We Have a Celebrity!!!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Brentbba

Former Golfer
Threads
Our very own Boydmick (Boyd Mickley) made the ABC national news last night! He was interviewed for a piece on the huge waves at The Wedge in Newport Beach!

Great job Boyd!!!!!

Nice, well done Boyd!

Lifeguards have been and will be earning their pay over the next few days! It's crazy huge out there and some people have lost their minds. So many people who go out in this stuff shouldn't be out there.

Hows the surf at San Clemente Nathan?

It's been big, to big for my liking... Not 18-25 any more, but there have been a great deal of people in the water who feel comfortable with the large sets coming in. We have lost a lot of sand in some places making the beach very small. But so far we've done pretty good.

Boyd was mentioned in article today in the OC Register about retiring longtime Newport Beach lifeguard Jim Turner. Here is an excerpt where Boyd is mentioned:

Q. What was the most memorable rescue?

A. It was with Capt. Boyd Mickley, his rookie year on Fourth of July, 1983. We got a call of a swimmer in distress in the dark at Little Corona. The helicopter was below us on the cliff line. There was a gentleman clinging on the rocks. The waves were just crashing on the inside. I looked at this 17-year-old rookie lifeguard and said “go” and I can’t believe it, he did. He took off in the darkness. I made a couple radio calls, ‘send the police, fire department!’ There’s rocks all over the side. Boyd pulled up and said ‘get off the rocks.’ I pulled up as he got the victim to jump off the rocks. We started to swim away, and a wave came and we bounced right across the rocks. We all had cuts and scrapes.

Full article here: http://www.ocregister.com/articles/-632855--.html

LOL - logged in to add that very article quote to this thread!!! Sounds like Boyd may be able to retire soon like Jim Turner. Didn't realize Boyd has been a lifeguard for 31 years. Way to go Boyd!

Didn't realize Boyd has been a lifeguard for 31 years. Way to go Boyd!

Did you think I just started?! Sheesh! :rolleyes:

Funny thing is that rescue is one of my most memorable as well.

Lots of crazy surf all summer long. Some spots haven't been that good since 1977! It was a hell of a summer; literally life changing. We had the first line of duty death of a lifeguard in the Department's history. Rocked our world hard and devastated the community.

Things are just now beginning to normalize and move forward. And I'm about as close to retiring as you are Brent :flipoff2:

Glad to see you still around my friend!

See post 11

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom