are from 2020 in my old Mitsubishi Triton ute, then I transplanted it to my HSV Clubsport (Pontiac G8 but better for the Americans) and its been out of use since I sold that car back in 2021.

The plus side of Viofo is that they have an external button that I've mounted above the AC Temp buttons for easy footage saving.

FYI, Viofo might be sending me an a229 Pro Trio to test so can update everyone on that too :)

1000006133.jpg
1000006132.jpg
1000006125.jpg
1000006123.jpg

Install was quite easy for the front, but I broke virtually every clip on the passenger side panel for the tailgate - which turned out to be a waste of time because I ran out of wire.

Hrmm, are you running the rear cam wire back down the pillars and along the floor?

I ran it along the headliner and there was plenty of wire and then some using that method.

My run from the pax fuse panel along the floor (kick plates, behind the pax third row main interior plastic trim piece, up the D pillar through headliner, into the rear hatch) needed more than the 20-25' that came with the BLaCkvIeW camera. I had to get the 40' longer cable thankfully prior to running the entire thing and finding it lacking. If I was smarter, I would have taken pics and measured the approximate needed length. Instead, I have a coil of several feet tucked near where factory jack is located.

I didn't trust the headliner running method as I didn't trust myself to run/secure wiring without seeing exactly where it was run. I had to redo several initial selected paths due to cables, harnesses, clips, heater lines, etc.

Hrmm, are you running the rear cam wire back down the pillars and along the floor?

I ran it along the headliner and there was plenty of wire and then some using that method.
Ahh, that might be the better way indeed.

I didn't trust the headliner running method as I didn't trust myself to run/secure wiring without seeing exactly where it was run.
I think I agree with this. Viofo have a 10 metre cable - it comes with a 6 metre cable so 4 extra metres should do the trick.

Now I've got to figure out where to get the trim for the rear tailgate. Or I just leave it slightly loose. Haha

Ahh, that might be the better way indeed.

I think I agree with this. Viofo have a 10 metre cable - it comes with a 6 metre cable so 4 extra metres should do the trick.

Now I've got to figure out where to get the trim for the rear tailgate. Or I just leave it slightly loose. Haha
If you pop off the top trim piece of the split tailgate, you could always mark where you want to feed the cable, then drill a hole. I did this, but used a rubber hole grommet to avoid any nasty rubbing from the trim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom