weird sputtering (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
on my 89 62 I've got a weird sputtering. I idle fine and foot to the floor no problem but it seems to have less power than it should. at mid throttle though it sputters, coughs, backfires, and basically runs like crap. but if you punch it or let off the gas it goes back to normal. I know theres gotta be something I'm missing. it doesnt seem to be related to my rusty tank cause I got through a dat in the woods after my last tank drop, no worries. getting back on the main roads though the problems began.

okay no one has any ideas. well i've been hard at it pulling tanks, checking under dist. for water, and changing saprk plugs. #1 plug was horrible some kind of material had clogged the electrode, the rest were rust colored(almost look dyed). The fuel coming from the tank(at the filter) has cleared up remarkably, it was opaque orange and is no hardly tinged red at all. I took the intake hoses off and sprayed down TB and intake(3/4 of a can of cleaner). put it back together, fired it up and used the rest of the can in front of the MAF. RPM changed some. when I drove back the house it was great no problems at all. Now it's doing it again. In first or second gear(auto tranny) and below 1500rpm it will sputter and backfire(not loud like a usual backfire) if I give it about 1/3 throttle. Any less it's fine and from about 1/2 throttle on to full it's fine. Also it won't do it in park or neutral only when under a load. And it doesn't seem to do it if I click down to L on the shifter, but the problems come back when I go up to 2. Please help me this is driving me nuts!!!

Noob response here
Have you changed the fuel filter?
Something seems clogged and fuel related for sure.

when I first started having problems in Jan. when I bought the truck, I initially solved the problem of a clogged pump pickup by pulling the screen and pumping right to the filter. I want to say Thurs.of last week I grabbed my spare filter from my kit of spares and changed out the filter. The one I ran the truck on since Jan. with no gas in it weighs more than a full can of soda it contains so much rust. Also when I blew the fuel out of the filter on the engine side fuel came out very orange, on the tank side it was like a rust/gas paste. dropped the tank on Sat.

On my brake question I was pointed toward the booster being leaky as the cause for my sputter(vac. leak). will go out and check in a little bit. I have worn myself out on truck and need to recharge.

when I first started having problems in Jan. when I bought the truck, I initially solved the problem of a clogged pump pickup by pulling the screen and pumping right to the filter. I want to say Thurs.of last week I grabbed my spare filter from my kit of spares and changed out the filter. The one I ran the truck on since Jan. with no gas in it weighs more than a full can of soda it contains so much rust. Also when I blew the fuel out of the filter on the engine side fuel came out very orange, on the tank side it was like a rust/gas paste. dropped the tank on Sat.

On my brake question I was pointed toward the booster being leaky as the cause for my sputter(vac. leak). will go out and check in a little bit. I have worn myself out on truck and need to recharge.

man you have bad gas, crap in your lines, possibly trash in the carbor a clogged fuel injector(don't know what you have). that screen need to stay on the intake in the tank. it keeps big trash out let the filter catch the small stuff. flush the whole system and get a new tank. if it had rust in it , it will continue to ruin your fuel system until you get a clean one.

well the pickupscreen off alowed me to have a daily driver and not something to look at and wish I could drive and find wor to pay for of many things a new tank I've deciided to drop the tank again tommorrow after my trip to toyota for my brake o-ring, that oughtta burn enough gas. when the tank gets clean enough the screen will go back on cause of other things like waiting for the pump to prime while cranking the engine. or inability to pickup gas at different angles.

anyone cahritable enough to provide me with a new tank and shipping and a million dollars cash unmarked and steady enough work not to have to pick and choose what bills or debts to pay month to month, and I'd be happy to install it on my truck.

anyone cahritable enough to provide me with a new tank and shipping and a million dollars cash unmarked and steady enough work not to have to pick and choose what bills or debts to pay month to month, and I'd be happy to install it on my truck.

i hear ya. you can get nickel and dimed to death fixing someone elses years of neglect. Just have to plug along. fix as you can and keep it runing.

Just my .02

lack of fuel though can have collateral damaging effects. lean conditions due to low fuel pressure or flow can cause overheating, pistion and valve damage, ruin your fuel pump, etc. post a wanted in the classified section and maybe a mud member can help you out.

I think I can resolve this sputtering if it boils down to the tank being rusty. But leanness could explain the slight rise in op. temp. when i was spraying intake cleaner like a mad man I found theres like a 1/4inch of sludgeon the inside. It stopped passing oil into the intake after an engine flush w/oil change. I also ju foud out that I may be swapping the front axle with the one off my 62 I'm gonna put this power plant and drive train in. It's shaping up to be a full day tommorrow, what' the harmin throwing in a tank drop/clean as wel/l

Have you checked to see if the recall was done on your tank. You may be able to get a free one

Have you checked to see if the recall was done on your tank. You may be able to get a free one
Someone suggested that so I had toyota run both of my vins no dice both were already done also I dropped my other tank to speculate on cleaning it ... The inside looked like a cut on a pine tree, almost like beads of sap, plenty of laquer too whoever stored that one did a bang up job. they also stored it with the head off the engine .why I wanted to swap motors instead of reassembly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom