Went on a long drive last weekend... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ns275

"Whammy!"
Threads
Hello all,
I went for a ride on a forest road near where I live and ended up staying out for about 5 hours. It was all slow driving and very rarely exceeded 20 mph the whole way. At the end of the ride after getting back on highway, and then making it back to town, there seemed to be some hesitation accelerating from a stop. There were no check engine lights, or any seemingly apparent issues upon visual inspection after getting home under the hood or under the vehicle. I plan to drive it again in the next couple days but won’t have time till the weekend and want to see if I can figure out if this is symptomatic of something I can maintenance before then.

Any thoughts or ideas as to what maybe I could/should check to begin with would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

How many miles on your truck and what year is it?

First thing that occurs to me is that a slow bumpy ride might have stirred up some debris in the fuel tank. If the "sock" in the tank or the fuel filter under the intake manifold were getting marginal, that might be the cause of this sort of symptom. These components seem to have rather long lives in comparison tosimilar components in other vehicle's systems, so may have a couple of hundred thousands miles on them before they get to this point. I might wonder that there are no codes, however, but maybe there are and just no Check Engine light for some reason?

It’s a 96, fzj80 with 242,000 miles on her.

I replaced the inline fuel filter 8k ago and replaced the filter sock in the fuel tank about 2k miles ago.

The entire cooling system and associated parts were replaced two years ago, 15k, as well as all rubber hoses and starter, alternator, battery, power steering, and such high wear items.
One thing I did notice after I got back home was that after doing a fluids baseline on the vehicle a couple weeks ago that when I checked the engine oil level, it seemed to have burned a little more oil than normal in that amount of time. I may be wrong but I then checked radiator fluid/reservoir level and color and concluded that I do not believe I have cause for concern over the head gasket. One theory I am pondering, and please correct me if I’m wrong is, could there have been just more oil buildup in the intake manifold from the PCV valve since it was low mph driving and thus lower draw for air through the intake?

(was just thinking on this now at work and will have to pull the hose when I get home to see)

Am I way off here? Would an oil catch can maybe help? Any thoughts on the matter are appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom