Welcome to the 200 Series Forums: Start Here and Read First (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey Folks,
Sales associate asked me about a customer wanting to buy a 200 series to haul a 27ft boat and whether its feasible or not. I advised against it but wanted to get other opinions. I told him the trailer is probably close to 1k lbs and the weight of the boat (customer doesn't know the weight) would be pushing close to the approved weight capacity for the 200 series. Any thoughts?

Salesman was concerned about pushing the tranny. I was concerned about the brakes.
Thank you in advance...

Without total weight, and whether the trailer has brakes, it’s tough for folks to respond. When you have that info, there are guys here who will definitely be able to respond. Might wanna post in the main forum thread though, as this thread is mostly for introductions...

Ping @Angelo1 ...if memory serves, I think he hauls a fairly large boat with his 200...?

Last edited:
Without total weight, and whether the trailer has brakes, it’s tough for folks to respond. When you have that info, there are guys here who will definitely be able to respond. Might wanna post in the main forum thread though, as this thread is mostly for introductions...

Ping @Angelo1 ...if memory serves, I think he hauls a fairly large boat with his 200...?

Thanks for the response. I know it's a loaded question. I've asked the dealership for details...even the brand of boat. Ha. I will ping Angelo1...cheers!

Hello all,

I’m new to the forum and new to Toyota ownership. My wife and I have had bad luck with our past 2 GM purchases. When fuel economy/impressing the EPA is put ahead of reliability/longevity in a truck design, it’s time for me to try a different design. So we recently dumped one of our GM cars for a new to us 2016 200 series. Both of my parents drive Toyotas and have put tons of miles on them without any major issues other than routine maintanence. My grandfather also owned a 1983 doo doo brown 60 series that I admired every time I saw it in the garage. All of these things combined made me gravitate to Land Cruisers when exploring new car options. I’ve been on the hunt for about a year and finally pulled the trigger when this 200 popped up in our area of NW Arkansas. Bought locally and serviced locally. Midnight black metallic, black interior. Hopefully we have better luck with what is supposed to be one of the most reliable/well built vehicles for sale today. Looking forward to seeing how you guys use and mod your Cruisers and looking forward to gleaning knowledge from those with much more cruiser experience than myself. Cheers!

Hello all,

I’m new to the forum and new to Toyota ownership. My wife and I have had bad luck with our past 2 GM purchases. When fuel economy/impressing the EPA is put ahead of reliability/longevity in a truck design, it’s time for me to try a different design. So we recently dumped one of our GM cars for a new to us 2016 200 series. Both of my parents drive Toyotas and have put tons of miles on them without any major issues other than routine maintanence. My grandfather also owned a 1983 doo doo brown 60 series that I admired every time I saw it in the garage. All of these things combined made me gravitate to Land Cruisers when exploring new car options. I’ve been on the hunt for about a year and finally pulled the trigger when this 200 popped up in our area of NW Arkansas. Bought locally and serviced locally. Midnight black metallic, black interior. Hopefully we have better luck with what is supposed to be one of the most reliable/well built vehicles for sale today. Looking forward to seeing how you guys use and mod your Cruisers and looking forward to gleaning knowledge from those with much more cruiser experience than myself. Cheers!
Welcome!!

Hello all,

Welcome!

Welcome!!! :cheers:

Hello all,

Welcome bro...pics?

Hello all,

Welcome! You will love the LC200 and never look back. Congratulations on finding one in your area. My main residence is up in MA, but I spend part of the time down south on the LA/AR border, so we aren't terribly far away! :)

Hi everyone! I've been lurking for a while now researching the LC and finally posting - and I'll apologize that this is a little long but this explains pretty solidly how I came across buying my first LC. Recently my wife and I had a 2019 Yukon XL and a 2016 Range Rover SC. I really liked our Rover - we bought it gently used because I would never buy one of those new, and was in great shape - a CPO - and the supercharged engine was fun for sure, but I couldn't ever become comfortable with the lack of reliability. Plus the closest RR dealer for warranty work was 90 minutes away so it wasn't very convenient. We never had anything major happen with it but there were several electrical gremlins that would pop up from time to time that they couldn't ever figure out and so we decided to off load it while we could still get something decent for it since they depreciate like a rock. While there things about it we really liked, there was a lot not to like and we would not keep it at all out of warranty, so we chose to dump it. The Yukon we bought new and we don't often buy new. But we were planning to keep it long term and we got a decent end of year deal on it so we felt it was a good purchase. It was the Denali trim so it was nice and all, but what a POS it turned out to be. It had less than 10k miles when we got rid of it and the thing sounded like a rusty spring mattress driving down the road it had so many squeaks and rattles - that our GMC dealer couldn't ever figure out. And these were not subtle rattles that you could only hear on a calm day with the radio off - we've had lots of cars over the years and this was by far the worst I've experienced as far as squeaks go. It had electrical gremlins too which were random so they could never diagnose. The engine idled so rough it would shake the whole car, and on a cold day start up, it would let out this awful grinding noise as it turned over. This was explained to me that... well it's a big V8 and they'll do that... I've had V8s...I've had diesels...no they don't do that. And being a Denali I was dumb enough to think it would be assembled to a higher standard. Nope - it was extremely disappointing.

So at this point we just wanted something nice, solid and reliable. That's when we came across the Lexus GX460. We stumbled across it for a replacement for the Rover and since they are so popular we had several used ones to choose from. When we discovered the lineage to the J150 and how well they're built, we decided to check one out, and fell in love with a 2016 CPO. Very nice but not over the top. Super solid - no squeaks or rattles of any kind, stupidly reliable - it was perfect. Very nice to drive - sure it wasn't a supercharged RR but at the end of the day, it got you from A to B in the same fashion. We went ahead and got an extended warranty on it just because it was so inexpensive and it was through Lexus directly and not a third party which was nice.

So after all of this, we came away very impressed with Toyotas. Every GX we test drove felt solid no matter how many miles it had on it. And after messing with the yukon and getting nowhere with it, we decided it would be worth it to take the hit and and just get out of it. Used LCs are harder to come by and I did find a really good deal on a 2019 but it was 90 minutes away and while I was dealing with them over the phone and before I could put a deposit down to hold it, someone came on the lot and bought it. Then I found a 2016 with 39k on it and was in great shape. It was at Carmax but it was by far the best available price and mileage wise, and it's nice because they'll ship the car closer to you - so it was 3 hours away and they shipped it closer and put a hold on it for no charge which was great. So when I had the chance to get eyes on it, it was even better in person so we took the plunge and are very happy that we did. We love it. And again, what I can't get over even after having it for a couple of weeks now, is just how solid it is. Just like the Lexus - really nice but not crazy. Everything you touch from the ancient Toyota cruise control dongle to the latch on the glove box just feels purposefully engineered - I love it! Yeah the tech is a little dated but that's fine with me - I've had the latest and greatest and was disappointed. I am anything but with both of our Js.

IMG_6121.JPG
IMG_5801.JPG

Hi everyone! I've been lurking for a while now researching the LC and finally posting - and I'll apologize that this is a little long but this explains pretty solidly how I came across buying my first LC. Recently my wife and I had a 2019 Yukon XL and a 2016 Range Rover SC. I really liked our Rover - we bought it gently used because I would never buy one of those new, and was in great shape - a CPO - and the supercharged engine was fun for sure, but I couldn't ever become comfortable with the lack of reliability. Plus the closest RR dealer for warranty work was 90 minutes away so it wasn't very convenient. We never had anything major happen with it but there were several electrical gremlins that would pop up from time to time that they couldn't ever figure out and so we decided to off load it while we could still get something decent for it since they depreciate like a rock. While there things about it we really liked, there was a lot not to like and we would not keep it at all out of warranty, so we chose to dump it. The Yukon we bought new and we don't often buy new. But we were planning to keep it long term and we got a decent end of year deal on it so we felt it was a good purchase. It was the Denali trim so it was nice and all, but what a POS it turned out to be. It had less than 10k miles when we got rid of it and the thing sounded like a rusty spring mattress driving down the road it had so many squeaks and rattles - that our GMC dealer couldn't ever figure out. And these were not subtle rattles that you could only hear on a calm day with the radio off - we've had lots of cars over the years and this was by far the worst I've experienced as far as squeaks go. It had electrical gremlins too which were random so they could never diagnose. The engine idled so rough it would shake the whole car, and on a cold day start up, it would let out this awful grinding noise as it turned over. This was explained to me that... well it's a big V8 and they'll do that... I've had V8s...I've had diesels...no they don't do that. And being a Denali I was dumb enough to think it would be assembled to a higher standard. Nope - it was extremely disappointing.

So at this point we just wanted something nice, solid and reliable. That's when we came across the Lexus GX460. We stumbled across it for a replacement for the Rover and since they are so popular we had several used ones to choose from. When we discovered the lineage to the J150 and how well they're built, we decided to check one out, and fell in love with a 2016 CPO. Very nice but not over the top. Super solid - no squeaks or rattles of any kind, stupidly reliable - it was perfect. Very nice to drive - sure it wasn't a supercharged RR but at the end of the day, it got you from A to B in the same fashion. We went ahead and got an extended warranty on it just because it was so inexpensive and it was through Lexus directly and not a third party which was nice.

So after all of this, we came away very impressed with Toyotas. Every GX we test drove felt solid no matter how many miles it had on it. And after messing with the yukon and getting nowhere with it, we decided it would be worth it to take the hit and and just get out of it. Used LCs are harder to come by and I did find a really good deal on a 2019 but it was 90 minutes away and while I was dealing with them over the phone and before I could put a deposit down to hold it, someone came on the lot and bought it. Then I found a 2016 with 39k on it and was in great shape. It was at Carmax but it was by far the best available price and mileage wise, and it's nice because they'll ship the car closer to you - so it was 3 hours away and they shipped it closer and put a hold on it for no charge which was great. So when I had the chance to get eyes on it, it was even better in person so we took the plunge and are very happy that we did. We love it. And again, what I can't get over even after having it for a couple of weeks now, is just how solid it is. Just like the Lexus - really nice but not crazy. Everything you touch from the ancient Toyota cruise control dongle to the latch on the glove box just feels purposefully engineered - I love it! Yeah the tech is a little dated but that's fine with me - I've had the latest and greatest and was disappointed. I am anything but with both of our Js.

View attachment 2213573View attachment 2213574
Very nice!
What is your oil pressure gauge reading in the Cruiser at hwy speeds when engine is warmed up?
How do you compare the two interiors?

Very nice!
What is your oil pressure gauge reading in the Cruiser at hwy speeds when engine is warmed up?
How do you compare the two interiors?

The first question is an odd one - but the oil pressure gauge warmed up at highway speeds rests about 1/4 to 1/3 up the dial. Why do you ask?

The interiors between the two are not too different IMO. The Lexus is a little more refined but not by much. The LC has a really nice interior - great leathers, soft touch panels, not a ton of cheap plastics and everything you touch feels well built. Interestingly our Rover was a 2016 as well and it's interior wasn't leaps and bounds better than the LC or the Lexus. The tech was more rudimentary in the Rover and it was chocked full of demons. My favorite was the random honking going down the road or while parking, or while waiting in the kids' pick up line - that was always great timing ;). The funny thing is the Rover felt solid in ways I didn't expect, but really crappy in ways it shouldn't for a vehicle at that price point - it's weird - I wanted to love it and I was super excited that I had the opportunity to get one, but it never lived up to the expectation - the LC so far has more than do so.

The first question is an odd one - but the oil pressure gauge warmed up at highway speeds rests about 1/4 to 1/3 up the dial. Why do you ask?

The interiors between the two are not too different IMO. The Lexus is a little more refined but not by much. The LC has a really nice interior - great leathers, soft touch panels, not a ton of cheap plastics and everything you touch feels well built. Interestingly our Rover was a 2016 as well and it's interior wasn't leaps and bounds better than the LC or the Lexus. The tech was more rudimentary in the Rover and it was chocked full of demons. My favorite was the random honking going down the road or while parking, or while waiting in the kids' pick up line - that was always great timing ;). The funny thing is the Rover felt solid in ways I didn't expect, but really crappy in ways it shouldn't for a vehicle at that price point - it's weird - I wanted to love it and I was super excited that I had the opportunity to get one, but it never lived up to the expectation - the LC so far has more than do so.

i find it unsettling that normal pressure reads low. High should be 3/4 and low should read 1/4. Normal should read/show in the middle.

I've never seen a gauge on any equipment or auto where the normal pressure reads/shows low at operational speeds unless it is low on oil. Typically it would be above 1/2 at operational temps and speeds unless at idle.

This is my first post on ih8mud. I was introduced to Land Cruisers by a cousin a few years back, and about 3 years ago bought my first. It's a 2008 pictured below. It's been great, very reliable and capable, though I will say I'd love a bigger fuel tank. Thanks to all who have provided so much useful info in the 200 series forum. I just installed a Front Runner roof rack and successfully did so without dropping any hardware into the headliner thanks to forum tips!
LC at Linville Gorge medium - Copy.jpg

This is my first post on ih8mud. I was introduced to Land Cruisers by a cousin a few years back, and about 3 years ago bought my first. It's a 2008 pictured below. It's been great, very reliable and capable, though I will say I'd love a bigger fuel tank. Thanks to all who have provided so much useful info in the 200 series forum. I just installed a Front Runner roof rack and successfully did so without dropping any hardware into the headliner thanks to forum tips!

Welcome! You don’t happen to live around Greensboro? I periodically see a similar silver 200 with body matched ARB and Rock Warriors, can’t be too many of those running around NC. If not you, at least you both have excellent taste!

Welcome! You don’t happen to live around Greensboro? I periodically see a similar silver 200 with body matched ARB and Rock Warriors, can’t be too many of those running around NC. If not you, at least you both have excellent taste!
Thanks! Yes, that's probably me you've seen.

I don't exactly know when it started... but for the longest time I have always been enamored by the Landcruiser. I would randomly see one in the wild everynow and then and would proceed to daydream about owning one myself. I would speak highpraises of the LC without ever have driven one - just reciting various stats I've come across in my casual obsession. My family/friends were tired of hearing this... but at least they're well informed and probably closet LC fans now. Fast forward to a couple months ago and I was forced to look for a new vehicle... this was my chance and I took advantage of it. I'm now a proud owner of 200 series.

I'm excited a community like ih8mud exists and is thriving - its a tremendous source of intel and I intend to share all my experiences as others have done before me. I do not plan on turning my rig into overland beast but we'll see where the road takes me... all i know is, this is the right forum for me - filled with equally obsessed Landcruiser worshipers... i'm in a safe place.

20200223_144554.jpg

I guess I haven't formerly introduced myself to the 200 group. My journey with Toyota started 30 years ago in a 5 speed 1980 Corona and I've only driven Toyotas ever since. I do pretty much all of my own maintenance, repair, and upgrade work. I do it for therapy, compulsiveness in making sure it's done right, and lastly to save a few bucks. Mostly the first two reasons! I bought my first Land Cruiser in 2011, a 100 series, and just sold it a couple of months ago. Between then and now I picked up a 40 and a triple locked 80. The 40 is gone is but I won't let go of the 80. Most recently I picked up a clean 2008 Land Cruiser from the PNW. I originally intended on picking up a low mileage 200, but ended up with one that has 228,000 miles on it! It's a one owner well taken care of vehicle. 100% dealer serviced and it came with a lot of extra goodies:

ARB front and rear bumpers
ARB steps
Warn 9500 winch
Front Runner Rack
ARB underbelly armor
GROM/Vline
Hi Lift (Yes he threw in a brand new hi lift!)
PIAA Led bulbs
OME lift
A second OME lift that he replaced because it was 1" too high (so I have a full spare lift!)
I also have both ARB rear swing outs

The original owner was meticulous. He replaced steering wheel because of the wear on the wood grain. So it has a brand new steering wheel (I have the old one too). He replaced the head lights and front valence because of normal wear.

There are some maintenance items that needed to be addressed so my plan was to take care of them once I took ownership of it. I'm thinking of starting a "high mileage" build thread to document what I've done but to also help others with high mileage 200s. What do you think?

Anyway, I'm really excited about this 200 and very happy with the purchase!

FF3949DE-40DC-422A-932A-EFD73272F9FE.jpeg

0B1681E0-5FAC-4C0D-9FBF-163EE1923C15.jpeg

Hello All:

I'm one of your new moderators here in the 200 section of IH8MUD.com which is, ostensibly, the world largest and most important internet-based repository of LC knowledge and community.

I am a devoted Cruiser Head and own a number of running and non-running Cruisers.

My main goal in the 200 series section is difficult to declare in any manner that might not come across as being overly "cautious". I say this due to the contentious nature of discussion--historically--between those whom own 200 series Cruisers (in all of their variations) and those who do not and maybe are here to get information, to see what the 200 series is all about, or other non-technical pursuits. There has been, as we all well know, significant amounts of mis-information and dis-information that has been posted here and represented as "bona fide technical information" about these vehicles that have become evident and apparent as being not only false but, using internet terminology, "troll-like behaviour."

This forum will continue to be an important area of technical information and knowledge. I want this section to be an informative area where those whom own the 200 can share tech tips, issues, modifications, upgrades, etc., without feeling like someone will come in and bash their vehicle and it's value to that individual. This location will also serve as an important location for those folks looking at the 200 series to add to their collection of Land Cruisers (perhaps) or if they are a first-time purchaser of a Toyota Land Cruiser, for this location to reflect the important heritage and history of this iconic vehicle.

I am quite serious about this as I want to make this sub section just as important as the other subsections here on MUD that are at the tops of internet web searching hits and rankings. I want people to come to MUD to discuss, research, and share their information and love of the 200 series variant of the Toyota Land Cruiser.

With that all being said, I hope that this location will suit many of the needs of 200 series owners and potential owners in the future; I hope this location will provide valuable information through experience and knowledge; I hope this location will be a place to share and discuss and commune.

If you have any issues, feel free to contact me via PM or email. I'll be happy to address any concerns members might have with interaction that goes on in the 200 section.

With Best Regards,
-onur
View attachment 589899
Cheers

Hello!

New LC200 owner. It has been one of my dream cars ever since my dad had a 70 series back in Central America. Traded in an FJ for this. I must say, I don’t miss the FJ. The ride is so nice in the LC200, plus, my Saint Bernard has more space now. Already took it out for some beach sand driving and it performed well. Planning on keeping this thing forever.

looking forward to sharing and learning from the community.

B508E9CE-05BE-4B91-9879-C9B583BF937E.jpeg

A89A9E33-7B00-4E61-B652-5F7005AFE50C.jpeg

9ECDB764-D2F5-4106-B114-271D5BB26790.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom