Weird Noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm getting a weird rubbing noise at low rpm's. Can hear it when I take off and feel it under the drivers floorboard. It doesn't happen all the time but it does seem like its happening more frequently. 96 80 series, locking diff's,69k...Any thoughts?

Maybe you have a :cat: under your truck.
In all seriousness a little more info would help. Like mods and service history. The obvious thing to check would be your drive shafts.

I bought it 3 months ago with 66k on it. Prev owners were both woman. No mods have been done on it. Most recent service was for the front knuckles. I just had the fan clutch replaced a month ago, tech noted the power steering pump was leaking a little but nothing to be concerned about at this time. My first thought would be the U-joints but hard to say. It really feels like its right below my feet when it makes the sound. I'm have a private mechanic look at it Sunday/Monday...just wanted someone elses opinion. I know its hard to do without driving it. Oh one more note, I do feel a little extra (more than normal) vibration at low rps when I'm taking off....

Rather then pay a mechanic to tell you something is wrong, why don't you just get under your truck and check? Your drive shafts are probably in need of a good lube and one of your u joints could have grenaded by now. For what it's gonna cost you to pay that mechanic to tell you something you already know you could have just bought a Toy FSM...

Good point. I have crawled under it many times to attempt to locate the problem. Isn't it somewhat hard to tell with u joints (gone bad) until you pull them? The front shaft is solid, no play. Plus everything was just greased about a month ago at the Toyota dealer. I will go today on eBay and buy the service book for it. I think you could be right though about the ujoints. Transf/Tranny fluid is fine, clean too. Might have been over/under greased. Thanks for the help. BTW, great pic for your tag....

Thanks (about the avatar) but don't tell his momma ;)

You could be getting a pretty good vibe if there is too much grease in the driveshaft. Take of the zerk fitting, undue one end and compress. As far as the ujoints go a visual inspection will not do much unless the cage is already broken. Remember to use really good matchmarks if you take your shafts off. If you take a shaft off and after you grease the u joint if there is a hitch in the joint when you try to cycle it that could be your problem. WHAT EVER YOU DO, MAKE SURE TO PUT THE D SHAFTS BACK ON IN THE DIRECT PLACE YOU TOOK THEM OFF.

Will do. Can any serious damage be done if perhaps the shaft was overgreased? This lady use to take it to Jiffy Lube, not that there's anything wrong with that but I know the slip yokes require only a small amount of grease every 5,000 km....I'm just convinced this is whats wrong. To low of miles and to good of a tranny(toyota) for this thing to have problems. Thanks again!

Tank,

>> 5,000 km.... <<

You mention km and that the vibration is on the driver side. We can't tell your country from the profile. Just curious, is this a LH drive vehicle?

-B-

From good old Nebraska......sorry, I'm a newbie to these wonderful vehicles, what's LH drive? I'm starting to think this may be trans or transf case related. Can tell yet. A friend who works and owns LC's will help me look at it tomorrow.

Tank,
LH = Left Hand. Jim's is RH drive since he lives in the UK. It helps us better understand where the noise is coming from since all you gave us was "driver floorboard" and we couldn't tell if you were from the US. When you used kilometers, that got me wondering if you were from a country with RH drive vehicles.

Sorry, I don't have much else to add without some more information from you regarding when you hear the rubbing noise. Is it during turns? Do bumps cause the rubbing? There are just too many variables, but moralien gave you some good things to check.

Please let us know what you find.
-B-

Nope, no turns or bumps. To be honest, its somewhat gone away now. It usually would happen when I would take off. It sounded liked a gear or something rubbing..getting faster the more I accelerated. Usually would happen around 1k to 2k rpms. I've crawled under and checked everything, can't find anything that would hit or rub. One more note, lately it has a tendency to "clank" when I come to a stop..but this doesn't always happen. Can really feel it with the AC on. I'm just lost at this point. I hope my friend can bring some light to it. I just hope its nothing too serious.

I'm sure you have already figured this out, but yes it is LHD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom