Welcome to Veterans' Highway! (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey all,

Active Duty Navy here, coming up on 22yrs. Stationed in Hawaii for most of my career, but planning to retire to Maine at around 26yrs (4 more years!). Figured it was time to buy something that could get me around the logging roads back home when I do get back.

I'm not an aviation rate per se, but my flight hours say otherwise and having spent most of my career on P-3s and EP-3s, an older Cruiser was like coming home: low-tech, high maintenance, and yet consistently reliable. Doesn't hurt that my family digs it because it reminds them of the used beasties we used to have being stationed in Japan.

If any of you retired folks have tips on things to do pre-retirement, I'm all ears, especially since I've got a few years to get my affairs in order.

Oh, and for the record my dad (Army MI) was the one who got me into Toyotas young (my first car was an 85 Toyota Van), and 4Runners later in life. So I guess the Landcruiser is just another family legacy.

-Jack

Hey all,

Active Duty Navy here, coming up on 22yrs. Stationed in Hawaii for most of my career, but planning to retire to Maine at around 26yrs (4 more years!). Figured it was time to buy something that could get me around the logging roads back home when I do get back.

I'm not an aviation rate per se, but my flight hours say otherwise and having spent most of my career on P-3s and EP-3s, an older Cruiser was like coming home: low-tech, high maintenance, and yet consistently reliable. Doesn't hurt that my family digs it because it reminds them of the used beasties we used to have being stationed in Japan.

If any of you retired folks have tips on things to do pre-retirement, I'm all ears, especially since I've got a few years to get my affairs in order.

Oh, and for the record my dad (Army MI) was the one who got me into Toyotas young (my first car was an 85 Toyota Van), and 4Runners later in life. So I guess the Landcruiser is just another family legacy.

-Jack
Jack,

Make sure all of your medical records are in order. As a former pilot, we disclosed as little as possible to the flight docs, which later meant there was nothing there for the VA to use to support a disability claim. Now is the time to start fessing up on the tinnitus and back pain and whatever else.

Jack,

Make sure all of your medical records are in order. As a former pilot, we disclosed as little as possible to the flight docs, which later meant there was nothing there for the VA to use to support a disability claim. Now is the time to start fessing up on the tinnitus and back pain and whatever else.
no kidding! and make sure you keep every single bit of your flight records! Mine got round filed by an irate ex. Therefore I have no proof stating flight hour accomplishments except awards.

@ladywolf @Bisho ,

Thanks for the tips! They clipped my wings and sent me to shore duty last year, and I've been going to Doc about every little thing since. Hilariously, none of it would have been a downer, and I was just suffering in silence for no reason. I have my flight jacket and log books standing by in case they need a flying CTICS again (it could happen, maybe?), so keeping records is easy enough.

I may be the newest FNG here. Creeped here from time to time, decided to get another Land Cruiser and decided to join. I’m Andy. Spent 2008-2012 in the Marines, Afghanistan 2010, managed to get myself messed up, which kinda ruined my chances of and my personal feelings about re-enlisting. Spent 9 years post service working mostly as a heavy equipment mechanic, trying to now work my way into a new career via school with a TBI. It’s a huge struggle honestly, but I’m making the most of it.
I’m big into the outdoors. Built a jon boat into a jon yacht, spend whatever time I can outdoors hunting and fishing, most of the time with my Drahthaar, Clyde. He just passed his puppy aptitude test with a good enough score to go to the invitational, so he takes up a lot of my time.

9210774C-993E-4D65-9DB0-BBEAAE26BA75.jpeg

I may be the newest FNG here. Creeped here from time to time, decided to get another Land Cruiser and decided to join. I’m Andy. Spent 2008-2012 in the Marines, Afghanistan 2010, managed to get myself messed up, which kinda ruined my chances of and my personal feelings about re-enlisting. Spent 9 years post service working mostly as a heavy equipment mechanic, trying to now work my way into a new career via school with a TBI. It’s a huge struggle honestly, but I’m making the most of it.
I’m big into the outdoors. Built a jon boat into a jon yacht, spend whatever time I can outdoors hunting and fishing, most of the time with my Drahthaar, Clyde. He just passed his puppy aptitude test with a good enough score to go to the invitational, so he takes up a lot of my time.

View attachment 3291753
Welcome.

View attachment 3291753
Welcome!

Drahthaar and a TLC…Perfect combo.

View attachment 3291753
Gorgeous pup! Welcome!

trying to now work my way into a new career via school with a TBI. It’s a huge struggle honestly

Welcome. I came back from Iraq with a TBI, it takes repetition to learn. It can be very frustrating, I decided not to go to school because of it. I’m glad to hear you’re making it.

Thanks!

That's the ridgeline between the Shuryak and Korengal valleys of Kunar Province, Afghanistan. About 9300 ft elevation. Same spot the MH-47 got shot down in the "Lone Survivor" story.
Nice to see another grunt in the mix!

Hey all,

-Jack
AT2 IFT here P3AB Mod VP -91 , 82-86. Spent many a day at Barbers fixing the planes while the pilots went to the "beach". Good times!!

Tinnitus= full medical with the VA..

AT2 IFT here P3AB Mod VP -91 , 82-86. Spent many a day at Barbers fixing the planes while the pilots went to the "beach". Good times!!

Tinnitus= full medical with the VA..
What's that Nick? I couldn't hear you ;)

Seriously though, my hearing is one place I cant complain. Half of my 20+ years have been spent next to those damn APUs and still I've improved over baseline.

What's that Nick? I couldn't hear you ;)

Seriously though, my hearing is one place I cant complain. Half of my 20+ years have been spent next to those damn APUs and still I've improved over baseline.
Lucky you.. mine rings 24/7.. white noise and Pink Floyd helps. 😁

Hi, all. Army Reservist here, split time between the reserves and active duty including a deployment to Afghanistan. I'm currently on the IRR, because my civilian gig took me overseas--probably done at this point as I've gotten my fill of Army/DoD annoyances but never say never, I guess. I'm new to the Toyota 4x4 and larger offroading world although I did learn to drive stick on Bagram in a very crappy Hilux. My screen name is an in-joke with my wife; I've never actually owned a 4Runner. I recently got stuck CONUS for a few months, waiting to return to my overseas assignment. Each time I'd go in to renew, I kept hounding the rental company to find me a 4Runner amidst my budding Toyota interest. When I would show up, the employees would say, "It's 4Runner guy!" so I figured it was appropriate for here. Currently, I'm back on leave and I'm looking to buy some flavor of GX, LX, or LC for when I'm stateside, so I've been poking around the forum a lot.

Hey everyone,

Served in the Navy 86-94 then I went off and had a normal life. I was flying medevac in Alaska during 9-11 and decided to try to go back in. Long story, the short version Navy said maybe Army said welcomeand we will commission you. I ended up being medically retired in April 2022.

I have wanted an FJ 40 since I was 10 and I finally got a 1977 FJ. My wife said I needed a hobby, so I took advantage of that. Now all of the fun stuff is going to start. Lots to do EFI upgrade,electrical fixes, disk brakes, and so much more.

Jose

41388.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom