Water Storage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been searching for the right water container over the years and think I may have found a good solution.
I typically travel with a couple gallons of drinking water that's in disposable gallon containers, so The storage container is to supplement that. I want enough water for a weekend for wife and I. This is for emergency drinking water and for basic hygiene and cooking. I have tried the usual 5 gallon blue big box retail containers but found the spouts break too frequently and slosh water around in back of my truck. I also tried the water bricks, but they too leak and are kind of a pain in the ass to use. The manufactured water spouts are in the middle of the lid on container, so you cant get much water out of them when stored in the truck. I modified one and put a spout on the bottom and then a vent on top which improved usability but still had leaking issues around cap as it heat cycled through the day.
What if I could find a 3-4 gallon container that fit on my Puma mount and was shaped to not be awkward and unwieldy, had a spout on top so leaks would not be an issue, I could pressurize it to dispense with a built in pump? What if it had the capability to filter river/stream/lake water in an emergency too?
I bought this a couple months ago and have used it a couple times. I am very happy with it so far. I plan to use filtered water in it to preserve the filters for emergencies that I hope I never encounter.
Two stage filtration and storage. I bought it on Zuliliy for $99, not seeing it there any longer. It is well built, heavy and has baffle/support inside.
The filer ratings are 1- 10,000 gallons and 2-250 gallons. That is a lot of camp drinking water and I figure if I start with good filtered water I will not need to replace them before the container is no longer functional.

https://www.amazon.com/HydroBlu-Pre...ocphy=9030986&hvtargid=pla-349711054970&psc=1

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

This is great, thanks for sharing.

Is the plastic BPA free? Just asking because water in plastic is not as safe as one might think.

Zona

This is great, thanks for sharing.

Is the plastic BPA free? Just asking because water in plastic is not as safe as one might think.

Zona

Yup, Specs from their website

FEATURES:
  • Removes 99.999% of all bacteria, such as E.coli, salmonella, and cholera. It also removes 99.999% of all protozoan cysts, including giardia, cryptosporidium and other protozoa.
  • 0.1 Micron hollow fiber membrane
  • Perfect for camping, travel and for emergency situations
  • Flow rate of 1 gallon in 3 minutes
  • Activated Carbon storage compartments
INCLUDES:
  • 1 – Pressurized Jerry Can
  • 1 – 0.1 Hollow fiber filter
  • 1 - Activated charcoal filter
TECHNICAL SPECS:
  • Filter Material: Activated Charcoal and Hollow Fiber (in separate filters
  • Removes: chemicals, heavy metals, discoloration, Bacteria, Protozoan cysts, Giardia, Cryptosporidium, E. Coli, and Salmonella
  • Filter Life: up to 10,000 gallons
  • Filter Capacity (size): 15 liters or 4 gallons
  • Weight: 4.7 lbs
  • BPA Free
  • Dimensions: 14" x 12" x 8"

This is what I use:

Nice review. I'm still toying with a WaterPort setup, but haven't figured out where to mount it yet, because it's pretty big and heavy when full with 4 gallons of water. I like the filtration this offers,

I liked the Water Port, but ended up making my own minus the filter. Had my 5 gallon Scepter can laying around. Added a mount to my cargo deck to strap it in. Pretty happy so far. It's easy to fill from the water bricks if I need to carry more than 5 gallons. Easily accessible from rear passenger door by my fridge. Don't have to open up the swing out.

IMG_20190421_144352.jpg
IMG_20190707_213024.jpg

The Specter 5 gallon water jug is pretty sweet as well. When I met @Ken in AZ and saw the one he uses, I had to get one. Bought it at Sportsmans Wharehouse

Thread update. The pump has started to fail. I suspect it didn’t like sitting in a hot truck all year. I have reached out to the maker for support, ie asked them if the can sell me seals to rebuild the pump. I will see what they have to say and report back.

One issue I've always wondered about is when using filters that claim 10,000 gallons, is that single use continuos duty? Or is the filter capable of intermittent duty, with storage between uses not subject to a bacterial overload since the filter media is by nature dark, damp, and free of chlorine for months at a time?

Back when I was boating, even my water maker needed special care if I stored it between trips, basically had to pickle the membrane and prefilters so they wouldn't get eaten by bacteria. Even then the general recommendation was to replace the prefilters before restarting the system.

Resolved. After closer inspection the rubber valve on the pump had fallen into the tank. Reinstalled and is working fine again. Manufacturer offered support, would sell me O-rings for replacement, just didn’t end up needing them.

4CE3518E-DFB9-4FB2-BC70-FB9624D66EFD.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom